Talk

Advanced search

Crematorium Technician here

(687 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

kermitrulesok Thu 31-May-18 13:11:53

I see lots of threads about cremations and Crematoria. I'm currently a crem tech so please ask me questions and I will endeavor to answer them.

makingmiracles Fri 01-Jun-18 14:44:34

Why does the smoke come out of the chimney black?

When I lost my best friend a couple of years ago, when we stepped outside the chapel bit, about 10mins later black smoke was coming out of the chimney, was quite horrible tbh

kateandme Fri 01-Jun-18 15:15:26

have you ever had anyone try to stop a relative being cremated.or break ins.
do you do animals?

Mibby16 Fri 01-Jun-18 15:45:58

Thank you ILoveKermit

Have requested this is moved to Classics smile

Firstdatesfear Fri 01-Jun-18 15:49:56

Wow, what a thread!

When my Grandma was cremated last year, we put the ashes of her dead cat in with her, it it’s little coffin as she was an ancient Egypt fan so it seemed a little fitting. They took them without a problem.

Zaphodsotherhead Fri 01-Jun-18 16:01:38

Thank you catinboots. I'm fine, really.

ChimpyChops Fri 01-Jun-18 16:38:42

What an interesting thread, thankyou Kermit. I work in end of life care and it fascinates me what happens after they leave us. The undertakers I have dealt with have always been very respectful when coming to collect a person, they speak to them with their proper names and so gently.

We have a chance to go and have a tour of a local funeral parlour and I am going to see if we can also set up a tour or certainly a talk at the local crematorium too.

UpstartCrow Fri 01-Jun-18 16:55:03

@ILoveKermit Your thread has been interesting and informative, thanks for posting.

kermitrulesok Fri 01-Jun-18 16:57:14

@Pebbles789 we put ashes in a suitable container to be either collected by family or funeral director. We can put them in an urn or casket if asked to.

kermitrulesok Fri 01-Jun-18 16:58:53

@Puzzledandpissedoff I've never known slots to be held and normally the religion that this applies to are buried anyway. I have known a grave to be dug on a Saturday ready for Sunday.

kermitrulesok Fri 01-Jun-18 16:59:53

@ciderhouserules we don't reuse heat but I've always thought it's a fabulous idea as the heat is wasted.

kermitrulesok Fri 01-Jun-18 17:02:07

@catinboots9 I know age/name/ashes instructions and date of death. That's all I need to know however I also work in the office so know cause of death.

kermitrulesok Fri 01-Jun-18 17:03:28

@Jenasaurus I believe you would be buried intact but after cremation yes it would be removed and either recycled or returned to your family.

kermitrulesok Fri 01-Jun-18 17:05:56

@SofieMonde we don't have a button as such but I have had someone ask if they could close the door but I couldn't let them unfortunately as it was too close to cremator.

kermitrulesok Fri 01-Jun-18 17:07:27

@makingmiracles chances are that wasn't the funeral that you had just been too but I'm very sorry you had to see that. Sometimes things are put into coffins that we don't see and we have to trust funeral directors.

kermitrulesok Fri 01-Jun-18 17:08:27

@kateandme yes we've had people try to break in but more for gardening tools. And no we don't do animals out cremator is for humans only.

kermitrulesok Fri 01-Jun-18 17:09:16

@ChimpyChops please do as you'll find it very interesting.

Pupsiecola Fri 01-Jun-18 17:10:37

@ciderhouserules is this the article?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-23104502

Excitedforxmas Fri 01-Jun-18 17:36:31

When my baby died years ago I was told the baby might be put on top of another coffin for cremation - would this have been correct as no ashes were given back

Mimsy123 Fri 01-Jun-18 17:37:42

Is it true that if I people are late to a cremation, you can put the deceased on a low-light until everyone arrives?

NorksAreMessy Fri 01-Jun-18 17:39:49

Thank you kermit

Sadly we have lost an Aunty, MIL, FIL stepMIL and a family friend all in the last two years. Each of them was cremated, and although I was curious, there was never a right time to ask ‘so what happens now?’

Thank you for being so kind and respectful. You have made me a bit tearful.

Buxtonstill Fri 01-Jun-18 17:40:00

What an interesting thread. I hope it gets moved to classics. Thanks OP

HappenedForAReisling Fri 01-Jun-18 17:41:05

Do you have any thoughts about the alkaline hydrolysis 'water cremation'? Seems to take longer, and not used here because effluent not approved for going into sewers (yet). Personally, I'd rather go up the chimney than down the drain..........

I'm hoping that's available when I pop my clogs because that's my chosen method.

Icanttakemuchmore Fri 01-Jun-18 17:42:01

Hi. You said pins plates etc are removed from the ashes before they're cremated but they're not ashes until the cremation so do you actually cut the pins plates etc out of the body before cremation?

Topseyt Fri 01-Jun-18 17:45:32

Ican, I think she meant after cremation but before the bones go into the cremulator to be ground to ash.

I could be wrong.

kermitrulesok Fri 01-Jun-18 17:45:55

@Excitedforxmas I really hope not. Sometimes we can't get any ashes after a baby but we endeavor to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »