Talk

Advanced search

Crematorium Technician here

(687 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

kermitrulesok Thu 31-May-18 13:11:53

I see lots of threads about cremations and Crematoria. I'm currently a crem tech so please ask me questions and I will endeavor to answer them.

Chimchar Fri 01-Jun-18 08:57:57

Thank you Kermit.
It is really comforting to know that someone so lovely is looking after our loved ones behind the scenes.
You do a bloody brilliant job.
brewthankscake

HateSummer Fri 01-Jun-18 09:04:24

Thanks, I always thought families weren’t allowed to be there. I know Hindus like to witness the initial process in traditional cremations in India so wondered how that would’ve worked in the uk.

Pebbles789 Fri 01-Jun-18 09:12:47

ILoveKermit.
I haven't been totally sure whether I want to be buried or cremated when my time comes, mainly because I've never really thought about the whole process of cremation.
Thanks to your thread, and the learning about what actually happens , I'm now feeling more sure that cremation is the right thing for me.

Can I ask, do the Crem staff put a person's ashes into their 'final containers' (and if so, have you ever placed ashes into something unusual?) or are ashes put into the same containers and then sent to the Funeral Directors to be placed into containers of the persons/families wishes?

I hope that made sense!

ArcticMumkey Fri 01-Jun-18 09:27:50

Kermit This thread is fantastic thank you for your responses. After my miscarriage it brought me great comfort to know my baby was cremated and their ashes scattered and it's lovely to think of someone being as kind and respectful to them as you are.

Puzzledandpissedoff Fri 01-Jun-18 09:35:26

ILoveKermit can I just say an enormous thank you for this very valuable thread ... you too, @oohnarna for offering to do another from the "FD side"... it's one of the most worthwhile things I've seen on here for some time

My own question: I appreciate that in some cultures it's important for the deceased to be cremated very quickly, but I wondered how this works in light of the 2-3 week wait for slots which often build up (at least round here). Are some "blocks of time" somehow held back so that these wishes can be respected?

Firework1 Fri 01-Jun-18 10:05:02

There’s an excellent documentary on YouTube about cremation and what happens afterwards.

SnugglySnerd Fri 01-Jun-18 10:05:35

oohnarna that would be really interesting. Please could you link to your thread from this one so we can all find it? I think a lot of people have found reassurance from this thread and yours will be equally helpful.

ciderhouserules Fri 01-Jun-18 10:08:57

Thanks for all your clear answers, kermit.

I read somewhere once about a crematorium that 'recycled'the heat into heating the local swimming pool. it caused consternation in the local area with headlines like 'swimming with ashes' etc hmm

Does 'your' crem reuse its leftover heat?

(I went for a job recently for a Funeral Directors - it sounded really interesting and i was gutted when I didn't get it. The office had a 'cold store' in the back and I was asked at interview if I would be nervous working there alone! grin)

ParisUSM Fri 01-Jun-18 10:22:51

I want to have a direct cremation as I really can't stand funerals. I see today that the Co-op has started providing them which is great

www.co-operativefuneralcare.co.uk/arranging-a-funeral/funeral-choices/direct-cremation/how-much-does-it-cost/

catinboots9 Fri 01-Jun-18 10:38:24

@ILoveKermit

How much info do you know about the people you are cremating?

Name? Age? How/why they died?

I have so much admiration for you thanks

Pupsiecola Fri 01-Jun-18 10:53:46

Thank you for this thread @ILoveKermit. I tell DH every few months to remember that I want to be cremated. My grandmother died when I was 7 and whilst I didn't go to the burial I had recurring full on nightmares for weeks and weeks afterwards about being buried alive. It's had quite a profound effect on me in that I cannot go underground (cellar, tunnels etc. (apart from the Channel tunnel weirdly)). Your thread has really resonated with me, and has helped me feel better about this topic.

SchadenfreudePersonified Fri 01-Jun-18 10:58:55

Marking to read later.

Geordiegirl1988 Fri 01-Jun-18 11:37:53

There is an excellent documentey on you tube called " gods waiting room" and it's about a Muslim funeral directors. It is very informative and shows how they wash and prepare the bodies and try to bury the deceased as quickly as possible due to their beliefs and faith. I highly recommend you watch it

Jenasaurus Fri 01-Jun-18 11:48:14

I have a titanium bar in my leg from my knee to my ankle, do you know if I get buried it will remain intact whereas if I get cremated it will get removed?

NotAnotherNoughtiesTune Fri 01-Jun-18 11:55:05

Was just wondering what metal the coffin is placed on as it's skipped in? As in, what material goes inside the cremator that doesn't melt at that high temperature?

OhMyGodTheyKilledKenny Fri 01-Jun-18 11:55:31

What an interesting, reassuring and lovely thread.

I have every admiration for you Kermit and anyone else who works in the "death industry". I think it's a certain person that finds its their calling IYSWIM.

There's a local female funeral director in my home town that is so highly regarded and respected by anyone who has dealt with her. It's so important to have people like her (and you Kermit) at such a difficult time for families.

sherrifffatman Fri 01-Jun-18 11:57:30

Thank you so much for this thread, I'm collecting my DPs ashes in a few days and this has been really helpful x

CookPassBabtridge Fri 01-Jun-18 12:11:48

Thankyou Kermit, it's been a great read. Half of me is so reassured and glad that the process in the UK is so clean and efficient, and half it leaves me feeling cold that its like that! I suppose part of me wants viking boat funeral pyres or burying loved ones in the ground in a shroud and wrapping leaves and flowers all over them grin More naturey burials/cremations that make us connect more with death. But just wouldn't be possible in this country!

Oogle Fri 01-Jun-18 12:19:46

This thread is wonderful, I really hope it can go into classics.

I'm quite an emotional, sappy person but I'd love to work for a funeral director or at the crematorium, I don't know why. I just like the idea of being able to offer comfort to those in sad times.

The funeral director who dealt with my Grandads funeral was wonderful. I saw my Grandad before my Nan and I noticed his hair was combed into the wrong style. I told the FD and he came in, and quietly spoke to my Grandad "Right now Sir, you need to be looking your best for your wife, let me sort your hair out, I'm so sorry I didn't get it right first time". I loved that, he was so respectful.

piefacedClique Fri 01-Jun-18 12:27:54

It’s good know it’s fine in a more dignified manner here. Thank you Kermit. I stumbled upon the American video posted upthread and found it very upsetting after an aunt died. I had so many questions and that video was very disturbing. I personally like the idea of a liquid cremation, mushroom suit or one of the tree pod burials. You are doing a great job Kermit.

SofieMonde Fri 01-Jun-18 12:35:22

Why would a relative want to keep one body part, a bit grim, and which body part would it be? Where would they keep it??

SofieMonde Fri 01-Jun-18 12:38:15

Has any relative ever requested to press the charge button on the cremator?

HoppingPavlova Fri 01-Jun-18 13:20:16

Brilliant thread.

Thank you so much for doing the job that you do and in such a dignified and respectful manner. The world needs more people like you flowers.

Zaphodsotherhead Fri 01-Jun-18 14:15:59

Having had my mum, dad and beloved dog cremated fairly recently, I am sobbing like a baby (but in a good way) at this thread. I don't even know why!

Thank you so much, OP.

catinboots9 Fri 01-Jun-18 14:42:40

@Zaphodsotherhead I'm so sorry for your losses thanksthanksthanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »