Talk

Advanced search

What's the most extreme example of effort to save a few pennies you have heard of?

(621 Posts)
wineoclockthanks Wed 26-Apr-17 15:32:46

Lighthearted!!

Mine is someone who buys shirts/t-shirts and asks for the hangers, then returns the clothes minus the hangers.

I did mention that Wilkos sell 10 wire hangers for £1.75 but she was adamant it was worth it.

Please can I stress this is lighthearted, I am also on a tight budget and count my pennies so not judging at all.

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Wed 26-Apr-17 15:33:41

Sibling drives so far for cheaper petroleum I'm sure it ends up costing more.

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Wed 26-Apr-17 15:34:17

Petrol. You can tell autocorrect is USA English!

upperlimit Wed 26-Apr-17 15:34:50

Mine is someone who buys shirts/t-shirts and asks for the hangers, then returns the clothes minus the hangers.

Wow. You've set the bar pretty high. grin

Notsandwiches Wed 26-Apr-17 15:36:20

My father takes the battery out of his clock at work when he is not there. He has oodles of cash. Perhaps this is why?

00100001 Wed 26-Apr-17 15:36:39

Someone I know collects sauce sachets from restaurants and uses them to refill his ketchup bottle...

BarbaraofSeville Wed 26-Apr-17 15:37:23

Buying McDonalds instead of taking packed lunch in order to get enough Monopoly stickers to get a free Now TV card.

I may have done this but I did win a coffee as well

claraschu Wed 26-Apr-17 15:38:22

My father saved used matches, so he could reuse them by lighting a used one from an existing flame, (when available). He trained all of us to do the same; throwing out a match still seems decadent to me...

Vanillamanilla1 Wed 26-Apr-17 15:39:33

I do that . Buy stuff with hangers then return stuff ( I don't need ) without
Wash dishcloths to reuse until they literally have holes in
Take home any unused sauces if I eat out
Extra paper napkins also for the handbag
If I use too much gravy and have leftovers I'll freeze it
Give the dog leftover food instead of feeding him his food if there is loads left that would make a plateful
Bulk buy cheese on offer then grate and freeze
Use a handful of lentils in a lot of dishes to bulk it out
Grow all herbs in the garden

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Wed 26-Apr-17 15:42:53

I knew someone at university who, when trusted with booking the flights for a family holiday to Spain, opted for flights with a lay-over of several hours. This changed the journey from a quick 2-3 hour flight to a whole day of travelling. He apparently saved a grand total of about £20 per person...

HarrietKettleWasHere Wed 26-Apr-17 15:46:15

My grandparents water down the milk to make it go further and they will peg up a teabag to dry out and reuse.

I do keep telling them there's not a war on but they won't have it. They are actually very comfortably off.

Oh, and the fridge gets switched on in April and turned of again in November grin

Hassled Wed 26-Apr-17 15:46:32

I'm always a bit awestruck at the people who really go for the penny-saving; I'm way too lazy (even in my very skint days, which is presumably why I stayed skint so long).

I did a joint birthday party for one of the DSs years ago and the other mother involved insisted we drove to multiple supermarkets for the party food - so Asda had strawberries on offer, but then Tescos were cheaper for drinks that week, and then Sainsburys for somewhere else and so on. The petrol costs didn't seem to have occurred to her. It turned catering one smallish party into a major, stressful event.

Justmuddlingalong Wed 26-Apr-17 15:48:51

Working in an elderly care home. We were told to wash and reuse disposable gloves. I wrote my resignation letter on the spot.

MyNameIsntTaken Wed 26-Apr-17 15:50:36

DH, when we first moved in together was a nightmare. I've thankfully retrained him now.
He would walk around going to different shops for an hour to find something for less money and it was ridiculous things like cat food being 30p cheaper in a far away shop so travelling there instead of just going to the top of the road.
I love saving money, look after the pennies and all that....but he was just something else.

TroysMammy Wed 26-Apr-17 15:50:40

I'm on a water meter and when running the tap for hot water I collect it in an empty 4 pint plastic milk carton. I then pour it into extra food waste bins I got from the Council for free. In addition to my water butt in the garden this water is used for my plants.

ShelaghTurner Wed 26-Apr-17 15:51:24

We've been going through a very skint phase this year but had arranged to meet DH and my brother in Caffè Nero. Got there a bit late to find DH drinking hot water because he didn't have enough money for a teabag. He did, he had his debit card but was worried about using it. We might be skint but we can splash out on £2.50 for a coffee once in a while 🙄

BrownChickenBrownCow Wed 26-Apr-17 15:54:27

I feel really daft. It never occurred to me to collect that water! blush

expatinscotland Wed 26-Apr-17 16:00:24

I saw an episode of Extreme Cheapskates that featured a man who, when at the cinema, raided the bins for drinks containers. He'd got into the men's room, wash the cup out and then take it the counter for a 'refill' so he got free fizzy juice.

Flortle Wed 26-Apr-17 16:03:27

Reusing kitchen roll by hanging the wet pieces on pegs in the kitchen!!

BarbaraofSeville Wed 26-Apr-17 16:03:55

I'm not on a water meter but I feel really guilty about the water that goes down the sink while waiting for the hot tap to produce some actual hot water. It just seems like such a waste.

But I need to team up with the people who go out of their way to collect hangers. They seem to breed in our house and I'm forever throwing them away sending them to the charity shop. It's not like either of us shop for clothes that often and I refuse as many as possible when I do go shopping.

GreenHairDontCare Wed 26-Apr-17 16:07:09

Dh's brother turns EVERYTHING off before going to bed. Wifi, oven, kettle, everything that has a plug. Except the fridge freezer, although I'm sure he'd turn that off if he could.

It makes me smile but tbf he'd paid his mortgage off by his late thirties so perhaps we should all take a lead out of his book.

babymouse Wed 26-Apr-17 16:07:15

My grandmother collects the wrapped cups at hotels and gives them to us as gifts! shock

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 26-Apr-17 16:09:30

I use my own teabags twice, I drink very weak tea!
When we were students we used to steal loo roll from the student bar, also glasses and ashtrays--and roadworks when drunk--

Cambergirl Wed 26-Apr-17 16:09:53

I never thought about saving the water either. I'll definitely start doing that.
I do use my bath water to swill down the dog run though. ( If I've had a lush bomb it smells lovely!)

MaroonPencil Wed 26-Apr-17 16:10:49

I am shock at the fridge being turned off! Don't they lose on the thrown away gone-off food what they gain on the electricity?!

FreeNiki Wed 26-Apr-17 16:11:04

Not so much saving pennies but outright grabby bastard.

One of my exes was in hospital and because he couldn't get out of bed they wanted to give him dvt stockings. He declined and made more effort to mobilise. He then lamented that he should have taken them and not worn them as they cost alot and he could have sold them on ebay.

I asked him if he was that hard up for a tenner. hmm

WindwardCircle Wed 26-Apr-17 16:12:14

I saw an episode of Extreme Cheapskates that featured a man who, when at the cinema, raided the bins for drinks containers. He'd got into the men's room, wash the cup out and then take it the counter for a 'refill' so he got free fizzy juice.

That's not being a cheapskate, that's plain old stealing.

NancyDonahue Wed 26-Apr-17 16:13:01

I love Extreme Cheapskates. There was one woman who peed in a bottle and threw it in the garden so she didn't have to flush her loo.

floraeasy Wed 26-Apr-17 16:13:26

During the War and the Great Depression (I am no spring chicken, but NOT old enough to remember these by the way!), a lot of these practices were seen as commonsense. Running your home as economically as possible was the norm. I could be a lot more economical than I am, to be honest.

hungrywalrus Wed 26-Apr-17 16:13:29

My grandmother once explained to us that she used one sheet of loo paper for a wee and 2 for a number two. Needless to say this philosophy did not catch on...

BlooBagoo Wed 26-Apr-17 16:13:51

My DH2b despises having to pay 5p/10p for a carrier bag in a shop if we forget one, to the point where we have left some shops with my handbag and our pockets stuffed full with things, all while holding armfuls of larger items. Or if they have a box available every single thing will be shoved into that even if it doesn't really fit.

notthe1Parrot Wed 26-Apr-17 16:16:00

Wait to use the loo on arrival at work.
Use the loo at work on leaving.
Saves 30 sheets of home loo paper a week.

MumBod Wed 26-Apr-17 16:16:41

My millionaire sister saw that something she'd bought mail order was now on offer.

So she sent back the original item, then bought it again with the reduction.

I once went on holiday with a couple who insisted my then-husband took all the backroads and mountain roads (in the Italian lakes) to avoid toll-roads. The car ended up breaking down because it couldn't cope with the gradients. I wouldn't mind, we'd paid for their holiday and the hire car.

Janey50 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:17:17

Do shops still actually let you have the hangers? Every shop I have bought clothes from recently never offer,and when I have asked its 'Oh no,we reuse them'. This includes Primark,Evans,Bonmarche and Marks and Spencer. The only shop I can remember that let you keep the hangers without question was C and A. How I miss them.....

MumBod Wed 26-Apr-17 16:17:33

Ooh, another one. I had an uncle who was a proper miser, who carpeted his house with the free carpet samples given away by carpet shops.

It created a pleasing patchwork effect hmm

BeMorePanda Wed 26-Apr-17 16:17:53

I'm on a water meter and when running the tap for hot water I collect it in an empty 4 pint plastic milk carton.

Oh I love this - not to save pennies but to save water, because it's just raised up in me to save water.

My bathroom hot tap runs cold for ages & now I will use the water to fill the (very slow filling) water cistern. thank you.

On a similar theme I don't have baths very often, but when I do I leave the bath water in and manually fill the loo up with it blush I recognize this as a bit nuts, but hey ho!

expatinscotland Wed 26-Apr-17 16:17:56

'There was one woman who peed in a bottle and threw it in the garden so she didn't have to flush her loo.'

Was she the one who turned the hot water off on her boyfriend because he was in the shower for more than 1 minute?

The one that got to me was the woman who didn't have a bed, she didn't want to pay for one, instead she fished a used gym mat out of a skip and slept on that. Ewww.

She also showered in her clothes so she didn't have to use the washing machine.

Fluffy40 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:18:38

My mum and dad bought a second hand washing machine for 60 quid, they had thousands in the bank !

carabos Wed 26-Apr-17 16:19:32

Extremely wealthy XMiL used to drive her Mercedes 6 miles to the next town to do her food shop as she reckoned the lettuce was 2p cheaper hmm.

HelenaWay Wed 26-Apr-17 16:19:53

Dh's brother turns EVERYTHING off before going to bed. Wifi, oven, kettle, everything that has a plug. Except the fridge freezer, although I'm sure he'd turn that off if he could.

I also do this. I thought it was normal to be honest. blush

OhtoblazeswithElvira Wed 26-Apr-17 16:20:11

From DH'S family:

Use a quarter of a Tesco value dishwasher tab in the quick wash setting, then wonder why things aren't pristine

When making parsley sauce from a sachet, only use half the sachet and use water instead of milk, then wonder why it doesn't taste of anything.

Keep toiletries you got for free during intercontinental flights and give them away as Christmas presents (yes, I'm talking socks and toothbrushes in their original, airline-branded plastic bags).

The usual trick of not turning the heating on, ever, doesn't matter how uncomfortable guests are or how many people refuse to stay because they're cold (toddlers' bedroom at 14 degrees etc).

This is a way of life for some people. They seem to love it but it looks so miserable from the outside.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Wed 26-Apr-17 16:24:42

Oh I forgot! Don't change sheets in between guests because "they are family and they don't have anything and it's only been 3 nights"

Love the extreme cheapskates examples, must share with DH to show him the error of his miserly ways grin

Janey50 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:24:45

I might add that I don't actually need any more clothes hangers! I have got an suitcase stuffed full of the things stashed away on top of a wardrobe.

TwatteryFlowers Wed 26-Apr-17 16:27:41

My nannan used to make a cup of tea on a morning, with one tea bag, and leave it to stew. Throughout the day she'd pour a little bit of this stewed tea into her cup and top up with hot water (she liked her tea incredibly weak and with no milk). This way she could get a million cuppas out of one bag.

SoupDragon Wed 26-Apr-17 16:28:37

Use a quarter of a Tesco value dishwasher tab in the quick wash setting, then wonder why things aren't pristine

Interestingly, I forgot to take the wrapper of a dishwasher tab the other day and the load still came out pristine confused There were no cooking pans on there but I was still a bit surprised!

JustHereForThePooStories Wed 26-Apr-17 16:29:12

Local guy is a notorious miser.

He goes to the pub, then rings the take-away next door that offers free delivery. He orders a delivery to his house, then sits into the car with the driver.

Nearlyadoctor Wed 26-Apr-17 16:30:17

Ex husbands boss's wife ( multimillionaire farmers) always irons tissue paper to reuse. Also she has been known to buy reduced sausages about to go out of date, coat in vinegar( to kill any germs) - and then wrap individually in cling film and freeze so she never takes out more than she needs!

GreenHairDontCare Wed 26-Apr-17 16:32:04

When we got our smart meter, DH experimented to see whether it's cheaper to boil water on the gas hob or in the kettle. I can't remember don't care which one it was.

PuntCuffin Wed 26-Apr-17 16:32:14

I have an uncle who used to switch his engine off when going downhill to try to save fuel hmm. No amount ​of telling would convince him this was a really bad idea. Until he couldn't brake one day and went through a hedge at the bottom and wrote his car off, costing himself thousands. Thankfully, neither he nor anyone else was hurt. And he never did it again.

Haudyerwheesht Wed 26-Apr-17 16:32:22

miL reuses paper plates. For years.

I've only very recently discovered this.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 26-Apr-17 16:37:33

babymouse you mean your gran is nicking crockery?! Have you explained to her that it isn't meant to be taken?

specialsubject Wed 26-Apr-17 16:39:33

not wasting stuff, theft and economies-that-aren't are three different things. The Darwin award is something different again.

I do like the story of the guy that got a lift home with his takeway, though!

GloriaV Wed 26-Apr-17 16:39:44

DM took the bus 15 miles to next town to buy a Xmas Annual for DGS's Xmas. Cheaper as she had a bus pass and bigger shops in big town were cheaper (makes me wonder how many over 60s do this thus, greatly contributing to the closing of shops in small market towns).

ZilphasHatpin Wed 26-Apr-17 16:40:53

Oh extreme cheap skates gives me the rage!! There was one guy who was trying to be a professional wrestler. He had an audition. He tanned himself with tea, and taped his boots up with duct tape. They didn't give him the job. grin

I thought it was normal to turn all plugs off at night. I used to but got lazy.

What do the people without the fridge for half the year so with their food??

cjt110 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:42:01

My MIL would prefer a 12 hour bus ride from one end of the country she is in to catch a cheaper flight home rather than just pay for 2 flights....

Asmoto Wed 26-Apr-17 16:42:26

When I was a child in the 80s, my dad would make us walk the whole length of the promenade at the seaside (a 40 min walk) to save 2p on the price of an ice lolly grin.

ProfessorBranestawm Wed 26-Apr-17 16:42:28

I admit I am more germphobic than the average person but there's no way I could eat anything from a switched-off-all-winter fridge! 😷

Badders123 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:46:42

I really do think some of these extreme examples are evidence of MH problems 😞
Pissing in bottles?
Showering in clothes?
I would make you all weep with my wastefulness!
If the last 3 years have taught me anything
It's that life's too fucking short
No pockets in a shroud...

expatinscotland Wed 26-Apr-17 16:48:01

Everyone should watch Extreme Cheapskates ! The lady who went to launderettes for mismatched socks to use as san pro.

scampimom Wed 26-Apr-17 16:48:31

Blimey, I thought I was a tightwad! Some of these people steal and then give as a present take the biscuit!

ZilphasHatpin Wed 26-Apr-17 16:48:52

badders I agree, I think it is probably a sign of mental health issues.

redshoeblueshoe Wed 26-Apr-17 16:50:35

Punt grin

BorpBorpBorp Wed 26-Apr-17 16:51:03

What do the people without the fridge for half the year so with their food??

If they live somewhere cold they might leave it in a box outside? My PILs leave bought veg outside in winter so there's more room in the fridge for cheese etc.

Badders123 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:51:45

My pils can make me roll my eyes at times with their penny pinching ways but nothing on some of these!

I can just imagine if my mil was on mn!

"My dil buys foils trays to cook things on to save washing up the lazy bint THEN she throws them away!!"

grin

BuckinghamLass Wed 26-Apr-17 16:52:55

Agree that the bar was set high with the coat hanger story!

I used to work on a checkout. A man once came through repeatedly, "buying" a single mushroom each time. He'd realised that individually, they were so light they'd be rounded down to zero, making them free. From memory he only got away with it twice and was collared the third time.

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Wed 26-Apr-17 16:53:44

JustHere

I think that's genius grin he must have the gift of the gab or the hide of a rhino to get away with it though

fridgepants Wed 26-Apr-17 16:56:16

My ex landlord was a complete miser - he never went out except to go to work and buy food, worked from home constantly, bought only reduced priced meals from Lidl to eat, and had clothing which I'm pretty sure dated back to the early 80s. There were food and household goods around that pre-dated the internet - one of the blankets around was made in 'West Germany', so at least 25yrs old - and he had dried mint in the cupboard from 1984. He wasn't poor - he had paid off his mortgage and was on a quite high earning job - which made me wonder why he even bothered renting out rooms in his house, as he never seemed to enjoy or spend the money.

When a new lodger moved in, she cleaned the bathroom and threw out some leftover toiletries. He spotted a near used tube of toothpaste in the bin amongst the tissues, fished it out, and squeezed it as hard as he could so he could get the last few drops out of it.

He also used to try and fix his own boiler. As he was a live-in landlord, we sadly couldn't report him for that.

DontBeASalmon Wed 26-Apr-17 16:57:21

Not anywhere as good as above, but the most painful cheepstake I've ever met was the owner of a small -- so very small-- business.

-Refused to employ a cleaner, and expected the staff to clean the office, toilets included. The money saved was used to generously offer them a Christmas lunch. That office was FILTHY.
-Had huge rants about the level of milk used in the office, there's only so many drops you are allowed in your tea people!
-Paper had to be used and reused, and someone had to regularly waste hours in the archives to pick up stationery from older files.

Funnily enough, the penny saving efforts did not cover the never ending collection for birthday presents, special day presents, mandatory evening drinks, where the boss was given twice the amount as a thank you for being such an amazing boss.

Apart from a couple of her best friends, the staff turnover was ridiculously high.

No one ever told her it would have been more cost effective to treat staff right and retain them, instead of forever employing people who kept making mistake, wasting times and losing clients.

Astro55 Wed 26-Apr-17 17:00:52

My gran once paid to get a coach then train then boat - total 9 hours travel to save £10 for a 20 min flight!

She will also walk 3 miles with shopping bags to buy beans 2p cheaper -

BalloonSlayer Wed 26-Apr-17 17:01:17

Things like cheese, bacon, butter and eggs don't really need to be kept in the fridge, so long as you use them every day and each pack gets used up fairly quickly. Maybe the old couple have milk delivered every day.

My Mum didn't drive and never did a "big weekly shop" at Sainsburys. She would bring home what she could carry every day, and decide most evenings what she wanted for tea and buy it on the way home from work.

This is what people used to do before they had fridges and she never got out of the habit. If you are older like the couple in the post above, then if you do that then you can manage quite nicely without a fridge in winter.

AntagonyAunt Wed 26-Apr-17 17:01:48

JustHereForThePooStories
Now that is a stroke of genius, paticularly if he thought of that when drunk.

ShouldHaveListenedInBiology Wed 26-Apr-17 17:02:25

As a student, a family member used to take a penknife to the supermarket to cut the extra stalk off heads off broccoli before weighing and paying.

BlooBagoo Wed 26-Apr-17 17:03:34

Had huge rants about the level of milk used in the office, there's only so many drops you are allowed in your tea people!

This reminded me of an ex-co-worker. To save money when it was her turn to bring in milk, she would bring it in an old juice bottle, not too bad really I know. Except she refused to wash the bottle out first so the milk always tasted of whichever juice had been in the bottle beforehand. Made for some very weird tasting coffee. It got to the point we would throw out her milk, wash the bottle, then replace it with milk we'd sneaked in instead. If she caught us washing the bottle she would bin it and bring a different one the next time.

FaithAgain Wed 26-Apr-17 17:04:07

Okay - once again, the plug thing. Yes, you should unplug electrical items when they aren't in use. I am one of those MNetters who had a significant house fire because something I left plugged in caught fire! (It was a food processor).

I had a house mate who had obviously been raised to look after the pennies. She insisted on washing basic dish cloths. The ones that cost 90p for 10..I said I didn't want them in with my washing (cos yuck) she was a bit surprised and suggested washing them separately. I pointed out that would cost more than just buying new ones!

Vagabond Wed 26-Apr-17 17:11:52

My MIL would not light the fire until it was 6pm. We'd all be sitting in our coats all afternoon in that miserable front room. The room never heated up to being reasonable temperature til it was 9pm when we all went to bed, still in our coats.

Miserable.

I hate misers. I would divorce anyone who turned off all the switches at night.

Elendon Wed 26-Apr-17 17:12:47

When my ex goes shopping when his children visit, he insists on them carrying the items to the car. They have reusable bags, but he always forgets them.

I used to be a on a water meter. Thankfully, no longer, I'm saving £300 pounds pa, but I still am conscious about saving water.

I will use a tea bag for two cups of tea (Yorkshire).

Badders123 Wed 26-Apr-17 17:15:07

Miserly
Yes
That's the word
Ugh

PensPencilsandRulers Wed 26-Apr-17 17:15:35

I know someone who will only charge phone in work.

Someone who goes to the gp for a prescription for calpol and head lice solution for their DC.

Someone who reuses teabags multiple times.

tectonicplates Wed 26-Apr-17 17:16:14

There was one woman who peed in a bottle and threw it in the garden so she didn't have to flush her loo.

Actually this is environmentally friendly. Urine is a good fertiliser for plants, and people have been using it for thousands of years. Plenty of people pee into compost as it adds nutrients. Modern flushing toilets are highly wasteful of water, and it takes a lot of energy to clean it again to go back into water supplies.

herethereandeverywhere Wed 26-Apr-17 17:16:34

My MIL is loaded has has a few of these traits, like the house being a constant 14c as they'll never put the heating on, scabbing toiletries off me on holiday because she's too tight to pay to check in a case to bring her own. Offering to buy DD a Boden coat but rescinding the offer when I chose one not in the sale (sale criteria not expressed at time of offer. I guess she assumed they were all on sale. I even offered to pay the difference!) My favourite was when we'd been to the shops together (M&S) I'd bought some clothes for the kids. She made me carry her food shopping in the bag with the new clothes (think packs of sausages, all sorts of refrigerated goods with condensation on) rather than pay 5p for a plastic bag. Grrr....

FIL is as bad, they own a holiday home abroad see loaded but he refuses to switch the aircon on in his bedroom, even when it's over 40 in the day and 30 at night. Instead he tries to sleep on a sunlounger on the balcony confused hmm

Stiddleficks Wed 26-Apr-17 17:19:40

A guy on Facebook told everyone how he took some bottles of smart price lemonade all the way to Florida so he didn't have to pay for drinks when out there!
The episode of extreme cheap stakes where the guy had one light bulb for his house and used to take it from room to room with him.

SleepingTiger Wed 26-Apr-17 17:20:59

I know a guy who deliberately started an argument with another family, so that he could sell their immediate neighbour billions of dollars worth of tanks and airplanes to defend themselves, plus additional services to act as a regional 'minder' got paid in the form of permanent shares in all the oil fields in the region, left behind their remaining now obsolete tanks, which they promptly billed the neighbour for which proceeds were used to develop a new range of smart tanks and airplanes.

Smart move as they saved $ Trillions!

MrPoppersPenguins Wed 26-Apr-17 17:22:47

At uni my housemates and I would walk from our shared house to lectures most days (approx 30min walk) but if it was pouring down we'd hop on a bus to avoid getting soaked. One of our friends refused to pay 50p for the bus and would get drowned - she'd then have to dry out the contents of her rucksack/book bag!

Cagliostro Wed 26-Apr-17 17:24:14

Mushroom man grin that's hilarious and quite clever really. What a fun guy.

PensPencilsandRulers Wed 26-Apr-17 17:24:16

I've thought of a couple more.
Family of four sharing bath water and insisting visiting guests do the same <boak>.
Stealing loo paper from public places.

Elendon Wed 26-Apr-17 17:25:20

And let's not forget the everlasting chicken (though I do make four meals out of mine as well).

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/09/how-to-make-a-chicken-last-a-week-angela-hartnett

toffeeboffin Wed 26-Apr-17 17:27:43

I knew someone who used to cut q tips in two. Pretty frugal that.

Tobolsk Wed 26-Apr-17 17:34:46

Turning the fridge off makes sense, last winter DH measured the temperature of both the fridge and our kitchen......fridge was warmer.

toffeeboffin Wed 26-Apr-17 17:36:06

Love the takeaway story shockgrin

Clawdy Wed 26-Apr-17 17:36:28

My friend and I were helping on a charity stall selling second hand jewellery. She tried on two necklaces and sighed " I love them both .....which one shall I have??" After some more time spent agonising, I pointed out that as they were 20p each, she could have both! After a bit more dithering she bought them both.....grin

IHeartDodo Wed 26-Apr-17 17:36:58

The mushroom thing is pretty clever actually!
Mine are pretty tame...
If I buy carrots that have stalks I always take them off before paying.
My gran hardly drinks so freezes ice cubes of wine for cooking.
I also use tea bags twice (but only Yorkshire)
I may have stolen toilet paper as a student...
DP saves his "morning poo" until he gets to work, to save our water/loo roll.

MrsWOLF1 Wed 26-Apr-17 17:40:45

My dear friend makes her own tampons from cotton wool and uses folded kitchen roll as pantie liners .Said friend also turns her knickers inside out and wears only 2 pairs of socks per week

Canshopwillshop Wed 26-Apr-17 17:41:35

My DH has a nasty habit of putting water in the bottom of our bottles of body wash to rinse out the dregs. If I'm unfortunate enough to be the next one to use it then I end up splashing freezing cold slushy water all over myself. He also used to put vinegar in the dregs of tomato ketchup bottles but the kids complained too much so he doesn't do that any more.

RomanticWalksToTheFridge Wed 26-Apr-17 17:42:36

DH resuses teabags, but he drinks it so weak that it barely has a colour in it, so it gets about ten cups.

Saving the water like Troys suggested is a great idea!

fannydaggerz Wed 26-Apr-17 17:43:47

When the tv remote wasn't working, My grandparents used to take the batteries out of the remote and then run over the positive side with a butter knife.

They insisted it worked and never ever bought or replaced batteries unless it was for a smoke alarm.

fannydaggerz Wed 26-Apr-17 17:45:50

My friend switches his fuse box off overnight so there is nothing on in his house overnight.

Mossop17 Wed 26-Apr-17 17:46:05

i broke down this afternoon, stupid car needed a new battery which the AA man fitted there and then for a princely sum (think double plus £20 that the local battery place could have supplied it for)

However to recoup some costs i asked to keep the old one to weigh in! Ta da gets me about 3 quid lol!

We often weigh in metal things if we have them, i rarely buy anything full price except food. We are reaasonably ok money wise but it hasnt always been this way, fear or being broke again drives me to save where possible!

Dowser Wed 26-Apr-17 17:47:14

Clawdy, on a boiling hot day I spent 4 hours in Ikea that I will never get back with a friend.
Two of those hours were spent around he candles and t lights.
Should she have the £1 lavender ones or the £1 rose ones.

Arrrgh! Why didn't I think to buy them both for her. Don't ask which ones she decided on ...as I keep trying to oblige the scenario from my mind.

Just an hour ago I thought dh was doing the same over the £6-99 hosepipe or the £9-99 one. I was coming out in a rash of nervous tension and was about to say oh for goodness sake mr Dowser, get the big one, its three pound difference.

Then I realised the cheaper one had fittings and fastenings with it. So he picked up that one.

Then there was that moment of indecision. Should he buy just one and we haul it between home and caravan.

He saw the death stare and picked up two. Like £14!

He 'saves' used plastic zip Lock bags.
Not the horrible dirty ones, as he'd be ex mr Dowser , the ones that might have had t bags in.

Thankfully these are only used once!

Dowser Wed 26-Apr-17 17:50:30

Oh and a friend of mine would go to a cafe...like Morrisons say ...and would order a pot of tea and a pot of hot water.

Then they'd have several cups of tea with stacks of free milk.
They drank it so weak it was like milky water.
Embarrassing...but he was such a big, friendly guy he got away with it.

Dowser Wed 26-Apr-17 17:51:43

I probably have skinflinty ways as well!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: