What's great about newborns?

(140 Posts)
Sharesinpampers Wed 17-Aug-16 17:37:43

I'm due DC very soon, a very much wanted baby. But all I can think about is the pure exhaustion and anxiety that I had with my first! I know there were good things, my brain just seems to be filtering them out.

So, kind mumsnetters, tell me what is just brilliant about having a newborn and a toddler. No need to throw in a dose of reality, I'm full of those thoughts already!

smile

NickNacks Wed 17-Aug-16 17:38:10

The smell.

<sniff>

HowToProceed Wed 17-Aug-16 17:40:48

i dont know about a newborn and toddler (long time since mine were that small), but i think the best thing about newborns is that you can put them down, go and do something, come back and find them still in the same place you put them. it doesnt last long.

dustarr73 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:41:19

NickNacks great minds,was just coming on to say that.

Their smile when they start recognising you.The gig milky grins when they are in teh middle of a feed.

Lules Wed 17-Aug-16 17:42:21

They're so small! Like a person but small. And you made them. That's pretty good.

Aoibhe Wed 17-Aug-16 17:43:18

The way they hold and play with their hands. Their perfect, tiny features.

fishandlilacs Wed 17-Aug-16 17:44:44

Looking in thier eyes is like falling into a deep well of love.

They are squidgy and smell nice

They a vulnerable and you feel all powerful looking after them.

Tiny toes and fingers.

Babygros

Freshprincess Wed 17-Aug-16 17:45:32

Yy to the smell.

CakeNinja Wed 17-Aug-16 17:45:40

Yy to putting them down and them being in the same place when you go back to get them (although Ds rolled at about 3 days old and didn't stop).

They also make great dressing up dolls for their older siblings - Ds was often found sporting a headband or sparkly hair clip.

And they don't ask for much. Food, warmth and sleep.

Sparklesilverglitter Wed 17-Aug-16 17:46:03

I had my first baby a week ago, little DD

The smell

So cute, you just want to keep looking at them

They little faces when they are all milk drunk

You can put a new born in a sling and make food to eat

The way they grip your finger with there tiny tiny little hand

To look at the baby and think it's like you but smaller shock it's both incredible and weird

PippilottaViktualia Wed 17-Aug-16 17:47:27

They grow quickly to not be newborn grin

Nah, they are little and you made them and they're yours!

LotsOfDots Wed 17-Aug-16 17:50:07

Their little velvety heads. Like a mole.

tintinenamerique Wed 17-Aug-16 17:59:43

When the toddler tells you he loves the newborn...

PussCatTheGoldfish Wed 17-Aug-16 18:01:55

With a second child you know how quickly they grow up so you appreciate that time more. They sleep loads, they cry like tiny kittens, they look very cute and they are all snuffly and cosy.

A subsequent child is also easier because you've done it all before. I'd had dire warnings from friends but it truly was fine, and I enjoyed it!

SilverGiraffe7 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:03:07

People are generally really nice to you if you're sporting a newborn and if you're breastfeeding you can kick back with a snugly baby and let your DH/DP take care of everything else!
Watching your elder child with their newborn sibling is lush. And they're so tiny. And cute. And smell gorgeous.
Oh - and you can dress them in aaaaanything you like and they can't object... Bunny rabbit, anyone?! grin

user7755 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:04:25

Yy to them still being in the same place when you come back

Unfairestofthemall Wed 17-Aug-16 18:08:33

When they are handed to you for the first time and you see the person you've thought so much about.
The teeny tiny socks grin

Spudlet Wed 17-Aug-16 18:08:45

People are nice to you. And they change all the time, hence never get boring.

Yy to the staying put thing. DS is only rolling but I still keep losing him. He gets wedged half under the sofa. Then he gets angry with the sofa and shouts at it for being in the way. hmm

Spudlet Wed 17-Aug-16 18:09:29

Best of all though is that you are no longer pregnant! Yay! grin

ShelaghTurner Wed 17-Aug-16 18:12:23

The way they're all folded up like a kidney bean. Their dark peepy eyes. Little tiny everything. Soft heads and perfect skin. Brand new unused feet. Sigh.

allthecarbs Wed 17-Aug-16 18:18:02

How much you get to cuddle them without them telling you to stop. Ds2 was barely out of my arms.

paddypants13 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:44:45

The way they are so utterly helpless, the way the snuggle into you to sleep, the way they "fit" into you (not sure how to describe it), the way they're all curled and they're so new.

Good grief, I want another baby so badly.

Donatellalymanmoss Wed 17-Aug-16 18:47:55

Their so snugly and you can literally cuddle them all day long.

ParisGellar Wed 17-Aug-16 18:48:23

I loved all the soft downy hair all over my little boy. Yy to pp's mention of the velvety head. His sleepy gorgeous face and tiny little fingers. <broody>

WhatAreYouLookingAt Wed 17-Aug-16 18:49:12

The little contented noises they make when they're feeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now