Talk

Advanced search

thinking I should do a cooked breakfast most days for my sons

(314 Posts)
JackandDiane Mon 06-Jun-16 08:40:06

I have three - one doing a levels in the next couple of weeks, all huge sporty and growing,
i did bacon rolls today as pre exam thing and they all said they would happily eat a proper breakfast every day
I get up early - its no skin off my nose, maybe a bit more prep etc
Do any of you do cooked breakfasts every day? I think I should put more effort in

wheatchief Mon 06-Jun-16 09:29:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 06-Jun-16 09:29:28

My MIL is very much like this with DH. She takes great pride in filling him up with a whopping breakfast grin.

I like to do special breakfasts on certain days too. Exams, competitions, going away on camp, important meeting for DH etc. It's nice to feel like you've played a part in them being 'at their best'.

wohmum Mon 06-Jun-16 09:30:12

I definitely get where you are coming from smile I have a DS doing AS levels and I keep realisingthat he'll be gone to Uni in just over a year.
It's def a nurturing thing.
I start a new job next week so am going to make the most of this week and make him breakfast every day (apart from today as I'm about to meet a friend for coffee and he's not up yet - so much for study leave !)

FurryDogMother Mon 06-Jun-16 09:30:49

As an aside, if you're worried about nitrates in bacon, it's easy, and cheap, to cure your own, using just sugar and salt, and no saltpetre. I have a cooked breakfast every day, and was worried about my nitrate consumption, so I switched to home-cured bacon - problem solved smile We only have an normal sized fridge, and are in a flat, so nowhere to smoke the bacon - but my results so far are pretty tasty!

JackandDiane Mon 06-Jun-16 09:31:29

REALLY ? omg how do you slice it?

MysteriesOfTheOrganism Mon 06-Jun-16 09:31:40

Damn you. I was just about to have some toast and now I'm craving a Full English. angry

HumphreyCobblers Mon 06-Jun-16 09:34:40

God I could weep <sentimental> My oldest is only nine but I can see it coming.

I think the breakfast is a brilliant thing to do for them. Lots of good fat to keep them full.

Mooingcow Mon 06-Jun-16 09:35:13

Interesting question about daughters.

My mother still fills up plates that would defeat Desperate Dan for all the husbands and grandsons and clucks delightedly.

Less beaming and more terror when my sisters, our daughters and I (all sporty and fit) put more than a couple of cherry tomatoes and a transparent sliver of cheese on our plates.

I'm utterly mystified by my rabid feminism, food issues and resentment of my over-indulged brothers.hmm

Having said that, I'm making banana pancakes for my GCSE lad every morning this week.

I think we should coddle them all while we can, life is short and I want mine to think of home as a place of unconditional love, safety, chats and belly laughs, dry towels and a full fridge.

Naoko Mon 06-Jun-16 09:37:48

Aw, I think it's sweet, if probably best as a treat for exam time only. When I sat my exams my mum made me my favourite packed lunch every day (fresh roll with cheese, egg, tomato, lettuce and cucumber). I was 17 years old and perfectly able and willing to make my own lunch, but it was just nice of her.

IfTheCapFitsWearIt Mon 06-Jun-16 09:41:02

My mum didn't coddle DB or me at all, she was as far away from that as could be.

My dad though? He was the first up in a house, and would bring me a cup of tea and toast with jam, every (week day) morning in bed.

HicDraconis Mon 06-Jun-16 09:44:23

We have a cooked breakfast every morning - variations on the theme of eggs & toast with ham, bacon or sausages a few days a week. Boys are 8&10 and will carry on having a cooked breakfast until they leave home. Although when I was poorly they cooked their own (& mine!) so probably after then too.

Special breakfasts are waffles with bananas and melted Nutella drizzled over, or pancakes. Otherwise it's eggs. Omelettes, poached with cheese and mushrooms on toast, with bacon and sausages - best breakfast ever.

nicolasixx Mon 06-Jun-16 09:44:39

You can see the thread in 20 years "my DH expects a cooked breakfast everyday because MIL used to"... grin but I say if you want to do it, go for it!
Disagree it's better for everyone to prepare their own - sounds like too many cooks to me! But if it gives you family time sitting down together and gets your teens off to a good start - why not.

JackandDiane Mon 06-Jun-16 09:48:30

I have washed all their sheets too today. It was the deal - sheets swapped for a bacon roll

Philoslothy Mon 06-Jun-16 09:49:38

We reintroduced family breakfasts and I love that feeling of packing them off to school with full bellies.

I go to a lot of trouble, setting the table, jugs of juice, fresh coffee and trying new recipes. It has transformed our mornings from stressful to one of the nicest parts of the day.

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Mon 06-Jun-16 09:50:59

I cook my DD (11) scrambled egg for breakfast at 6:15am every day I'm not working an early shift (when I am DH is about at breakfast and she has cereal).

She cooked me scrambled egg and brought it and a cup of coffee to me in bed on my birthday grin (but unfortunately also at 6:15am even though it was a weekend and I wasn't working hmm )

Really I want to tell you that your DSs should cook their own breakfast, but I will probably still do it for DD when she is 18 if she wants me to if I am up anyway and not working... Scrambled eggs only take a minute though. I don't think she'd bother doing them for herself, maybe she would sometimes...

My boys have porridge in winter and cereal in summer, neither will eat eggs depressingly... DS1 is only 9 but plays hours of sport every day and they would definitely eat bacon and / or sausages for breakfast but both boys eat too much bread and processed meat as it is so I probably won't ever be cooking that/ buying in sufficient for them to cook sausages and bacon daily at 6am...

redhat Mon 06-Jun-16 09:53:25

Mine are 11 and 9 and are not doing exams but are constantly hungry. They're skinny and very active and never stop eating (DS1 in particular). We switched to more substantial breakfasts about 18 months ago (with more protein in particular) and it has made a difference to hungry they are at mid morning break.

We don't do full english every day but they always have something like beans and cheese on toast, sausages, tomatoes and eggs, omelettes, egg and bacon muffins etc every day before school.

I found out from talking to my friends that we are unusual in this regard and two who have children at the same school as my DSs said theirs don't have a problem with being hungry late morning and so mine must be particularly hungry boys. Then on talking to the boys themselves we discovered they were eating cereal and toast at home and then going to the school canteen every morning for a bacon butty before classes start.

WorraLiberty Mon 06-Jun-16 09:56:37

None of us eat breakfast here, as we're just not hungry in the mornings.

But I know if I got up early enough to cook my sons bacon rolls, they'd definitely eat them due to the lovely smell wafting upstairs.

Anyway, I ended up doing the same as you just before half term and made them bacon rolls on exam days, because I figured having breakfast would help their concentration, more than the manky banana they normally force down on the way.

Just make sure they take a bottle of water into the exam with them!

caitlinohara Mon 06-Jun-16 09:57:09

I go through phases of doing this, mainly because I refuse to waste money on overpriced cereal that's usually full of sugar and leaves you hungry an hour later, and they won't eat my lovely (to me) home made granola. So we go through a lot of eggs in this house - eggy bread, boiled eggs and soldiers, scrambled. Bacon sandwich once or twice a week. Pancakes or porridge occasionally. And always fruit - they come down to a slice of melon or a bowl of chopped up kiwi or something and they can add yogurt if they want, and they eat that while I do the cooked bit. I don't resent it at all, as long as everyone helps to clear up. That's the trade off for me.

clarrrp Mon 06-Jun-16 10:01:40

if he's old enough to do his a levels then he is old enough to cook his own bloody breakfast. do you pour his rice krispies out for him too?

petitpois55 Mon 06-Jun-16 10:02:22

Yes think you're fine to do this occasionally. However eating processed meat ike bacon and sausages every day is really not a good idea. They have all sorts of nasties in them.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 06-Jun-16 10:03:24

I entice mine back with baking and big dinners, and then ram the point firmly home with fancy breakfasts if they stay over.

dh says I am some unholy cross between the witch in Hansel and Gretel and every stereotypical Jewish/Italian/Greek Momma feeding up anyone at the table for fear they might be hungry. Ever.

And then sending them off with home cooked leftovers.

I'd make the breakfasts.....I must say though swapping the sheets for a bacon roll was genius tactics.

WorraLiberty Mon 06-Jun-16 10:03:49

I'm old enough to cook my own Sunday roast, but my husband still cooks one for me every week.

WorraLiberty Mon 06-Jun-16 10:05:02

I must say though swapping the sheets for a bacon roll was genius tactics

Must be a bit uncomfortable though.

BeautyQueenFromMars Mon 06-Jun-16 10:05:33

I don't have time to cook bacon, but I usually dry-fry (well, use fry light) thick slices of Aldi ham with an egg for breakfast. It tastes nearly as good as bacon and doesn't take as long. Put them on toast or in a muffin, sorted. Sometimes shove a slice of cheese in there too, with a sprinkle of chilli flakes.

HappyNevertheless Mon 06-Jun-16 10:07:02

Yes I do a cooked breakfast for myself everyday (egg and tomatoes) and the dcs have cooked porridge (on the hob) since they were little.

It's part of the routine, not an issue at all BUT I would also want to involve them in the preparation.
Esp the oldest one can cook the b'fast for everyone instead of just himself and then to epxect you to cook for the other two

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: