Talk

Advanced search

things I didn't know I found annoying until I had children.

(319 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

BusyCee Mon 09-Nov-15 07:55:54

* repetition*
loud noises
* things being spilled on the floor*
being touched

To be fair all the above happened far less frequently before I had children. Repetition is a particular annoyance - not just me saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, but chanting, singing the same line of a song repeatedly, taunting etc.

Love them, but dear God for just 24hrs of peace....

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Mon 09-Nov-15 08:05:21

Yes to being touched! I go crazy by the end of the day and want to curl up inside a protective dome all on my own.

Also noise and mess while I'm trying to eat. I would give anything for one meal without background singing about sausages and smears of yogurt everywhere.

IsThatYouPaul Mon 09-Nov-15 08:05:25

Oh yeah, with you on being touched - or more specifically being tapped.

twirlypoo Mon 09-Nov-15 08:09:08

Being touched here too. I hate the leg grab when you try and walk anywhere. I cooked an entire roast dinner with a toddler attached to ny leg once. It took ever ounce of willpower I had not to do some sort of ninja kick to flick him off would only have made his clingy ness worse

I also miss being "off duty" even watching tv downstairs on an evening I feel twitchy listening for noises of escaping / needing a wee / nightmarey toddler.

StealthPolarBear Mon 09-Nov-15 08:12:45

The sound of something dropping in the floor. Even something mess-less like a rubber. Because I'll either have a battle getting them to pick it up or ill do it. Again.

iminshock Mon 09-Nov-15 08:14:18

Reading books to them.

WheresMyBurrito Mon 09-Nov-15 08:16:42

Oh my god the physical contact. DD is only 5mo but a lot of days when DH gets home I'm just like "don't touch me just take this baby and let me cook tea" grin

OhWotIsItThisTime Mon 09-Nov-15 08:16:56

Being expected to hold conversations when I'm on the loo.

Qwertybynature Mon 09-Nov-15 08:21:01

Cheerios. I never knew they could be so rage-inducing. It's like groundhog day picking them off the floor, and they get everywhere

Saying the word no, again and again and again and again...

twirlypoo Mon 09-Nov-15 08:22:51

Can I add more? I've had a bit of a morning and this thread is right up my street!

Putting shoes on.

Leaving the house by just, I dunno, walking out the door.

Getting Ds into his car seat when he doesn't want to get in it.

I may add more as the day progresses!

TheDowagerCuntess Mon 09-Nov-15 08:25:15

An ex colleague of mine used to spend her evenings pre-DCs' bedtime on her feet, even if watching TV, just to stop them sitting/lying/crawling on her.

For me, it's the volume. The sheer noise of them, especially in confined spaces, such as cars. And the fact that I become a shrieking lunatic, after 50 zillions times of asking them to keep it down and them totally ignoring me.

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Mon 09-Nov-15 08:26:08

The clinging to your leg while you cook is infuriating. DD also likes to stand really close behind me so I can't see her and almost fall over her when I try to move. I have set up a little table at the other end of the kitchen specifically to try and avoid this. I send her to peel the paper off onions.

CrabbyCockwomble Mon 09-Nov-15 08:33:15

Thank you all, you have just removed any faint vestige of regret/wistfulness I may have felt about getting my tubes tied last weekend. grin

For me it was the noise and the relentlessness of being constantly asked things or demanded of me. She's 12 now so still does it to some extent but I find this time 100 times easier and more rewarding than the toddler years!

BasinHaircut Mon 09-Nov-15 08:36:40

YY to repetition!

What I wouldn't give to not have to watch toy story again today. Or read a spot book.

Getting my clothes dirty. Pre-DC you might spill a bit of coffee or sauce and just dab it off. If I had to dab every time I got a bit of yoghurt/crisp crumbs/ketchup on me my others would be soaking wet all day.

BasinHaircut Mon 09-Nov-15 08:37:27

Clothes, not others!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 09-Nov-15 08:37:48

Being expected to "look" every 3 seconds. Usually while pulling on to the motorway, handling a large, hot, heavy dish or being in another room... Probably the bathroom.

Putting gloves on. Putting gloves on again. Putting gloves on again. Putting gloves on again. Whatever the weather.

Random people saying "look at her eyes". I have had her nearly 3 years, I know what her eyes look like. I also like her t shirt. Curls in her hair. Sense of humour. New shoes. She is more than a walking set of eyes!

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Mon 09-Nov-15 08:48:24

Having to drink 150 cups of imaginary tea a day and somehow doing it wrong

lostinabook Mon 09-Nov-15 08:53:13

All of these!

The questions...Oh man the questions...some make sense some don't.. . Means I am ratty at DH when he asks anything too

TheHouseOnTheLane Mon 09-Nov-15 08:55:26

A certain high pitched "MUUUUUUUM" which DD2 makes when she wants something.

My older DD reading the laptop over my shoulder.

STOP IT!!!! I want to have a private life!!

dustarr73 Mon 09-Nov-15 09:01:40

Oh the hopping all over you,do they not know about personal space.The end lless chatter about shite.

The unlimitless amount of energy for high jinks,i do be exhausted just looking at tehm.And the shrieking and noise.

I actually had a dream the other night that i ran away for 2 days just to get some peace.grin

BusyCee Mon 09-Nov-15 09:12:58

Another one - borne from the school run; having to maintain reason and rationale (and your sanity) when the other participant is being completely ABSURD. This also applies to being asked to play cars or board games and then the other person not adhering the rules but complaining bitterly when the game doesn't work. Also them asking ABSURD questions but wanting to have a reasonable answer.

I didn't realize this was annoying before I had children because it NEVER FUCKING HAPPENED even in a job where I worked with highly strung creative types

StephenKatz Mon 09-Nov-15 09:40:24

Turn taking. It's MY TURN to have my hair done first! It's MY TURN to open the front door! It's MY TURN to press the lift button! I CAN'T FUCKING REMEMBER WHOS TURN IT IS!

Putting on three pairs of tights on a morning (although to be fair, one of them is mine!)

And my all time favourite - Mummyyyyyyyy... (long pause) Mummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

CigarsofthePharoahs Mon 09-Nov-15 09:44:05

Qwerty I hear you with the cheerios. Oh good grief..... I once found them on the floor in my church where ds2 was playing. I'm not sure he'd even eaten any that morning, the annoying sticky little things!
We have now moved on to Kellogs Multi Grain Shapes that have all the taste and texture of packing foam, but they're less sticky.

"But I caaaaaaan't" out of the mouth of my four year old every morning. Oh yes you can! You HAVE to get dressed and you HAVE to wear school uniform. Because you JUST DO!
I used to think a friends little one was adorable for crying whenever she left the room. Now I have a 19 month old who screams like a banshee for the same reason and it is not cute. It is annoying. And now I am apparently sat in the wrong chair and am being screamed at.

jellyhead Mon 09-Nov-15 09:45:22

Saying put your shoes on when trying to leave the house
Eldest is 16 and I still say it daily

HawkeyeInConfusion Mon 09-Nov-15 09:50:26

With all the pp who have said the touching.

Also having a person blocking my way as I'm trying to move around the house. Blocking the hall, blocking the doorway, blocking access to the cupboard. Every way I turn, one of them is standing exactly in the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now