Thickos on TripAdvisor(564 Posts)
I usually check reviews about places on Trip Advisor before booking a holiday. I've been having a snoop round this morning for a holiday and went onto Trip Advisor to read the reviews and honestly, some of them look like they've been written by a bear mashing his paws into the keyboard and hitting "send"...
AIBU to disregard reviews by people who moan that "nobode understand ENGLISH" "no chips/salad just greek food" "wayter rude" or should I be giving them the same attention as the others?
Spat my hot chocolate out at midgets!!!
Sorry I know this thread hasn't been touched since 2014 but that was too funny to ignore!!!
I have also noticed a lot of reviewers getting really irate that their hotel doesn't serve "a full English breakfast" :/
awesomer I've not stayed in a kings sized bed here yet.. but yes you can cuddle under, it's just a bit annoying as the duvets get in the way - at least you don't get the problem of duvet thieves!!
It's much easier to change the sheets as they are less heavy, but more annoying to make the bed look nice!
I never knew that greeneyed! Does that mean you can never have a cuddle under the duvet together? What do you use on a king sized bed? So many questions!! <veers off topic completely>
I read a review about a hotel in Norway, a man complaining that his double bed had two single duvets not one double. He asked for a double and he was told they don't have any. He thought this was worthy of a 2* .
The thing is, Norwegian culture is that all double beds have two single duvets - everywhere. Made me laugh.
The hotel was definitely a 4* IMO
^every where we we go to was pretty enough to take pictures. it was so fancy and the staff was so nice. OCCASIONALLY, WE ENCOUNTER SMELLY SMOKERS. the food was good but small portion. it consider girl portion instead of men food portion. food is pricey. at the pelican grill, the y have a nice bar lounge with beautiful view. they have 2 giant tv to watch sport and live band music except the music band kept playing songs the average guest don't know so they either ignore the band or get up and leave. the band need to realize they need to play song that guest know and able to sing along or dance along. they were awful.
Room Tip: DON'T SMOKE ON the premise and stop wearing grandma perfume--YUCK. DO not wear bikini if you are a fat as-. stop pretendingto look thin and pretty. shave those hairy body , MEN BEFORE SOMEONE THROW UP^
I thought it was fab!
"I wish we hadn't gone. The meal was ruined by midgets everywhere and we were sitting inside. We moved tables (nearer the back wall) but we were either followed by them or they were at that table too. we woke up the following morning covered in bites and very itchy."
Communal toilets were horrible, everytime I went in there was a toilet otter staring at me. I got in my bed a was stabbed by a toenail, there was dried sick in the carpet. The place is a dump and I expect thats what prison cell mates experience. plus a homosexual tried to get into my room at 2 in the morning.
Toilet otters :D
This is a brilliant compilation of Trip Advisor complaints
Here's a tip, why not stay at home next time and do a day trip down to the seaside...sure to have a cuppa and some chips and some Brits walking around.
I was about to post the link to that site.
I especially love: "previous guest took a dump in the kettle Then proceeded to boil it" and, " I actually think that the 3rd floor isnt part of the hotel, and that people are living there. There are animals running around".
"Never go there! We got a room that was creepy. There were bloody rags on window sill and drug synergys in toilet. Only a cardboard sheet windows, and someone screaming outside our window"
Ahhh, this will always be my favourite thread...
Here on Tripadvisaargh are some more juicy tidbits for your delectation.
"nice foof and atmosphere"
I once went on there to look at reviews for a hotel we were due to stay in. All reviews were glowing (place was lovely) apart from one which was bonkers, along with complaints that there was no soft play area for the children (it was a small country hotel, not butlins ffs!), they complained that they had played the apprentice theme tune in the restaurant! What made me decide the hotel was a good one was that the owners were very gracious and polite in their reply, apologising for the perceived lack of facilities for children and saying that yes they do play a selection of classical music in the restaurant including "dance of the knights" which they believed may have been used in the apprentice, but they apologised if it was not to their tastes! Dp and I were pissing ourselves!
It does annoy me when owners are very rude and defensive in their replies to reasonable comments, that says far more about the place than owners who simply apologise gracefully, even if the complainers are loons!
OMG...reading this thread during my lunch hour in the office and I laughed so hard I inadvertantly farted quite loudly!!
This is from a restaurant review:
"The fries were too large but i think this way they will have less oil
Dipping the potatoes in ketchup and garlic sauce gave it a nice taste"
couldn't resist :p
"We booked this hotel on the premise that it is a solely GAY hotel as it clearly states on it's website, we were stunned when we walked out of our room to find female guests, that were heterosexual and married. We were also confronted with this at the breakfast room , there were many heterosexual couples dining there...We will not be returning and suggest that the hotel updates it's website to tell the facts , that it is a normal hotel and takes in all guests , not GAY as it states."
OMG FEMALE MARRIED HETEROSEXUAL PEOPLE!!!!!!!
"i THOUGHT EVERYTHING WILL BE PERFECT NOT UNTIL I OPEN MY ROOM my kids we're the first one to enter and they start to run in the living room and when my youngest kid open my room, she was shocked and told me mom...there's somebody inside our room. I opened the door and I was suprised on what I saw. There's a man sleeping on the bed. I told my kids to go out of the room and I went to the front office and complained. The front office clerk is insisiting that the room is vacant. I got mad at her! called the general manager and complain to him! They wasn't able to fix the problem and I ended up checking out of the same day! "
aaaaaargh!!! sorry all... should have looked at the thread properly
20 astonishing holiday complaints
5th September 2011
Presented to you, for your entertainment and pleasure 20 of the most outrageous, ridiculous and stupid travel complaints made to tour operators
A recent survey from Thomas Cook and ABTA reveals 20 of the most ridiculous complaints by holiday-makers made to their travel agent.
1. "I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts."
2. "It's lazy of the local shopkeepers to close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during 'siesta' time - this should be banned."
3. "On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don't like spicy food at all."
4. "We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our swimming costumes and towels."
5. A tourist at a top African Game Lodge over looking a water hole, who spotted a visibly aroused elephant, complained that the sight of this rampant beast ruined his honeymoon by making him feel "inadequate".
6. A woman threatened to call police after claiming that she'd been locked in by staff. When in fact, she had mistaken the "do not disturb" sign on the back of the door as a warning to remain in the room.
7. "The beach was too sandy."
8. "We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure.Your brochure shows the sand as yellow but it was white."
9. A guest at a Novotel in Australia complained his soup was too thick and strong. He was inadvertently slurping the gravy at the time.
10. "Topless sunbathing on the beach should be banned. The holiday was ruined as my husband spent all day looking at other women."
11. "We bought 'Ray-Ban' sunglasses for five Euros from a street trader, only to find out they were fake."
12. "No-one told us there would be fish in the sea. The children were startled."
13. "It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England it only took the Americans three hours to get home."
14. "I compared the size of our one-bedroom apartment to our friends' three-bedroom apartment and ours was significantly smaller.."
15. "The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the accommodation. Were trainee hairdressers - will we be OK staying there?"
16. "There are too many Spanish people. The receptionist speaks Spanish. The food is Spanish. Too many foreigners now live abroad."
17. "We had to queue outside with no air conditioning."
18. "It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel."
19. "I was bitten by a mosquito, no-one said they could bite."
20. "My fiancé and I booked a twin-bedded room but we were placed in a double-bedded room. We now hold you responsible for the fact that I find myself pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."
If I had the sense of humour of a teenage boy, the title of this review would make me laugh. I don't though, so I'm concerned to hear about car vandalism.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Get started »
Please login first.