Talk

Advanced search

LibDem manifesto commitment on miscarriage care!

(34 Posts)
RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 20-Apr-15 12:56:43

Hello

In a second win for MNers' campaigning efforts on better miscarriage care, we're thrilled to say it gets a mention in the LibDem manifesto (you can see the whole thing here).

This means that both Labour and the LibDems are signed up to improving miscarriage services.

Thanks so much to everyone who contributed by sharing the campaign message over the past year or so.

WastingMyYoungYears Mon 20-Apr-15 18:04:38

Springtimemama Mon 20-Apr-15 18:31:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DianeLockhart Mon 20-Apr-15 19:59:30

Brilliant

peggyundercrackers Mon 20-Apr-15 21:00:59

But they said they were against tuition fees and then voted for them - they just tell people what they think they want to hear then do what they want once they are in power... Me cynical?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 20-Apr-15 21:04:47

I was just thinking "you mean the Lib Dems who renegade on their promise not to increase tuition fees?".

I won't hold my breath...

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 20-Apr-15 21:08:56

I think it's great that they've included it. I hope they get the chance to implement it.

Anyone who believes that the Lib Dems were completely given free choice of what to vote for, and what not, is dreaming.
They have had to compromise and, yes renege, on some of their previous promises in order to achieve in other areas - but that's what you get when you get into bed with the devil. Sell your soul to get what you want - but lose a lot along the way.

frangipani13 Mon 20-Apr-15 21:12:39

Great news.

ouryve Mon 20-Apr-15 21:36:01

Great first steps. Hoping that someone actually gets a chance to act on it.

Kampeki Mon 20-Apr-15 21:57:56

I'm not a lib dem voter, but I often wonder why people are so focused on the tuition fee promise while seeming to forgive and forget all the broken promises made by the Tories before the last election - no top down reorganisation of the NHS, no increase in VAT etc. Surely, as the more powerful coalition partner, there was more onus on them to keep their promises, not less?

Or is it just that people expect the Tories to lie anyway, and so it isn't worthy of comment? confused

Anyway, this is good news about miscarriage care - it is long overdue.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 20-Apr-15 22:03:53

Erm, because there's nothing in this thread about the Tories, they've not signed up to the campaign and to bang on about it would look like grinding a political axe rather than engaging with the salient points of the op?

I'm not a Tory <spits> voter so that's not my angle. It's purely about how much the word of this political party is worth. Based on the promises of the last election and actions while in parliament I'd say very little. Depressing.

Kampeki Mon 20-Apr-15 22:08:51

Fair enough, moving, but I see the same thing everywhere. The Lib Dems are constantly having to apologise for the tuition fee thing, whereas Cameron doesn't seem to have to answer for anything. It's odd.

However, I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll shit up now.

Kampeki Mon 20-Apr-15 22:09:11

shut up blush

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 20-Apr-15 22:11:04

Lol grin

Reluctantlandlord Mon 20-Apr-15 22:19:56

Good news. Worthwhile campaign.

I'm not a LibDem voter either but it's naive to think they had a choice re tuition fees. I also think it's been balanced out by them insisting on the Pupil premium. That one single policy has had a dramatic affect on some schools and their ability to better support children on FSM.

But how quickly we forget in the same way we forget about the massive difference tax credits made to many families.

Blanche0109 Mon 20-Apr-15 23:06:45

I'm sorry but how is this a commitment? There are no specifics involved. Merely saying they will aspire to make things better.

peggyundercrackers Mon 20-Apr-15 23:24:53

If it was naive to think they had a free vote over tuition fees would it also follow that we would be naive to think they would have a free vote over this policy?

Let's be honest they won't get a majority vote to form their own govt. so they will be the smaller party in any coalition formed after the GE, if they are in fact picked to form a coalition again, so why would they be in a different position this time round to follow their own policy instead of someone else's?

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 21-Apr-15 03:59:38

They wouldn't, Peggy - but it's a negotiating position. They can try and push it through, but it would be in return for them agreeing to something else that the majority party in a coalition would want.

Sallyingforth Tue 21-Apr-15 08:41:58

It's good to hear of course, but I wouldn't believe this promise any more or less than any other offer from any of the parties.
We are in for a wonderful time after the election. According to the manifestos, whichever party gets in all our worries will be over.

Just like last time, and every election before it.

DrankSangriaInThePark Tue 21-Apr-15 09:04:35

Good news and excellent timing. hmm

Except it's rather becoming the MN LibDem election this week isn't it?

meditrina Tue 21-Apr-15 18:08:16

"Transform' is all well and good, as is the verbiage about 'early care', but what are they actually going to do ?

MrsHathaway Tue 21-Apr-15 18:16:12

Clegg explained this week that he does not regret supporting the increase in tuition fees, because numbers of young people (even young people from poor families) applying and going to university have not been affected.

LD almost certainly can't form a government, no, but now we know that a Lab govt supported by LD would have miscarriage care as a priority.

Sallyingforth Wed 22-Apr-15 09:44:43

Or a Tory one supported by LD smile

Springtimemama Wed 22-Apr-15 11:09:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sallyingforth Wed 22-Apr-15 12:29:05

Very possibly, and I hold no particular brief for the Tories smile

But the options for a minority partner in a coalition are very limited, regardless of the nature of the majority party.

All the parties are making attractive promises, as they do before every election. But once the number of seats has been counted it will be back to the same old horse trading with the same old tired nags wanting to stay in their comfortable seats stables. I don't see the LDs have any more clout with Lab than they did with the Tories.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »