Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

How about a campaign to stop companies charging adult rates at any age they seem to choose?

(7 Posts)
lieseS Sat 20-Aug-11 14:04:58

My local leisure centre charges adult prices for 16 and over. Bristol Zoo says that you are an adult at 14. There are numerous other companies applying adult charges at seemingly arbitrary ages. What changes even at 16? Most are still in full-time education, the parents don't suddenley receive more money- so what is the thought process in charging more? Most holiday companies say over 12 is adult rate- why? If food is involved- maybe......older children eat more I guess, but apart from that isn't it all based on company greed? Maybe I am more aware of this as there is an age gap with my children of 13, 12 and 2. However, isn't it about time these companies were called to task?

nancy75 Sat 20-Aug-11 14:07:19

this could backfire - companies don't have any obligation to offer a child rate for any age. They could just charge a flat rate for all ages.

I think you have a very good point indeed, although I'm not terribly fond of the whole 'Mumsnet Campaigns' side of MN tbh.

But it does really annoy me.

mousymouse Sat 20-Aug-11 14:08:11

airlines (the budget ones) charge full from 2y - when children need their own seat...

One local museum charges adult rate from age 3 hmm

lieseS Sat 20-Aug-11 17:23:58

Hi Nancy75- I know where you are coming from-should we be grateful that they aren't charging even younger?? My gut feeling is that a marketing advantage would be to state their support of families spending time together and encouraging "youth" as well as younger children. I would certainly respond to such companies- aren't we all fed up with rip-off Britain mentality? If there were a good reason behind price discretion I could buy it but I think that if you start asking why the hike in charges an such ages many companies and institutions would be hard-pushed to respond with a realistic and fair answer that isn't based on profit.

hocuspontas Sat 20-Aug-11 17:46:29

Most family tickets cover children up to 16 which are normally good value. I think you just get used to scanning 'child' ages when you go anywhere new. My dds are primed before we go in zoos/theme parks etc about how old they are supposed to be incase anyone asks!

The daft thing that happened on holiday this year was that my 16 year old and 13 year old had to pay full price for somewhere we went ('children' were 10 and under) but my 19 year old got in cheaper because she had a student card!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now