Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

Sexualisation of young girls

(17 Posts)
Snuppeline Fri 12-Aug-11 20:25:11

Verbautet is selling a sexy looking two piece swimsuit for girls as young as 2 yo. I'm disgusted and am hoping the force of MN can shame them to pull these items from their range (there's a few options of colours and patterns).

http://www.vertbaudet.co.uk/girls-2-piece-swimsuit-pink-dark-all-over-printed.htm?ProductId=700170006&FiltreCouleur=6636&CodBouw=3137920078

GypsyMoth Fri 12-Aug-11 20:32:06

looks ok to me!

woowa Fri 12-Aug-11 20:32:21

here is the link.

It's bad enough looking at it on the first pic, but the little girl modelling it picture is absolutley AWFUL. How do we get them to get rid of it?

Is it a french company?

Pan Fri 12-Aug-11 20:49:12

no sure why a 2 y.o. would need a bikini top. But the range goes up to 14 y.o.

can't say I am exercised by this either.

talitha7 Sun 14-Aug-11 16:26:34

Is it any wonder when television portray female role models so badly. I have just complained to Ofcom about a 'children's' science TV show called 'Brainiac (Science Abuse)' . When I flicked on the TV yesterday at 8:30am, I stumbled upon this show with unbelievably degrading and overly sexual portrayal of women. The women are inappropriately dressed, there is an incredible amount of sexual innuendo, etc..

http://sky1.sky.com/show/brain​iac

If you looks at their website, you can see a couple of examples (see 'Meet the Girls' photos and the videos 'Tickles Body' and 'How hard is your thing?'). I cannot believe that this show has been running for so long as a 'kids show'. I cannot see how the scantily-clad women are appropriate for a children's show.

To complain to Ofcom yourself, you fill out a form here. https://stakeholders.ofcom​.org.uk/tell-us/specific-p​rogramme-epg.

Bonsoir Sun 14-Aug-11 16:33:37

What on earth is "sexy" about the bikini in the link? It is just fine - not particularly to my taste, but totally normal girls wear. If you think there is something to complain about with that bikini, I think you have issues.

flatbellyfella Sun 14-Aug-11 17:11:44

It's just a kids bikini
All little girls would love to wear
it on the beach I am shure ,just like
Their mums& big sisters.

GypsyMoth Sun 14-Aug-11 17:19:46

These campaign things are getting a bit jokey now!!

SoupDragon Sun 14-Aug-11 17:23:04

it's a bikini. bog deal.

If you think it is disgusting, don't buy it.

Madlizzy Sun 14-Aug-11 17:23:05

It's fine. Tell you what though, due to the major campaign going on, I'm finding it difficult to buy first bras for my 12 year old DD which have a little padded protection.

SoupDragon Sun 14-Aug-11 17:23:25

big not bog.

piprabbit Sun 14-Aug-11 17:26:46

I worry about people who can look at a bikini like that and think 'sexy'.

Personally I wouldn't buy it, if enough other people make the same choice then the bikini will not appear in future catalogues.

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 14-Aug-11 17:36:58

Talitha, are you serious?shock

piprabbit Sun 14-Aug-11 17:42:30

Brainiac's is not a child's programme, surely? I've only seen it going out late in the evening - it's Top Gear for Science with lots of drinking games and silly 'adult' jokes. The women do seem to end up in a sort of Benny Hill role.

I think it's a fair point that it's not ideal scheduling to have it on at 8:30am on a weekend.

wonkylegs Sun 14-Aug-11 17:58:29

Its only sexy if you have a warped mind....otherwise it's a bikini, personally I wouldn't put a little girl in one but it's hardly sexualisation
I'm a bit fed up of the overreaction in this particular theme.

talitha7 Mon 15-Aug-11 08:51:12

@piprabbit and Dione: yes, I think it is supposed to be 'family friendly' at least. Ofcom has quite clear guidelines about the scheduling of content. Programs with sexual themes should only be screened late in the evening/night (after kids have gone to bed). I can't believe this one has been allowed to screen for so long during family program time (weekend mornings with the other kids shows).

GypsyMoth Mon 15-Aug-11 22:31:36

bump for you as their is a bikini thread running right now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now