This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

Bring back Bunty! Is there a gap in the girls comics market?

(17 Posts)
Ooteeny Thu 31-Mar-11 12:32:17

I have a thing about childrens' comics...

My daughter loves to read, we spend a small fortune on books and always have a pile of them borrowed from the local library - thanks goodness for libraries! When she was younger we also regularly bought comics.

Now she's nine we cannot find a comic to suit her. She is an 'average' girl, who enjoys stories and most things that nine years olds do. She is not into the latest pop-star fad, is not too concerned about fashion and is not overly fond of horses, animals or bugs - which is what the majority of comics for her age are filled with. She does love 'The Beano', but finds it slightly masculine and refuses to buy it when it comes with a "boy-ey" (her words) free gift - which is often.

When I was a gal... We had Bunty. Now I'm not a massive Bunty fan, but I had it for years, and what I loved about it was the stories. It was jam-packed with them, and they were varied and exciting (if a little Enid Blyton at times, but this was the 70's after all). A comic full of stories, like Bunty, would be perfect. I know she would adore it and buy it every week.

Calling all publishers, I see a gap in the market, please fill it before my daughter is too old!

What do you think?

GypsyMoth Thu 31-Mar-11 12:38:30

i think times have changed and comics and girls magazines are dying out....due to lack of demand. we have the internet now!!!

also,comics,they arent environmentally friendly.......more trees to cut down etc

Ooteeny Thu 31-Mar-11 12:52:32

My daughter still wants to read comics... whether bought from the newsagent or downloaded from the internet (kindle, ipod, ipad...), she still wants to read.

It's stories that she's after, ones where she has to wait until the following week to get the next installment. Not adverts for fashion and soap stars.

Mirage Thu 31-Mar-11 12:59:21

I've often thought about this too.My dd1 (7) loves reading and isn't into pink princessy types of things.She likes adventure stories,dinosaurs and horses,so there is nothing out there for her really.

I had Bunty and I think,Trixie [can't quite remember if that was the name or not],and I can still remember the excitement on the day the comic was delivered and I got to find out what happened next in the serial stories.I feel that the dds are missing out on that somehow.

Tisallafaff Thu 31-Mar-11 13:03:19

We were just talking about this in nobdies. We were lamenting the lack of 'Misty' style comics for young girls today.

annapolly Thu 31-Mar-11 13:07:49

Agreee, I think it is true for boys too. There is nothing between ben 10 and Loaded.

thecatatemygymsuit Thu 31-Mar-11 13:16:01

Bunty was cute for younger children, but for 9+, bring back Misty, it was fantastic!

DrSeuss Thu 31-Mar-11 13:24:59

My friend Claire refers to something else entirely as a bunty!

Ooteeny Thu 31-Mar-11 18:29:23

Lol! Never heard it being called that before!

sb6699 Thu 31-Mar-11 19:31:26

I miss Judy and wish I was able to buy Twinkle for 6 yo dd.

MissMarjoribanks Thu 31-Mar-11 19:38:09

We had Bunty in our house for years. It was ostensibly my sister's, but we all read it. I think I was about 17 when mum finally got round to cancelling it.

GraceK Thu 31-Mar-11 23:11:48

My parents are inveterant hoarders (which can be trying at times) but they let me keep all my Bunty, some Misty (& later NME's - a fine document of 1990's music). During my late teens I couldn't really see why I had two large boxes of comics under my bed when they sold them every week at the newsagents, but now I have two DD's of my own & I look at the racks of magazines now available I am pathetically grateful and am looking forward to them being old enough to enjoy a comic, rather than a glossy magazine full of tatt & fluff - that's for when you get to your early teens & the hormones make your brain melt. (I recently found out my Dad has a collection of railway magazines dating back to the early 1900's so we have form as a family!)

GraceK Thu 31-Mar-11 23:12:38

Opps - sorry bit braindead as DD2 only just gone to sleep. Meant to say would love to see Bunty's return & would buy it again like a shot.

6thclampet Fri 01-Apr-11 12:50:16

I totally agree there is a gap in the market for comics for girls. I think my 7 year olld is quite typical. She likes the idea of a comic but the only reason she has to buy one is the free gift on the front. She can find nothing very interesting inside what's currently on offer, except the odd puzzle. More adventure stories, missions, puzzles, quizzes, competitions, clubs - now that would be a decent comic. Then maybe we could send a message to the publishers putting the current drivel on the shelves - pop this, princess that, tv programme spin off rag the other! I don't remember Bunty myself, but I have friends who loved it. I do lament the pulling off the shelf of Spellbound after only 69 issues, though, sniff! Don't ask me what was in it though - I've had 2 kids!

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 01-Apr-11 13:01:25

I'd get it for DD, she would probably enjoy Misty more. I have a couple of annuals at my parents house that I keep forgetting to bring back for her.

NormanTheForeman Fri 01-Apr-11 13:04:49

My 10 year old ds would love a comic which had a mixture of adventure type stories, and non-fiction articles about interesting things, e.g. the fire service, space exploration etc.

Things like Beano are a bit "Biff, bash, bosh" for him.

He has read National Geographic kids magazine once or twice, but found that there wasn't enough actual information in it. It was all very superficial and padded out with lots of pictures (some would be fine), large writing, but not much of it.

sophis Fri 29-Apr-11 00:25:48

i agree, there could be more of these style magazines about or even online. i used to love twinkle!! can't remember others now but they were sweet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now