Talk

Advanced search

Do we need ISO fix carseats for twins?

(23 Posts)
londonlottie Sun 25-Oct-09 11:37:45

Message withdrawn

MatNanPlus Sun 25-Oct-09 18:35:27

Nope ISOfix isn't essential, they can be easier to fit in the car as don't rely on the car seatbelt holding the seat firm.

Do take the car with you when you look at seats and fit them and test them by firmly holding the seat and see if it moves side to side or forward and back when fitted correctly before buying them.

Ensure you can both put the front seats in comfortable positions with the seats in.

MatNanPlus Sun 25-Oct-09 18:36:42

Have you looked at the Autour de Bebe site?

accessorizequeen Sun 25-Oct-09 19:47:48

In your position, doesn't sound like isofix will give you any advantage & they're a lot more expensive. I found them incredibly useful as I took them in and out of the car a lot (to the house, other people's houses etc) but your plan sounds a good one for your setup! Good luck with it all!

ten10 Sun 25-Oct-09 20:03:13

The thing I loved about our MaxiCosi Iso Fix car seat was not the portability of the seat, as I didn't use a travel system,
instead it was that the seat was so solid in the car it just never moved, whereas any on a seat belt always seemed to move around too much for my liking, (and they were fitted correctly as we got a local baby shop to fit loads in the car before we made a choice)

to me the iso fix just felt safer and therefore I felt happier driving.

accessorizequeen Sun 25-Oct-09 20:29:42

ten10 is absolutely right too of course. Doh, completely forgot we bought them for safety not convenience! Twin mum brain...

twinmumdandc Mon 26-Oct-09 00:44:30

I'm in the DEFINATE YES camp. Like you, we didn't have a travel-system pram thingy, but I found the isofix bases invaluable. If you count the number of times you will be bending and twisting to go anywhere... 8 times every return trip... and then try it with a seatbelt v isofix, and your mind will be made up. We used ours for 18monthsblush until I told my DP it was illegal for us to use them any longer! Taking the car seat out was easier than I thought, and helped when you were out visiting - much easier to take 2 carseats into someones house than taking 2 sleeping babies out and risking them wakening when you didn't want them too. They're well worth the money, and when you consider how much safer the babies are...

Have you found a 'twin-club' near you? I wish I'd gone to mine before I bought everything, they are full of knowledge and you can try things out there as well... a bit like mumsnet but with the bonus of seeing everything in front of you.

Good luck with your decision, and the rest of your pregnancy.

londonlottie Mon 26-Oct-09 09:50:22

Message withdrawn

MrsBadger Mon 26-Oct-09 10:14:31

we didn't have Isofix, but did have the base that stayed in the car (Maxi Cosi Easifix) and it was fab.

Re cars, yes get an estate or a big saloon, but if you get a good one they needn't feel like you are driving an estate.
My otherwise mumsy, economical and practical Focus estate (2l TDi) goes a damn sight faster, is more pokey and a lot more fun to drive than my previous so-called 'hot hatch'.

accessorizequeen Mon 26-Oct-09 14:22:41

I felt the same way about an estate but aside from everything else you need a big boot to stick the double buggy in! Makes life easier, and I loved my estate (have a people carrier now, and much preferred my peugeot 307sw, so nice to drive).

1stMrsF Mon 26-Oct-09 21:19:58

I think you are talking about 2 different things. Our car does not have ISOFIX points, but I would have gone for ISOFIX seats if I could have because of the additional safety. We do have the MaxiCosi car seats that click in and out (they have bases that are fitted with the seat belt instead of fitting the seat with the belt - ah, on rereading I see that MrsBadger has mentioned already - EasyFix) and I do really like having them. I find that when I am on my own, I can carry both seats and therefore don't have to leave a twin in the car on their own, whereas I wouldn't be able to carry both babies without the seats. I can see that I won't be able to do this for very long, as they are quite heavy now (6mths), but while they were little it was helpful and I also like being able to strap them in in the house and then just click them in and go when I get to the car. Especially if you have an elevator, I think you might find them very useful as you won't have to actually carry the weight too far and you will probably find it useful to keep the buggy in the car boot rather than in the flat? It is also very annoying to take them out of the seat and put them in the buggy when they are sleeping. Whilst I cannot pretend that mine stay asleep for very long once we get home, I do usually manage to get them and me into the house, take off my shoes put bags down etc. before they wake up, whereas trasferring to the buggy as we do at destination usually involves much crying.

We also have a VW Golf and will definitely swap for something larger when we can afford it (DH has not been working for 6mths so no large purchases just now). We are managing at the moment, but once the buggy is in the boot, there isn't much room for much else.

HTH

accessorizequeen Tue 27-Oct-09 11:52:31

Well said MrsF. Are they six months already, goodness! How are you doing?

elmotaughtddtousethepotty Tue 27-Oct-09 16:04:49

just to add another perspective - friend who's a fire chief recommends you don't have isofix seats because it's much harder for the emergency services to get the child out in an emergency because if the car frame is twisted the seat won't come out, so they'd have to cut all 3 belts from the child and lift the child out the seat, all of which adds valuable seconds.

but isofix base is a different thing i guess because you can just lift the seat + child off the base.

but best of all are the easy fix bases which fit in with a seatbelt because that way the fireman only has to make one cut through the adult belt and can get seat and kid out fastest.

we haven't got isofix anyway in our car and that only came up in conv when i was concerned whether we should change the car to get it, and he advised not.

but its just one fireman's opinion so make of it what you will. personally we've loved the easyfix base. so easy to use.

x

londonlottie Tue 27-Oct-09 17:12:50

Message withdrawn

londonlottie Tue 27-Oct-09 17:13:16

Message withdrawn

MillyMollyMoo Tue 27-Oct-09 17:20:51

I've been given a Britax First Class brand new and whilst it looks great and would extend rear facing for longer I'm not sure it solves any of your problems, you'll want to move them around in the car seats surely, well I would if visiting people, popping to the shops etc

accessorizequeen Tue 27-Oct-09 18:53:17

lottie, easyfix base attaches to car with seatbelt, isofix base attaches with special isofix fittings. I'd take a look at ebay (uk) for the bases, I've just sold my two for about £50 each. Car seats new also really good prices on ebay/kiddicare, I bought my maxicosifix for £60 new because it wasn't popular colour and just sold it for nearly that! Milly has good point about carrying them round, you don't think you will but very useful to have portability sometimes.

1stMrsF Fri 30-Oct-09 14:35:13

We are OK thanks AQ - we made it to 6 months and we are all in one piece and (mostly) sane grin

1stMrsF Fri 30-Oct-09 14:40:39

Lottie - look here for info on ISOfix.

If your car doesnt have the ISOfix points (pre 2006 models) MaxiCosi has an EasyFix base which uses the seat belts instead.

You can also get seats designed to stay in the car all the time and also fit with isofix - its the base which makes the portable infant seats unique.

BertieBotts Fri 30-Oct-09 14:45:23

Don't know if you saw it but I replied to your post on your other carseat thread

here

HTH.

hattyyellow Fri 30-Oct-09 14:47:59

We had the Britax First Class seats for our twins. We were also keeping an eye on finances and it saved us a fortune. After my section, I couldn't have carried two removable carseats in and out of places and they grow out of them so quickly. My twins have just grown out of their First Class ones (now aged 4) and the seats are still fine for DD3.

They lasted well, were comfy and we were happy with the safety.

Good luck!

BertieBotts Fri 30-Oct-09 14:50:02

Also I have a Britax First Class birth-4 years seat in its box which has never been used (I bought it then changed my mind about what seat I wanted and you can't return car seats... doh!) if you are interested you can email me at onehandclapping at hotmail dot co dot uk. smile

BertieBotts Fri 30-Oct-09 14:50:39

oops that is one _ hand _ clapping without spaces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now