Talk

Advanced search

Exclusively breastfeeding twins at 7 months

(8 Posts)
minimisa Thu 15-Oct-09 11:49:31

I've been doing this from day one and although it has gone really well I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of it. Both twins are at the bottom of the weight chart and wake me up to feed every two to three hours all night. One has done well on solids but the other takes very little and often makes himself sick when I'm trying to feed him. Should I just bite the bullet and give them some formula?

Ledodgy Thu 15-Oct-09 11:51:46

No advice but bumping for you for someone who does. Can I just say Well done though, bf twins for seven months is an incredible achievement!

throckenholt Thu 15-Oct-09 11:54:39

I don't think formula will make much difference - but if you want to try it then view it as just another food type - you can still breast feed too.

My twins also bumped along on the bottom of the charts (well someone has to !) - they are 6 now and very healthy - but still on the bottom 10% of the charts.

I agree - well done for feeding them for so long - I didn't manage to get mine to feed, I ended up expressing and mix feeding with formula top ups.

minimisa Thu 15-Oct-09 15:01:50

Thanks Ledodgy and throckenholt, I might just keep trying with the solids for another week or two and see if that makes any difference at their next weigh in.

kathryn2804 Thu 15-Oct-09 18:51:28

Have you tried doing Baby Led Weaning? You can google it if you want. It's when you miss out purees and go straight to finger food. Breastfed babies love self-feeding and it gives them control over what they're eating. Plus it's great fun (but very messy!!). It might be that your fussy one is more of a self-feeder and doesn't like food being shoved in his mouth on a spoon.

Formula will make no difference to the amount of time he sleeps and probably make little difference to weight gain!

It doesn't matter if the're continually at the bottom of the weight chart if they're following their lines. One of min has been on the 9th percentile the whole time and is a healthy happy 4 yr old boy. You would be over feeding them if they started to jump up the percentiles!!

You've been doing brilliantly so far, just stick to it and it will all fall into place eventually. have you downladed the new breastfed baby growth charts? They're here if you want them: www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/chts_wfa_boys_p/en/index.html

kathryn2804 Thu 15-Oct-09 18:52:22

Here's a link for Baby led weaning :
www.babyledweaning.com/

BertieBotts Thu 15-Oct-09 18:53:39

Breastfed babies' weight does level off at about this age, so try not to worry. Congratulations on getting this far

minimisa Fri 16-Oct-09 10:17:15

Thanks all for the advice. I did try BLW first with both of mine and the fussy one took the food in his mouth and then made himself sick, but maybe worth another try....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now