Advanced search

What do you think Identical or not?

(28 Posts)
LargeGlassofRed Sat 19-Sep-09 20:31:03

Pic's on profile smile

ThisBoyDerekDrew Sat 19-Sep-09 20:33:34

I'd say yes. But apparently you have to wait until 18m-2yrs to be "sure"

LargeGlassofRed Sat 19-Sep-09 20:42:41

Thanks they are looking more alike each day, considering getting the test done, just so I know smile

Trikken Sat 19-Sep-09 21:01:56

Id say yes too, if not, very very very similar!

drinkmoretea Sat 19-Sep-09 21:28:04

If you go to the multiple birth foundation website it gives you detail of the signs to look for, ie shape of ears, hands etc they also do the test cheaper than elsewhere.

We used their test a couple of years ago, our dts are 9 and we were always told they were non identical due to them having separate placentas, but we were always unsure. Their placentas were fused together at birth, the website says this is indication that the egg split early.

So glad we had it done, kind of felt as a parent it is something I should know for definite!

Congrats by the way xx

drinkmoretea Sat 19-Sep-09 21:29:41

Oh, and they have not looked alike to us since becoming toddlers, certainly now I can't see that they look alike!

bronzebeard Sat 19-Sep-09 21:29:48

No idea but that first picture is delightful

LargeGlassofRed Sat 19-Sep-09 21:57:50

Thanks, funny their ears and noses are identical I think,
But dt1 is smaller than dt2 he was 6lb at birth and dt2 was 6 lb 12 oz.
Thanks bronzebeard just got that photo back, I'm really pleased with it.

MarsLady Sat 19-Sep-09 22:02:53

My pram was like pram 2. Loved it. grin

As to the id question... was too busy reminiscing about the pram. Sorry!

starynight Sat 19-Sep-09 22:09:33

awww how cute, think d say yes too.

LargeGlassofRed Sat 19-Sep-09 22:24:37

Marslady, it is a lovely pram and only 40 quid too smile

hambler Sat 19-Sep-09 22:36:40

beautiful children

curiositykilled Sun 20-Sep-09 01:11:06

Only way to tell is the test! I think get the test done!

LargeGlassofRed Sun 20-Sep-09 10:25:34

Thanks all will save up my pennies smile

belgo Sun 20-Sep-09 10:53:52

They are very very similarsmile

I know a family with twins, they didn't test, and after about two years it was obvious the boys are identical.

nappyaddict Sun 20-Sep-09 11:38:31

Do you have to pay for the test then? I'm sure my cousins were tested at the hospital when they were born. They were 7 in May.

LargeGlassofRed Sun 20-Sep-09 12:09:37

Yes have to pay for it, the test not offered at my local hospital

drinkmoretea Sun 20-Sep-09 15:05:58

Here's the info: www.multiplebirths.org.uk/identical.asp

nappyaddict Sun 20-Sep-09 15:37:47

Most identical twins just have one placenta don't they?

thedollshouse Sun 20-Sep-09 15:54:05

I thought that you could tell from the scan? Isn't it right that identical twins share one sac?

drinkmoretea Sun 20-Sep-09 16:01:09

A higher percentage share a placenta, but just because they don't doesn't make them non identical.

I was told the whole way through my pregnancy that my dts were non identical, I really feel that the midwives should have known at the birth when they saw the placentas were fused. And feel quite angry that for 7 years I was lead to believe that something which is quite important (or could be for health reasons) about my children that isn't true.

drinkmoretea Sun 20-Sep-09 16:02:20

"The placenta provides the answer in two-thirds of monozygotic twins. If the babies have a single outer membrane, (the chorion) they must be monozygotic. But one third of identical twins, those whose egg has split early before the placenta started to form, have two chorions with either a fused placenta, where the two placentas have grown together, or two separate placentas. These placentae are indistinguishable from those of dizygotic twins."

LargeGlassofRed Sun 20-Sep-09 19:44:36

Thanks for the info, before I had twins I always thought identical was one sac and one placenta and non identical was 2 placentas and 2 sacs, But after reading the info can be a combination.
So unless there is only one placenta or they are opposite sex the test is the only way to know for sure.

nappyaddict Mon 21-Sep-09 01:00:11

I thought one placenta or even a fused placenta can still be non-identical?

LargeGlassofRed Mon 21-Sep-09 20:58:40

I don't think one placenta can be non-identical, I may be wrong. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now