Talk

Advanced search

How do you feed and wind twins effectively?

(9 Posts)
1000cals Wed 09-Sep-09 20:14:08

My twins are 13 weeks old and I haven't worked out a good way of feeding them together. I was breast feeding them, which was easier. Now I'm moving onto bottles, but often can't effectively wind them, so one of the twins can often sick up a whole feed because he hasn't brought the wind up.

If anybody has got suggestions for positions and techniques, then I'd gladly hear them...

Twinsmommy Thu 10-Sep-09 15:32:00

Oh the early days of twins - I do feel for you.

TBH, my early days are like a hazy memory for me. Can't think of anything really other than to try not to lay your baby down flat immediately after feed. Try putting into one of those bouncy cradle things that sit on the floor at about a 45 degree angle and gently bounces as baby moves - that way, if baby is wriggling with a bit of wind, the bounce might help it up.

I never managed to feed both of mine together. It was always one, then the other. Absolutely exhausting in the early days.

Having said that though, in our early days, we invested in two of those mechanical swings with bucket-like seats (ran on batteries) that, once they had had their feed, they sat in and the chairs swung back and forth. They still spit up, but there was motion there, which seemed to help.

Best of luck! What do you have? Boys? Girls? Boy/Girl? My two boys are now 3!!!

1000cals Thu 10-Sep-09 18:52:13

My twins - b/g seem to always need feeding at the same time and I'm finding it impossible.

KembleTwins Thu 10-Sep-09 19:05:04

When I was feeding mine, I used to sit in the middle of the sofa, with a bottle in each hand, and a baby's head on each thigh. That worked for me better than doing it in bouncy chairs, although a lot of women at our twins' club did it that way. For winding, I would hitch one, then the other, up onto my shoulders (on each, IYSWIM) and wind them that way. It became easy very quickly, once I'd got the "hitching" bit sorted. Feeding at the same time is def the way to go, if you can manage it, otherwise you'll be feeding constantly, as I'm sure you're finding... Sometimes, mine would wind better sitting upright, so I would put them side by side on my lap, facing away from me at an angle of 90 degrees (if that makes sense - so they were side by side along my thigh, one next to me, the other next to her) with one arm supporting both of them, and use the other hand to do the patting bit.

Have you got a twins group nearby? Mine was a life saver!

Sullwah Thu 10-Sep-09 19:48:23

I had a similar approach to Kemble.

I fed them on each thigh. But when they wanted winding I sort of flipped them over on my thigh so they were lying face down on my thigh IFYSWIM and then I would pat their back.

Helps if you have big thighs blush

Bmum1 Thu 10-Sep-09 21:36:33

I did the same as Kemble, though I used to stop and wind one, then the other once they'd had enough to satisfy them. If they were being particularly tricky I would start them this way and then finish them one after the other.

Now that they are 7 months I feed them together in bouncy chairs, but that approach didn't seem to work as well when they were tiny.

jellibob Thu 10-Sep-09 22:15:14

I sit on the floor with my back to the sofa, with my legs bent and the refluxy twin on my thighs, so at 45 degrees. The other one sits in a bouncy chair, and they have their bottles at the same time. I stop to wind the refluxy one after every ounce or so, and only wind the other one half way through and at the end of the bottle.

The refluxy one is more accessible that way, and easier to point away from the carpet when he does erupt grin.

Now they're older - 7 months - I sometimes bottle them in their high chairs or pram at the same time.

anjlix Fri 11-Sep-09 13:49:28

Sullwah lol big thighs after twin pregnancy...oh my thats a big problem. grin

1000cals Fri 11-Sep-09 14:18:03

I will give the head on thighs method a go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now