Talk

Advanced search

bedside cots

(12 Posts)
lucya1980 Wed 29-Jul-09 21:31:16

hello can any1 suggest a good bedside cot for twins. I am going to bf and wanted to make it a bit easier at night? Are they worth it? or is it best just to get a cot bed? i already have a cotbed from my 20mo. He will need it for a while yet. i am 28weeks atm

TeaSleepFood Fri 31-Jul-09 19:54:25

HI there, FWIW I had a cotbed next to my side and had no problem BF at night. They shared the same cotbed until they were about 6 months old (not always in our room I may add!). This may mean that you only need to get one cot bed now extra as your other DS may want a big bed by the time they share.

Oh, many congrats on the twins BTW! I hope all is going well and you don't feel too much of a whale yet!

Keep us posted, and don't forget to visit us on the 'D'y ever...' thread. I think it's currently about crack in the ceiling and parallel universes, but really it's just a chat place for multiple mums. COme and say hello, you know you want too...

<<tries to lure lucya over with the promise of chocolate nuts>>

ZippysMum Fri 31-Jul-09 21:41:00

hi Lucya,
I'm having twins in Sept and we have bought 2 cotbeds but plan to put the babies in together for first 6 mos or so. We've made one of the cotbeds with only 3 sides and have lashed it to our bed as a 'sidecar' - on the middle mattress height it is exactly the same height as our bed. (Only trouble is, I've started to get used to it as a bit of an impromptu bedside table and will have to clear out hot water bottles, tissues, books etc before the babies arrive!!!)

kathryn2804 Sun 02-Aug-09 12:02:14

Definitely worth putting them in easy reach, so you can just roll over, stick them on the boob and nod. I used to snooze sitting up with my EZ b-feeding cushion, it's safe cos they don't roll off smile so you can snooze and feed! Then used to put them down and get up for a snack as it made me so hungry lol! Then back to bed. Makes the night feeds a bit easier!

lucya1980 Sun 02-Aug-09 18:38:47

thanks, i think i wil try and get a cot bed and do what you did zippysmum, we have a divan bed do you think it will be easy and secure on that?

ZippysMum Sun 02-Aug-09 19:12:43

Aaah, a divan - is that a solid base? We do have a bed with a frame so it is easy to tie the cot on. If we had had a divan, I guess we would probably have pushed the cotbed against the wall and then the bed against that to stop it from shifting, if you know what I mean?
Only disadvantage would be that it would be trickier to get babies in / out unless you were in the bed...

lucya1980 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:59:38

yes divan is the solid base. im afraid with the shape of our room it is not an option with fittedwardrobes. Space will be limeted anyhow. I used a crib with my first and we still have it, but i really dont think i can get 2 of them, plus i want them to sleep together. i was also thinking of getting a drop sided cot and leaving the side down right next to my bed, but not sure if the hight would be an issue with the side still. i have seen this but wanted a wooden one really with a proper mattress to last longer http://www.twinsuk.co.uk/more_details.php?id=100858

ZippysMum Sun 02-Aug-09 22:34:08

Hi again, just a thought, but I think a divan base still has a wooden frame around the bottom, even though you can't see it. Maybe you could make a couple of holes where the cot legs are and tie like that? We were keen to co-sleep but reluctant, like you, to fork out - I'll let you know if I think of anything else...

lucya1980 Sun 02-Aug-09 22:39:18

hmm, ill measure up Ds cot bed and see what i can do. It would defo save getting another cot further down the line.

londonlottie Tue 04-Aug-09 20:01:27

Message withdrawn

londonlottie Tue 04-Aug-09 20:03:19

Message withdrawn

1stMrsF Thu 06-Aug-09 21:23:30

In the very early days I wished that I had got one of these, as it would have been good to just reach out for one and not really wake up. However, I moved them to their own room at 4 weeks, and got more sleep in between feeds that way, so you need to consider all the options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now