Talk

Advanced search

If someone offered to help you out 3 hrs pwk,wwy want?

(9 Posts)
mumblechum Tue 16-Jun-09 11:08:19

Am just about to start as a volunteer and will be helping a woman with 5 kids,3 at school & 10month old twins.

I can do 3 hours a week. What sort of stuff should I be offering to help out with? What would you want?

absentminded Tue 16-Jun-09 16:39:12

I would ask her what she really wants. I think everyones circumstances are probably different. She might want you to entertain the children so she can have some "me" time. Thats what I would have liked when mine were small as I dont have any family to help out in that way.

accessorizequeen Wed 17-Jun-09 20:45:30

It will probably change every week. I have a volunteer for 2 hours a week and my dt's are nearly 9 months, with 1 at school too. My volunteer has looked after the dt's whilst I napped/did housework/did the school run, made up bottles, taken dt's for a walk, come to medical appts with me etc etc.

kathryn2804 Thu 18-Jun-09 15:52:48

My friend had someone to mind the babies so she could give the older ones some quality time.

mumblechum Thu 18-Jun-09 19:25:18

Thanks everyone!

galaxymummy Sun 21-Jun-09 22:19:53

Dear Mumble I think you are brill any volunteers free inReading area to support mums of twins greatly appreciated

moptop Sun 28-Jun-09 16:02:48

Don't go with any preconceptions. I had a Homestart volunteer who seemed to believe that what she thought I needed took precedence over what I actually needed. I was BFing so couldn't actually leave the boys with her - so I took the time to catch up with emails/ do online grocery shop etc.

In the end I stopped her coming as she believed I should be trying to "get out more" and use her to enable me to do so - i.e go to twins club or out for coffee. I mean, why on earth would I want to go "for coffee and a chat" with a stranger - I've got friends I can do that with.

She also "wasn't allowed" to change nappies or give any other "physical care" - because that put her (yes, her) at risk (of what, I'm not sure.)

Basically she and her manager were a waste of space and I was very disappointed.

Angstisme Tue 07-Jul-09 09:41:44

It would have put her at risk of an accusation of abusing your babies unfortunately that's the world we now live in, she does sounds like a chocolate teapot though.

MERLYPUSS Tue 07-Jul-09 21:36:16

My homestart lady spent the morning with me and the boys today. We went to Asda and for coffee. It was great to be able to sit in starbucks without people tutting and huffing about the double buggy being in the way (we took the macs). Next week if it is fine I will mop all the floors whilst she keeps the horrors off them to dry. Whooppee hmm. Doesnt sound much but I cant do that on my own without wishing I hadn't bothered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now