Talk

Advanced search

triplets

(11 Posts)
PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Thu 28-May-09 15:37:17

I am about to start working with my first set of triplets.

Do you wise people have any advice for me that will make triplets as easy as twins? wink

I am so excited as I love working with newborn twins and these are my first triplet babies (all girls)

Are there any Do's and Don'ts that I need to be aware of?

Thank you

xx

MatNanPlus Thu 28-May-09 22:37:29

Have a somewhat flexible routine so the everyone has some predictability, be organised ie. nappy changing area stocked, bottles if used are washed after each feed, if the routine gets off track then don;t worry tomorrow is another day and baths are optional

I have found these things have made it easier for the parents, extended family and myself to give the babies what they need - cuddles and attention without feeling harassed or 'run ragged'

All the best.

MultiTaskingMum Thu 28-May-09 22:52:05

Hi, How fantastic for you - and what a challenge! I agree totally with the routine issue - if we lost half an hour in the day, we lost sleep! We had DS aged 4 & DD aged 2 when DC no3 turned out to be DDs 3,4&5! Ours were delivered at 36weeks, miraculously healthy, didn't go to Special Care and were home at 7days old. The more I learn about multiples, the more I realise how fortunate we were!
However, whenever we went out the 'Stop Rate' (total strangers who came up to us to ask inane questions) was 4/hour. We quickly realised this wrecked our routine (sleep), so I had to develop a patter of comments so we could keep moving, but not be totally rude!
We learned a lot from a nanny who had worked with prem babies, and all ours slept through the night by the age of 15 weeks - we couldn't afford help 3nights a week any longer! Feeding took 1.5hrs and they were on 3-4hourly feeds......
I also agree about optional baths - 8years on bedtime can still take 2-3hours! Also NO ironing (except DH's shirts), and visitors have to make their own (and my) tea & coffee!

kristatwin Sat 30-May-09 07:34:19

Wow just reading that multitaskingmum made me stop in my tracks, how old are the triplets now, i have twins and struggle to cope some days.

triplets Sat 30-May-09 13:40:11

I`ll post more later, just back from holiday, well, its not a holiday with my trips!

MultiTaskingMum Sat 30-May-09 13:53:58

Hi Kristatwin, My children are now 12, 10 & 8,8,8, and it doesn't get easier - just different! My involvement is less physical now, but hugely emotional and educational - mediating the million arguments a day (competitiveness seems to be particularly strong between multiples). All parents struggle to cope some days, mums need the support and encouragement of people around them. That's where people like PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest are totally wonderful!!

Disenchanted3 Sat 30-May-09 13:57:56

My God MTM! You deserve a medal!!

My boys are 4 & 2 when DD came along... but if it were triplet I don't know how I would have coped!

Do multiples run in the family?

MultiTaskingMum Sat 30-May-09 14:22:11

Thanks Disenchanted3. No multiples in my family, DH is identical twin (apparently goes down male line), but as my triplets are non-identical that runs down the female line. The chance of a multiple goes up with age and number of pregnancies.

Family all live miles away. It took me about 3years to come to terms with, DH took more and still hides in work. When there are 5 small children depending on you for their survival, you Have to cope, there isn't a choice! People at church and in our village were, and still are, supportive. Sometimes now I enjoy the crowd, even though I never wanted a large family :-)

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Sun 31-May-09 14:26:18

the triplets that i am caring for are very cute (as all babies are). It takes me up to 2 hours to get them all fed and changed!

I have to say that although working 6 nights a week with them is very tiring,it is so rewarding. Seeing all of their little faces all washed and happy before I leave is lovely.

They were 11 weeks early and were due last weekend.

How do you work out what stage they should be at. They are no where near that of 12 week old babies but are more advanced than one week old babies.

Do you take it from 37 weeks as that is "term"?

So are they 12 weeks, 4 weeks or 1 week ???

kathryn2804 Sun 31-May-09 20:29:16

Development stages of prems is difficult. By the time they're 1 they've usually pretty much caught up with their full-term counterparts, though of course they're all different! (my friend's triplet girl walked at 9 mths which would have been 7 1/2 mths corrected shock )but when they're first born they are well behind ofull-term babies, so it's sort of a gradual thing

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Sun 07-Jun-09 10:27:44

when people "adjust" premature babies ages, is it from 37 weeks (term) or 40 weeks (due date)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now