Talk

Advanced search

Surprise 4th pregnancy and just found out its twins - help!!!

(40 Posts)
bagpuss Tue 12-May-09 14:28:56

I had my 12 week scan yesterday and cannot stop panicking. Really just wondered if anyone has been in a similar position and what you did to prepare, how antenatal care in a twin pg differs from a single one and probably about a million other questions when they finally come to me.

BTW, have been absent from MN for ages (although lurking), everyone's missing!

gardeningmum05 Tue 12-May-09 14:39:13

sorry, no advise, just wanted to congratulate you! good luck, hope all goes well grin
happy squabbling over bedrooms wink

Stumblebum Tue 12-May-09 14:44:09

No advice, but congratulations! grin

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 12-May-09 14:46:19

Congratulations!

Would like to add that my sister had her 5th pg of twins - conceived while hubby was waiting for snip after they'd had the previous four children as planned all very close together!! Whoops!

I am here, recognise your name from before, but the regulars are like needles in a haystack now, there are so many mumsnetters these days!

madwomanintheattic Tue 12-May-09 14:46:56

lol. i know 3 people who this happened to - accidental 4th that turned out to be twins lol.

congrats.

i think the accepted norm is you just accept that a couple will turn feral wink which will make indoors a bit quieter... grin

<notes that this is on multiples and withdraws quietly, closing the door carefully>

bagpuss Tue 12-May-09 14:53:15

Thanks everyone grin.

Flibertyjibbet, the ultrasound person yesterday said it happened to her sil also, so I guess I'm not alone. I'm still in shock I think.

MN is busier than a few years ago, also loads of people have namechanged - its confusing me!

lockets Tue 12-May-09 14:55:47

Message withdrawn

bagpuss Tue 12-May-09 15:06:56

Thanks lockets, I remember Mars had twins but wasn't sure of how may others she had. Not sure if lovely or exciting is quite how I would describe it at the moment but dh seems to be getting his head around it a bit better than me which in a lot of ways is good smile.

ajandjjmum Tue 12-May-09 15:10:12

Congrats!

Balamorybaby Tue 12-May-09 17:20:45

Many Congratulations.

My fifth pregnancy resulted in DCDA twins, it was a hell of a shock for us all but they are now 12 weeks old and FAB! The antenatal care def stepped up a gear, I was seen by my mw and consultant much more often than in previous pregs and also had lots of scans throughout - which was great grin

When we found out, I read as much as I could about twin pregnancys, in fact every twin book I could find blush but it really helped me to get my head around the idea of multiples - the pregnancy itself and the years that follow.

This poem was sent to me and I loved it:

A meeting convened one day
In heavens sacred hall
The ideal mother must be found
for twins so sweet and small
She must be patient, first of all
and kind and calm and wise
and capable of chasing tears
away from little eyes
She'd have to put her children first
and be so very smart
have dedication and resolve
a sweet and loving heart
they all agreed you were the best
no other mum would do
yes heaven found the perfect one
and sent those twins to you!

xx

bagpuss Tue 12-May-09 18:16:23

Balamorybaby, thanks for your post that is helpful. I suppose I should get hold of some books, it would be a good place to start. Congratulations to you also on your twins grin. That poem made me fill up (damn hormones!).

niche Tue 12-May-09 20:50:07

congrats bagpuss I'm a mother of 5 too, my b/g dts were dc3&4 and almost 2.5 now.

I didn't have much antenatal care to begin with, but about halfway along it picked up the pace (growth issues) and I was monitored weekly, then towards the end resulted in daily scans (I was refusing induction) before they were eventually coaxed out at 39wks. smile

If there is anything you want to know do give us a shout and come join the long running thread here.

bagpuss Wed 13-May-09 11:37:03

Thank you niche, I will pop along to that thread when I get the chance smile.

Egg Wed 13-May-09 14:02:09

Hi bagpuss (great name, we had a cat called bagpuss many years ago...).

I only have three DCs (DS1 3.3 and DTs (b/g) 16 months) but know all about the shock at finding out it is two.

Just wondering whereabouts you live??

I found ante natal care much better with DTs, but moved from London to Hampshire between first and second pregnancy so might have been better care due to different location.

bagpuss Wed 13-May-09 14:54:39

Hi Egg, we live in Cheshire (I grew up in Hampshire though!). I only just got an appointment in the post this morning to be booked in next week when I will be 13 weeks. I am rather frustrated with the slowness of the whole process tbh. I also had some info on screening tests - are these all still the same with twin pgs? I vaguely remember my neighbour who had twins at the same time as I had ds1 saying that they couldn't test her because of the increased hormone levels but that was 9 years ago so things may have changed I guess - does anyone know?

bagpuss Thu 14-May-09 19:39:39

Just bumping to see if Marslady is around smile.

rubles Fri 15-May-09 13:46:37

Bagpuss, I have just been told at the epu that i am having twins (will be 3+4 for me...) and the nurse told me that the blood tests for screening are not valid with twins, but the nuchal fold is valid.

miniandme Fri 15-May-09 17:06:34

Hi bagpuss,this happened to us too !! After having 3 eldest i split with their dad and spent 5 years on my own then met DH (Ooooo fisrt time ive put that !!) He has previously been told he couldnt father children but we fell pg very very quickly with b/g twins. We too only found out at the 13 week scan and were completely blown away to say the least.
Anyway like someone else said the antenatal care really stepped up in the second half of the pg,i mostly saw consultant,a combination i thought of being a twin pg,a larger lady myself already and a 4th pg.Had a couple of scares at 24 and 30 weeks when they threatened to make an appearance but they stayed put eventually arriving at 36+5.Incidently mine and Eggs due dates were the same yet we both had our twins the same day andboth b/g grin WAVES to Egg !!!

Regards testing the blood tests dont work for twins as the levels would be too high and they cant determine which is coming from which baby.We had a detailed scan done at 20 weeks to check everything over which in scotland we dont usually get.
Overall try not to panic too much if you have managed 3 then another 2 will be a doddle !!Be prepared for when you hit abotu 28 weeks as everything and i mean everything just seems to suddenly become such an effort and sooooo tiring,i found this as did a couple of friends who also have twins.

bagpuss Fri 15-May-09 17:23:39

Ooh, thanks for that rubles and miniandme, I really appreciate your posts smile. Feeling a bit like a local celebrity at the school gate today as dd (aged 6) has told everyone she has met so far about our news shock. Quite glad it is the weekend and I can get a bit of time to think things through.

mel2005 Sat 16-May-09 16:50:00

congatulations, we had twins no3+4 now almost 20 weeks. get the nuchal done now as there is a time limit on it. you should get it for free with twins as the bloods dont work. helps put your mind at rest. you will have loads more scans.

bagpuss Mon 18-May-09 17:15:22

thanks mel. I'm not sure they will offer nuchal tbh unless I pay but I guess I'll find out on Wednesday.

LargeGlassofRed Mon 25-May-09 20:44:34

HI bagpuss, I'm almost 34 weeks with surprise twins. number 4 and 5. congratulations

oooggs Mon 25-May-09 20:53:16

congrats bagpuss & largeglassofred

twins are fantastic, ours are just over two and were numbers. 2&3, can't have been that bad as we went on to have number 4 who is now 17 weeks wink

bagpuss Tue 26-May-09 21:21:28

LargeGlassofRed, congratulations to you too. Still getting my head around things slowly although I'm sure we'll be fine. Everyone has been so lovely and supportive towards us - so different to my third pg which wasn't received with much excitement at all.

Ooogs now that is something I won't be doing again (having more children that is) although I am starting to look forward to having twins rather than worrying about it now.

MrsBonJovi Tue 26-May-09 21:27:12

Congratulations bagpuss!

Do any of you ladies know if the likelyhood of twins increases with the more children you have. My sis is expecting baby no 5 and Im teasing her that it could be twins as she is feeling really rough at the mo...worse than ever before!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now