Talk

Advanced search

Twins swimming - best bouyancy aid??

(11 Posts)
dairymoo Mon 23-Mar-09 13:59:50

Posted in Chat but no one is answering sad so thought I'd give it a go here too!

...I am planning on taking my DTs swimming - on my own - this afternoon and I was wondering which is the best type of flotation device for them - armbands or one of those insulated vest type things?

Any other pearls of wisdom gratefully received!

momov2 Mon 23-Mar-09 16:45:09

how old are they ? i would go for the vest things. i think your brave lol x

RubyrubyrubyHareb Mon 23-Mar-09 16:47:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dairymoo Mon 23-Mar-09 19:52:47

They are 19mo. I ended up buying some armbands as I didn't want to commit to spending £50 on two swimsuit floaty things if they didn't like swimming. It worked! I did have to hold on to them the whole time but DT1 LOVED it and was kicking her little legs and blowing bubbles, whilst DT2 clung on for dear life...with a smile on her face.

I'm so pleased - it's been the one thing I felt I couldn't do as a mum of twins but I can - yippee!!

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 23-Mar-09 20:01:40

The lifeguards at our pool don't like those floatation vests, they said the floats are at the front and back so can tip the child either way.

I don't have twins but have taken my two with a 16m age gap since 6 weeks old. I use arm bands and a woggle once they let go of mummy - they seem to like a woggle as it gives them something to actually hold on to and lets them feel more confident. At first they have it under their arms and hold it with their hands too, then later they just have it under their arms with their arms free.

They are a right pain in the changing cubicle and car though!!

Oh and be prepared for someone to say each time 'oh you look like you've got your hands full' and you have to smile at them while thinking 'what, you think I hadn't noticed?'

dairymoo Mon 23-Mar-09 20:18:18

Haha - yes, but I get the 'hands full' comment pretty much every time I leave the house. I used to get really annoyed by it but these days, as they dart off in different directions, I really have to agree! grin

dairymoo Mon 23-Mar-09 20:19:02

Interesting about the floatation vests though....

curiositykilled Fri 05-Jun-09 20:11:03

I got some really good blow up vests for about £3 each from range. My 3 year old loves them but my 2 year old is a bit small for them, unfortunately can't offer too much help that is twin specific as my twins are not yet born! I have seen people with kids in armbands and a rubber ring which looked a more comforting option than just armbands for an unconfident child.

shoshe Fri 05-Jun-09 20:39:29

I dont know if this will help, but I take my 3 under 5 mindees swimming every week.

I originally put his (tongue in cheek) in the CM Staff Room, hope it helps.

We can take two children per adult swimming

So usually I have a adult helper (Little Cook, Big Cook????)

Anyway, I have a friend who is CRB cleared, she brings her little girl and I pay for her to get in.

OK are you ready for the masterclass.

Before you go, change all kids into all in one fleeces, and vest and nappies.

When you get there, change yourself first, then eldest and so on down the line, as you take the clothes off, hang on peg the way you are going to put them back on, with nappy over the top.

Once in water, all have arm bands and rubber rings, that way you can keep them all above the water level and grab them by the ring, if they float to far away. Never Ever put child in ring without armbands they can slip through.

Once swimming is over, strip child, sit on floor (they will fall off benches) with bum in the ring, (they cant crawl off then) cover with towelling poncho so warm and give snack and drink.

Dress yourself, you cannot dress them if you are cold and shivering, it takes twice as long.

Then start with the youngest usually they are dry by this time, dress, put in buggy cover with blanket, do the next child.

I can usually get us out and all 4 of us changed and in the car in 15 minutes.

Then straight home to bed, if they make it that far before falling asleep.

So endeth the masterclass grin

oooggs Fri 05-Jun-09 20:44:01

well done dairymoo - I am very very impressed grin my twins are 25 mths and I haven't done swimming with them on my own.

faeriefruitcake Fri 05-Jun-09 23:17:01

I take my 6month Dt's and toddler swimming every week. We use armbands, that's what they give us for the class and that is what was recommended by the instructor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now