Talk

Advanced search

Twin water birth?

(13 Posts)
LargeGlassofRed Fri 27-Feb-09 02:02:02

Why is it such a big no no with twins?
I had my son in hospital and it was awful, went on to have dd1 and dd2 at home with dd2 being a water birth.
Dd2's birth was wonderful so much easier in water.
Have been told I must have my twins in hospital as no midwifes would be willing to cover a home birth.
I have come to terms with that, but really want a relaxed low intervention water birth.
Obviously If there was any problems I would do whatever was advised, but really scared of being strapped to monitors and confined to bed.
I haven't actually managed to speak to the consultant yet, so unsure of his views. I'm due to see him at 28 weeks I'm 21 weeks now.
Have started reading up on the subject and have had some excellent advise from another mums netter jennyroper.
Would be interested to hear other twin mums experiences.
My twins are in separate sacks with separate placentas, so lower risk I think.

LargeGlassofRed Fri 27-Feb-09 07:27:59

Bump for daytime

MarsLady Fri 27-Feb-09 10:35:42

I think part of the reasoning is the great risk of bleeding post birth. There's no reason why you couldn't have a water birth but you would have to fight for it. Lots of YOUtube birthing videos of twins in water and triplet vaginal births.

I think you should get in touch with Mary Cronk (you'll have to google). Also the midwifery yahoo group. Email me again and I'll send you the link (though probably not before tomorrow as I'm just out the door).

Yes you're right... your babes are lower risk. smile

thisisyesterday Fri 27-Feb-09 10:44:34

could you afford an independent midwife???
that;s what I would do in your situation, so I could have a home water birth,#

realise it's a lot of money though, and may be out of the question.

NotQuiteSoBigBird Fri 27-Feb-09 17:10:44

Hi LargeGlass, my consultant said I could get in the pool for the first stage of labour but would need to get out before transition so they could monitor me properly. In the end, I was induced after my waters broke so no possibility of using the pool anyway. Good luck to you - I loved my water birth with DD1.

LargeGlassofRed Sun 01-Mar-09 02:50:45

thanks all, sorry pc at home has crashed so had to wait till I was at work to reply grin
Can't afford an independant midwife unfortuantly, will have a look at
Mary Cronk, have watched the you tube videos mars makes me want one even more. smile

jabberwocky Sun 01-Mar-09 03:25:13

Twins really are a greater risk birth. Everyone wants a great birth experience but in the end it's all about having healthy babies and a healthy mother. I would be very open minded as to what the consultant has to say regarding what is safest for all.

gagarin Sun 01-Mar-09 07:53:26

Read up on the statistics for complications and poor outcomes for twins - once you have all the information at your finger tips you can argue from a position of strength.

The reason the staff say no to a water birth or a home delivery are in that statistical information and their intepretation of it.

If you have a different interpretation then maybe you can persuade them otherwise.

Sadly I suspect they will be immovable because in their opinion the risks of a water birth (which is better for you) are greater than a monitored birth (which is better for the babies).

But have a go anyway!

breadandroses Thu 05-Mar-09 14:14:55

Which hospital are you in?

I had a twin waterbirth at the birth centre at Queen Charlotte's Hammersmith.

Team there were fab.

Twin 1 was delivered in water, twin 2 was breech so consultant insisted I got out of the pool to deliver.

Have to dash but will be back later.

Jane Evans came to talk the midwives through it- google her as well as mary Cronk.

LargeGlassofRed Thu 05-Mar-09 22:56:13

Ah thanks breadandroses, I'm in Gloucester.
Have looked at mary cronk but will google Jane Evans.
Spoke to mum at school today who's a assistent on labour ward and she advised I call or write to head of midwifery. She's going to get me the name, also find out what the guildlines in the hospital are.

breadandroses Fri 06-Mar-09 12:37:21

What really helped me was having a one-to-one midwife, as she was able to advocate for me, for example when they wanted me to come into hospital at 37 weeks to do a 24 hour urine collection, it was her who insisted this could be carried out from home. There were countless occasions like this when she said "no" when I wouldn't have had the knowledge or energy to challenge the consultant- not the he was pushy, just more concerned with possible risks and less able to listen to what I wanted. So well worth finding out if you have a similar scheme there. You may well find birth centre midwives more willing to accommodate a water birth.

I think you are in a MUCH stronger position both with the hospital, and with your own body, as you have had normal labours and so know what to expect. You just need to keep telling them that you can do this!

breadandroses Fri 06-Mar-09 12:38:59

There is also a yahoo group ap multiples who have some inspiring birth stories, also get hold of Elizabeth Noble's book "Having Twins and more".

YoungMummy69 Tue 01-Dec-15 15:27:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now