Talk

Advanced search

TTC twins, any experiences, advice? Please come and talk to me.

(8 Posts)
bahia Sun 25-Jan-09 07:17:47

My dh and I have one baby which was delivered by CS. The surgery was awful and I'm still not over the pain I felt and the long and painful recovery. Since my dh is also significantly older than I am, we'd like to see only one more pregnancy through. I'd love to have twins so I can complete my dream of a family.

Are there drugs which I can take to make sure/encourage a twin pregnancy? Can you select the sex or do you just get lucky. I'm curious but haven't approached a doctor yet.

Has anyone been through this or know someone who did?

ScummyMummy Sun 25-Jan-09 07:44:33

No. There's nothing you can do to ensure that you conceive twins afaik. Some fertility drugs might boost your chances of releasing more than one egg at once or you could have more than one embryo implanted in your womb via ivf but no ethical doctor would facilitate this for you and even if you found an unethical one there are no guarantees.

Sorry to hear your cs was awful. Have you had any counselling/debriefing about your birth?

popperdoodles Sun 25-Jan-09 07:45:22

Certain fertility drugs increase the chances of having twins but I feel you would have trouble finding a doctor who would prescribe them unnecessarily.

bahia Sun 25-Jan-09 09:25:56

hi SM, no I haven't had councelling. I'd rather not go through it all again but I would love to have 2 more dc. I hated being pregnant and the birth was just a disaster.

We have twins on my Mum's side of the family. I actually released 2 eggs but only one got fertilized...always knew my DH would be to blame grin

Thank you both for your answers. I will keep my ears open, I'm sure Harley Street will hold the answer for me.

boysgalore Sun 25-Jan-09 19:29:24

If you hated being pregnant with one, I can assure you being pregnant with twins is loads harder.

duckyfuzz Sun 25-Jan-09 19:37:04

if there are twins in the maternal line you haev a high chance of conceiving them anyway

I have to agree with others that you sound pretty negative about the whole thing - having twins is not something you can go into half heartedly!

pollyblue Mon 26-Jan-09 20:27:56

If you hated being pregnant and found the c/s birth a disaster I would heartily recommend addressing these issues before trying to get pregnant again, ask to go through your hospital noted with your mw or talk it through with a birth trauma counsellor.

I'm saying this because I'm currently 37 weeks with non-id twins and due to have them by section next week - this is because dd who's 2 was a section birth. It doesn't always follow you will need a section with twins, but it does seem if you've had one previously it will be recommended.

This pregnancy has also been considerably harder than my previous, mainly because I'm carrying so much more weight - have had severe back/chest/rib pain, very swollen legs and feet etc. Life with an energetic toddler has been a bit tricky for the past couple of months!

I can't help you with info about conceiving twins deliberately, I'd just urge caution - it can be hard going and you'll possibly face another section.

pollyblue Mon 26-Jan-09 20:29:07

sorry notes not noted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now