Talk

Advanced search

newborn twins - where's the best place to sleep?

(11 Posts)
mum2william Thu 01-Jan-09 22:07:48

I'm expecting ID twin boys in Apr and am still at a loss as to the best place for them to sleep. I know the general understanding re SIDS is next to our bed but there's only room for a moses basket - could prob squash in 2 but have also heard it's better for them to stay together in the early days. I'm hoping to B/f so in our room would obviously be better than in their own room.

DS was a big baby and only lasted 6 weeks in moses basket before into cot in his room, if the DT are big too, can't see them both squashing into a single moses basket.

Would love to hear peoples advice on the subject.

Also, DS is 17 mths and I was thinking about putting him in a big bed in a month or so to free up his cot. I've just read some other threads that say this can make beautiful sleepers into monsters!!! Obviously not something I want just before the DT arrive! Advice, thoughts or experience on this transition would be of great help too.

Thanks

drinkmoretea Thu 01-Jan-09 22:11:22

my dts went straight into their own room in their own cots next to each other, i also breast fed.

There was no way they would have both fit in our room, i used to go into their room and sit on lots of cushions to feed them..

Tortington Thu 01-Jan-09 22:13:15

i put both mine in one cot upstairs and seperate moses baskets downstairs.

MinaLoy Thu 01-Jan-09 22:21:09

Hello, we only have a small bedroom, and I'd read that it was fine for DTs to be together in the early days, so we had one cot next to our bed while I breastfed them, they moved into their own cots, in their own room, at sixth months.

If you can only fit one moses basket in beside your bed, remember that DTs are usually quite wee, they might both fit in one basket (?) Ours weighed five pounds ish, each. We didn't have moses baskets though, so I don't know how many teeny twins would fit into one!

Good luck!

BibiThree Thu 01-Jan-09 22:22:33

DTs shared a moses basket (they were 5 weeks early so quite small) until about 6 weeks, then went into their own, in our room. When they outgrew them they went into their own room.

thisisyesterday Thu 01-Jan-09 22:25:01

have you got space for a crib? bit more roomy than a moses basket?

mum2william Fri 02-Jan-09 12:11:15

a crib, possibly and strangely a neighbour has just offered me hers! (is someone trying to tell me something?) It can't be moved up and downstairs like a moses basket so I guess that's how to shed the baby weight, dashing up and downstairs!

thisisyesterday Fri 02-Jan-09 19:04:52

lol, perhaps you could have something else for them downstairs??? do you have a pram with a carrycot??

mamadiva Fri 02-Jan-09 19:08:47

First of all congrats!

My mum has Identical twins and they slept in moses baskets for the first few weeks then grew out of them, she put them in one cot in her room and bought a travel cot with bassinet for downstairs they slept fab in that

mamadiva Fri 02-Jan-09 19:11:36

Oh and regarding 17MO maybe leave it a little while but thatsonly my opinion as I have not had good experience with that!But my DS was 2 when he went into a bed.

This looks good and is apparently quite big

curiositykilled Wed 08-Jul-09 12:55:06

I'd probably move the 17month old as soon as you can if you are planning to use the cot for the twins at any point - he might feel they have pushed him out of his bed otherwise. I'd take the cot away and hide it until the twins are going to use it, refer to it as his baby bed when you are putting it away and then don't speak about it unless he mentions it and make a big fuss of him getting a big boy's bed so he feels happy and grown up having a new bed. Peer pressure can help too if you make a show of looking at his other friend's big boy beds when you visit their houses.

I was lucky - my little girl slept better when she got her big girl bed but we did make a BIG fuss about her being grown up for a while before the bed came and after the bed had arrived. My eldest, who was 3 at the time, and her went into big beds at the same time from their old cotbeds (used as junior beds) so that helped too. We only did this because we knew we were having twins and there was a possibility we would have to use both cotbeds for them.

If you are planning on getting new cots for the babies then probably don't bother. It'd be quite useful to have the older one in a bed you can trap him in until he starts complaining!

Could you expel a chest of drawers into another room, just temporarily, to make room for another basket?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now