Talk

Advanced search

Help! Birthday presents conundrum...

(8 Posts)
Pip2 Wed 23-Feb-05 10:36:54

Hi All,

I don't actually have twins but I've come here for advice from you all! DD and DS have been invited to a birthday party at the weekend for twin girls who are turning four. What is the correct thing to do...do I buy two seperate (but similar) presents or is it acceptable to buy one present? I usually spend about £5-7 per present, DH suggested that instead of buying two seperate presents, why not buy a single one eg. a DVD costing around £15 which will be watched by both. What would you all suggest? I don't want to disappoint anyone or do sumthing that will be inappropriate. I'm open to any tips, ideas and suggestions that anyone may have!
Thank you!!

Bozza Wed 23-Feb-05 10:40:30

Personally (there are twins at DS's nursery) I would buy two separate presents in the £5 range. I think at that age the present opening is an important part of the whole gift thing. IMO twins will be forced by circumstances to share a lot of things so it would be nice for them to each get their own presents. Would also get a card each too.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 23-Feb-05 14:40:29

Hi Pip2. As a mother of twins I would prefer that they got 2 separate pressies. As Bozza says children like the opening of their presents (often more than what is inside - true in our family sometimes). At Christmas my DSis1 said that the DTs could share their present. I said that I thought it unfair, but she did what she wanted. Fortunately they are too young to notice, but I've decided to tell my DSis that if she wants to give the DTs 1 pressie to share, then I'm going to give her and her friend 1 pressie to share. Sorry, rambling on... The thing that I think is important is that the twins are seen as separate individuals. This will be my bugbear for a long time I feel.

So the upshot... a couple of cheaper pressies is the way to go.

cheryl1707 Sun 27-Feb-05 19:25:20

Hi

As the mum of twin boys I reccommend that you buy a gift each, not through greed but these are 2 individuals so should be treated this way, you don't have to spend a lot, if it were for my kids I would be happy for their friends to just attend the party, but kids being kids do expect pressies, how about a card and a sweet each
cheep and cheerful

sacha3taylor Sun 27-Feb-05 19:41:44

I had the samr problem a few weeks ago, i bought a DVD for them to share as my DS convinced me that this was what they wanted [they were turning 5] After all the worrying [i did ask the mum and she just said to get whatever i wanted- big help] it turned out that they had the DVDand i ended up going and buying something else!!!!!!!!! I think DS ment he wanted the DVD

sacha3taylor Sun 27-Feb-05 19:43:45

I did get seperate things after -thankgod after reading all your posts!!!!!!!!!!

cheryl1707 Sun 27-Feb-05 19:44:52

At least you tried getting what your son wanted(lol) now you know what to get him for his birthday/easter,

sacha3taylor Sun 27-Feb-05 19:55:16

I should have kept the DvD,he went to another party a week later and he got it instead. My DS changes his mind like the weather about things he wants for his birthday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now