Talk

Advanced search

twins christening - godparents question?

(12 Posts)
harrogatemum Mon 14-Feb-05 15:24:55

Hi all - I am considering getting my twin boys christened in the summer this year before they turn 1. My question is - would they both have the same godparents or would they each have different ones? Would be interested to hear what other people have done and how it worked out!

givenupforlent Mon 14-Feb-05 15:26:36

My sis and I had different Godparents

PiccadillyCircus Mon 14-Feb-05 15:27:38

I'd assume they'd have different godparents.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Mon 14-Feb-05 16:34:16

Hi harrogatemum. My DTs have separate godparents. I did initially think of giving them the same godparents, but DT2's godmother said that it would be nicer for the DTs to have separate people to spoil them. I thought about it a lot and decided that she was right and also that it wasn't quite fair on the godparents to give them a set of twins. For me it came down to the fact that they could be individuals with the godparents. DT1's godmother adores girlies and DT2's adores boys. So win win. Also, if I need to call on them for babysitting eg going out with the older kids, the godparents only have one child each to deal with. It's working out very well for us. hth

4kids Mon 14-Feb-05 19:59:13

My dt's have the same godparents cos i couldnt decide what twin had what godparent i couldnt also decide on who 2 have .we made a list & weighed up who would b good godparents but still couldnt pick so we chose them all dt's have 8 godparents 4 women & 4 men its great.

Gem13 Mon 14-Feb-05 20:14:26

DH and I are godparents to one twin neice, other brother and his wife are godparents to other twin neice.

All very even. Apparently we got the 'easy' one as we didn't have children at the time. Whenever we see them and establish who is who (v. identical) I always try and work out why the other one is more difficult!

With our own children we offset the supporting adult (we had Naming Ceremonies) who would forget birthdays with one who wouldn't. With DS they have surprised us (swapped personality traits!) while with DD they haven't.

cheryl1707 Sun 27-Feb-05 13:07:06

Hi
I recently had my twin boys christened. they are 13 months, I also could not decide on godparents both twins have 2 godmothers(the same 2 ladies for both) and 1 godfather who is also the godfather to their big brother.

They all decided amongst themselves also that it was not fair to make us choose who was whos gomother as they are both special little boys, you do whats right for you and i'm sure the godparent will be delighted however many godchildren they have, it makes it extra special that not many people can say " i'm godparent to twin" they will be trully honoured

tammybear Sun 27-Feb-05 13:08:26

my brothers are twins and both have different godparents

Tortington Sun 27-Feb-05 17:32:32

one set each for mine. more people feel involved that way. one set from my side of the family one set from dhs.

my eldest ds has a set of his own i dont see why the twins should be any different.

SleepyJess Sun 27-Feb-05 17:33:28

I think you can actually do as you wish.. don't think there are any hard and fast rules about it... you can have as many as you want.

SJ x

fionaow Wed 02-Mar-05 19:45:43

Hi. The traditional way is to have 3 godparents per child, 2 of the same sex and 1 opposite. We decided to pare that down and our twin girls have a godmother and a godfather each. That way, they will have someone independent to turn to if they need them when they are older.

Hulababy Wed 02-Mar-05 20:20:12

I would assume twins would have their own individual godparents.

DD has 4 godparents, as we wanted to have two sets of married couples as godparents. We also made a definite decision to have friends, and not family, as godparents - we saw it as a way of extendong DD's faamily IYSWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now