Talk

Advanced search

My 12 week scan has scared the hell out of me

(14 Posts)
pophas2beans Thu 24-Jul-08 18:07:05

Hi all. I had a scan today that didn’t go too well. I’ve been referred to Kings College in London and have an appointment to see them on Wednesday.

There were some questions over the nuchal fluid test that need double checking and as to whether the babies are in the same sac. At one of my earlier scans I was told that this was the case but today was told that it’s not a good thing for them to be in the same sac and that if that is the case then there is a very high fatality rate. The sonographer today discovered a thin membrane that looks like it could be separating the babies in the placenta which is good and means they will be fine but Kings College will be able to run further tests and confirm this for us.

I'm not to nervous at the moment but I imagine I will be come Wednesday.

ruty Thu 24-Jul-08 18:08:41

oh gosh how stressful for you. I do hope it all goes ok and the thin membrane turns out to be strong enough. Good luck.

MarsLady Thu 24-Jul-08 18:09:40

Honey I'm sure all will be well. If they are in the same sac fret not. Lots of ID twins are like this and are born fine.

My sonographer was confused as to what the line was between my babies until I pointed out that they were in separate sacs.

Thinking of you.

We're on the d'y ever threads and there's a Are you expecting twins thread as well.

Come by and say hello.

In fact I'll send some of the ladies over to you. smile

Flibbertyjibbet Thu 24-Jul-08 18:09:48

I don't know anything about this but just wanted to reply to your post and say that I hope all is well on Wednesday.
Someone who knows about this will be along in a minute.

tkband3 Thu 24-Jul-08 18:23:56

My DTs shared a sac and were born at 37+4 with no complications at all - in fact my twin pregnancy was less eventful than my singleton one! The sonographer has scared you unnecessarily in my (not medically qualified) opinion. Yes, twins who share a sac are higher risk than id twins in separate sacs, but you will be closely monitored with scans at least every 3 weeks, if not 2.

Please try not to worry (easier said than done I know). Let us know how you get on on Wednesday.

MerryMarigold Thu 24-Jul-08 19:07:08

pophas, congrats on twins! i don't know much about sacs etc. that was very tactless of sonographer though. scans seem to be quite inexact, tbh. i had my first scan at 14 weeks and was told i was having triplets and they were all on one placenta. anyway, 2 scans later it turns out i have twins on 2 placentas, so...!

please come to the twins thread and join us. We're all due at different times, some have given birth.

Hope Wed reassures you and someone who knows something about twins can speak expertly.

oooggs Thu 24-Jul-08 19:49:58

welcome to an exclusive club wink and hope it is all sorted so you can enjoy looking forward to being a mummy to multiples smile

frumpygrumpyhasPMT Thu 24-Jul-08 20:44:06

Oh, please join us on our daily thread, we never say all the insensitive crap and in fact we keep a list of all our personal worst ones and lay them out and laugh once we have vented grin

I think the worst one I heard of was "oooh, twins, how lovely, which one do you prefer". <<thud>>

frumpygrumpyhasPMT Thu 24-Jul-08 20:44:36

Oh, so sorry, I have no idea how this got on here.....wrong thread

frumpygrumpyhasPMT Thu 24-Jul-08 20:46:35

I feel awful for that.

I hope all is well xxx.

glamourbadger Thu 24-Jul-08 21:46:02

I was told my twins shared a sac at the first scan but they were actually separate. I did some reading and this is apparently quite common. Try not to worry - if your twins are monoamniotic they will monitor you very closely.

pophas2beans Fri 25-Jul-08 08:07:48

Frumpygrumpy, please don't feel bad. I think yo may have answered my other thread that i posted a few days ago grin

glamourbadger, thanks for sharing your story. that gives me hope. The sonographer did say that she thought she could see a faint memebrane dividing them so lets hope that she was right.

Does anyone know anything about downs stats. The sonographers computer was playing up a bit so she couldn't give the correct stats to me. Hoping kings can!! One measurement was 2.2mm and one was 1.9mm. The stats came out as 1 in 314 and one in 469. is this really a cause for concern?

I'm going to join your other thread too! grin

Thanks so much.

tkband3 Fri 25-Jul-08 10:26:21

As I said before, I'm not medically qualified those stats do not seem high risk to me. How old are you? (If you don't mind me asking smile). That can have an impact on what might otherwise be viewed as 'unworrying' results. (I've just checked your profile and at 31, you're certainly not viewed as 'old' grin). I was 36 when I had my twins which was considered old hmm!

Hope all goes well at kings.

pophas2beans Fri 25-Jul-08 11:29:09

thanks tkb. Most of my friends are older than me and they didn't have any worries so i'm hoping that it was just the computer playing up and that everything is fine. I've also dug out my notes from my 7 week scan and it says that each baby has a yolk sac so therefore I find it hard to believe that they are sharing one sac. I wish i had shown those notes to the sonographer yesterday. I'm feeling slightly less anxious than i was yesterday. smile

Right, I really must go and get in the shower or else I'll have to pick DD up from nursery in my pj's! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now