Talk

Advanced search

Clomid tiwns?

(21 Posts)
runtus Tue 11-Jan-05 12:21:08

Just a quick survey really to see how many of you Multiple birth mums were prescribed Clomid?

I only ask becuase I have just finished my 1st course and getting a bit nervy now!

Chandra Tue 11-Jan-05 12:24:44

As far as I remember you have 1 chance in ten of having twins. Are you already pregnant? congratulations if so .

welshmum Tue 11-Jan-05 12:26:06

No multiples for me but 2 seperate friends have had.......triplets. Was a while ago though I think most hospitals are far more careful now - they may not treat you that month if it looks like 3 eggs are viable...or at least not without informing you. Are you being scanned before your fertile period?

sandyballs Tue 11-Jan-05 12:26:46

I have twins but not through Clomid. Didn't realise it was 1 in 10! Thought the odds were much less than that. It also depends on identical/non-identical I think.

Chandra Tue 11-Jan-05 12:26:47

I had clomid for months and there are twins in DH's family so we were very positive about the idea. But no, just got one

runtus Tue 11-Jan-05 12:42:38

Saturday is cd28, so waiting to see if pg right now.......fingers crossed!

My dad has twins and triplets in his family, would that affect it at all or does it go down the other side of the family?

jane313 Tue 11-Jan-05 13:08:21

identical twins only run through the mothers family I believe and I don't think non identical twins have a genetic factor, its just 2 eggs (which is more likely the older you are). A friend had boy girl twins after taking colmid

runtus Tue 11-Jan-05 13:16:00

Right, so my dads family wouldn't affect my chances then? Think I am quite relieved about that! I wouldn't be upset to get twins obviously but the added chance with Clomid will do me for starters I think!

Kelly1978 Tue 11-Jan-05 13:24:50

I might be wrong but I think non identical twins can run downt he mother's side too, as the increased fertility factor can also be inherited. I'm expecting non-identical twins, but not through clomid. I was using contraception too, so dunno what happened there!

RTKangaMummy Tue 11-Jan-05 13:44:28

I was on Clomid and had IDENTICAL twins

no twins either side

IDENTICAL TWINS ARE DEFFO just a chance happening same chance for everybody

It is just at what point the split happens obviously if it doesn't at all the siamese twins.

fraturnal = non identical which can run in families

HTH

runtus Tue 11-Jan-05 14:52:34

Thanks for all your help guys, guess I have as good a chance as anyone then!

runtus Tue 11-Jan-05 14:52:35

Thanks for all your help guys, guess I have as good a chance as anyone then!

runtus Tue 11-Jan-05 14:52:57

Thanks for the info girls - guess I'll just have to wait and see...........

runtus Tue 11-Jan-05 14:53:18

Damn - twin posts if nothing else!

4kids Tue 11-Jan-05 16:47:56

rtkangamummy is right i have identical twins.Identical twins is one egg that splits{should only b 1 baby} & anybody can have identical twins. Fraturnal{Non identical} 2eggs,2sperm run in families they say on mothers side but all fraturnal twins in my family r frm my dads side.

Prettybird Tue 11-Jan-05 17:23:18

My understanding is that there is a genetic element to non-identical twins, but that it can only be seen in the female line, as it is to with the propensity to double ovulate.

My GP friend says that identical twins CAN possibly go down both sides, as there may be a genetic tendency for the fertilised egg to split. She told me this when I tild her that dh had been a twin (undiagnosed twin-to-twin transfusion - he was born fat and happy, the other one wasn't - but you onoy get twin-to-twin transfusion with identicals).

He's had twins read into his palm, which is why I am particulalrly interested, as I would dearly love to TTC again.

May also be needing Clomid myself, as I am now 43 and don't think I am ovulating regularly any more(can usually feel when I do).

TwoIfBySea Tue 11-Jan-05 21:32:08

I hadn't even heard of Clomid before this thread!

But just to add that I have fraternal ds twins (although they look identical to everyone else who then thinks I am lying by saying they are not.) It was 2 separate eggs and natural conception - i.e. one hell of a shock at scan time. My mum's brothers are the same, fraternal but look identical to those who don't know them. My dad's sister has identical twin girls - now 40ish - and so does my cousin (from my mum's side again.) Make of that what you will, it is lucky dip in my family.

There is my tuppence worth anyway.

Good luck whatever the amount runtus!!!!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 11-Jan-05 21:35:53

My DTs are fraternal girl/boy. Wasn't on anything unless champagne sangria counts?

throckenholt Tue 11-Jan-05 21:51:20

nope - mine are id - never had any clomid. I think the majority of twin mums on the twins site I read did not have clomid - though some did have ivf etc.

TwoIfBySea - yours may be id - they may have split early and so implanted in 2 places and hence got 2 placentas - only way to tell is by a dna test (unless the look totally different of course).

Fraternal are supposed to run in families, id are not, but some people say that id do - I guess the boffins just have figured out the mechanism so say it doesn't !

Twiglett Tue 11-Jan-05 21:52:48

I had clomid but only had one child from it

runtus Wed 12-Jan-05 12:09:29

Oh god, looks like it is a minefield for everyone then! I've given up trying to work out if I am more likely than most now (apart from the Clomid) and will have to just wait and see. Anyone would be a bonus so I guess t little people will be double the bonus (I hear you twin mummies laughing from here!)

And ROFL MunchedTooManyMarsLady!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now