Talk

Advanced search

How did you feel at 31 weeks pregnant with twins?

(11 Posts)
MrsEG Fri 16-Aug-19 08:17:17

Hi all,
I am currently almost 13 weeks pregnant with DCDA twins, had our 12 week scan this week and all looking great!

My family however are all now trying to plan Christmas, by which I’ll be just over 31 weeks. My consultant mentioned that from 28 weeks with twins you really start to feel quite fed up and uncomfortable, can’t drive, may think about finishing work etc. Which makes me wonder if I am being optimistic thinking we can travel to my parents (only 30 mins in the car), get all dolled up for the day, and spend a full day there with the full family? Am I just going to be exhausted and in pain and wish I was in my PJs on the sofa??

I’m just wondering what other people’s experiences were around this stage to try and see if I think I could manage it! I already have a noticeable bump at 13 weeks so I know I’ll be huge!

Thank you

MrsEG Mon 19-Aug-19 10:28:32

Hopeful bump!

ToddlerTwinsAndUnhinged Tue 20-Aug-19 21:41:17

Hiya,
I will just say that being pregnant with twins from the second trimester onwards, was, for me, the most miserable and uncomfortable I've ever been in my entire life. My pregnancy was normal, apart from being anaemic. I got stage 3 haemorrhoids which has to be the worst pain I've ever gone through. I had to have an operation but not til 6 months after they were born. Even with multiple doctor and hospital visits because of the dibilitating pain I was in, all I was ever allowed was paracetamol.
Do you have other children? If not, I would advise you get as much rest as you can.
I worked and drove up til 34 weeks, delivered at 37+3 (cesarean).
I think you'll be able to drive at Christmas but really, you have to do what's right for you. Being pregnant is hard enough, but having 8 limbs moving around inside you, fighting for space 24/7 will really take it out of you. Don't worry about what your family will think, you're just going to want to be as still as possible by that point!
Good luck in your pregnancy, and I really hope you don't have any complications. X

ScrunchyBook Tue 20-Aug-19 22:20:45

Hello! Congratulations on your twins! I finished work at 34 weeks (was still driving to work, 30min commute) and if I remember correctly the most uncomfortable moments started after that. I was induced at 38 weeks, fed up and wanted them out about a week before.
At 32 ish weeks did a long drive (I was in passenger seat not driving) up to York for a family wedding, that was all fine.
But you never know how you'll be feeling.. I'd just say yes plan on being there, but if you can't manage the whole day, just leave early, everyone will understand.

Rejelio Tue 20-Aug-19 22:25:15

I was fine at that stage OP, still working full time, a bit slower but just fat and happy smile

katycb Tue 20-Aug-19 22:29:46

I was off work with complications, couldn't drive and had had 2 premature labour scares! However, from the replies you have had here it does vary for everyone. I'd not plan anything major but I think your plans sound fine as long as you are flexible. We went to a wedding at 32w and it was fine. I didn't last the whole day but did get dressed up, had a manicure and a lovely meal

AgeingDurannie Tue 20-Aug-19 22:32:41

Congratulations...

Of course every pregnancy is different, but at 32 weeks with my twins ( with a toddler already) I moved from one of the UK to the other. We drove up, although I was mostly a passenger and I was absolutely fine. Still driving (shorter distances), taking care of toddler, and pretty much normal life right up to natural birth at 39 weeks.

You may have to take things a bit slowly, and absolutely take advantage of an excuse to take things easy and let everybody else wait on you a bit, but I reckon you should be fine.

MrsEG Wed 21-Aug-19 09:03:55

Thank you all so much - this is so reassuring!! X

TwinMumSuperHero Tue 27-Aug-19 05:25:55

I worked and drove up until 34+2 and then my little fellows were born 35+5. I was pretty OK, slow and steady though, up until about 33 weeks and then 34 + weeks was pretty bad hip pain, not sleeping and difficulty eating due to lack of stomach space. I definitely think you'll be fine at 31 weeks if it's something you want to do and you know you won't have to do anything much (nobody's going to get stroppy you're not in the kitchen doing your fair share) and people won't mind if you leave a bit early if you're struggling

Congratulations though! Twins are amazing smile

Middledistancerunner Wed 28-Aug-19 18:06:50

I was fine up till about 34 weeks when I realised my two year old could stand under my bump and I couldn’t see her. And if we were in the shower she didn’t get wet.
But I was still driving at 36 weeks and certainly able to be a passenger in a car for a few hours without difficulty.
Everyone is different though - good luck x

MrsEG Thu 29-Aug-19 20:43:36

Thank you - this is really reassuring! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »