Talk

Advanced search

Twins measuring BIG!

(33 Posts)
Hobbes39 Mon 05-Aug-19 12:46:26

Just had 32w scan with DCDA twins which are measuring a couple of weeks ahead! while I'm v pleased that they are growing well - as I know that the bigger the better in many ways - I'm now getting a bit scared about how I'm going to keep them in long enough for their lungs and brains to develop as much as possible.. 🤞
Speaking to the consultant they said that the size doesn't mean that they are any more developed that a smaller baby at 32w, but that as I'm not a huge person (5ft5 & about 9st when not pregnant!) that they could well come early. I just want them healthy & happy - they are about 5lbs (one a little less, one a little more) each already! My DS was 8lbs at 41w... so wasn't expecting these guys to be so big! Anyone else had big twins that were early?! Thanks x

Hobbes39 Mon 05-Aug-19 13:26:44

Don't know why this posted 3 times! Apologies...!

neversleepagain Tue 06-Aug-19 20:17:24

Twins grow more quickly than singleton babies until around 30 weeks this is to give them a fighting chance as a huge percentage are born early. This growth slows dramatically after 30 weeks and they don't pack on weight like singleton babies do toward the end. Mine always measured 2 weeks ahead from 22 weeks and were born at 5lb4 and 5lb8 at 34 weeks. That plus 5lb merged placenta meant my body was carrying almost 17lbs and my consultant said he didn't see me going past 35 weeks and he was right.

Scbu is a amazing place and they know just what to do with small early twins. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

boodles101 Fri 09-Aug-19 07:27:43

Similar position here, I'm 35 weeks DCDA twins. I'm a similar height and weight to you (non pregnant) and my son was 8lb2 born at 41 weeks!
Last scan at 32weeks showed both twins around 4.5lbs. I have another scan on Monday so should get a up to date weight.
I really don't understand how they can be so big already though! I don't have a particularly huge bump, everyone who comments says I don't look like I'm carrying twins, so where are these big babies hiding?! My consultant also wants me to go to 38 weeks which I'm absolutely dreading and really unsure I'll make it that far!

Bubblysqueak Fri 09-Aug-19 07:50:39

I only had singletons but both of mine were measuring big from 30 weeks (had to have extra growth scans) they were 5lb 12 and 6lb 4 when born (both predicted over 9lbs) in my case the scans were wrong.

neversleepagain Fri 09-Aug-19 08:11:35

Scans were spot on for me the day before they were born they were measured at 5lb4 and 5lb7. They were 5lb4 and 5lb8.

Hobbes39 Fri 09-Aug-19 08:31:54

Hi @boodles101 ! Good to hear from you smile - you are just a little ahead of me - keep me posted with how you are and how scan goes on Monday!
How are you feeling? I feel huge now and uncomfortable, and I'm really struggling - I'm impressed you've made it to 35 - your babies must be about 6lbs each now 😱
Our consultant has actually been really nice and has booked us in for the first date they'd allow - I'll be 37+2 on the Monday in 4 weeks and booked in for a section!
I think my main worry is that I won't make it that far, as just can't imagine being much bigger!! Most comments I get are the "you are ALL bump" variety and I agree actually - I'm pretty sure I gained more weight elsewhere with our DS, but these massive babies are eating me so all the extra is my bump and the ligaments around my bump are struggling now...
Good luck to you and do keep me updated! X

PurBal Fri 09-Aug-19 08:40:25

My brothers, DCDA, were born at 35w. One was 5lb5 and the other 8lb1. The smaller one had a problem with the placenta. But their now 26 and absolutely fine.

PurBal Fri 09-Aug-19 08:41:30

*they're

doodlejump1980 Fri 09-Aug-19 08:43:49

My DCDA twins, born at 37+6 were 7lbs5 and 6lbs4. I had a 55inch waist the morning I had them 😮

doodlejump1980 Fri 09-Aug-19 08:48:00

Make sure you’re wearing bump support belts as they reduce the chance of tearing thinning skin/muscles. Any twin questions @Hobbes39 or @boodles101 I’m happy to answer! Do you know what you’re having? I had two boys. They’re 4&1/2 now.

Hobbes39 Fri 09-Aug-19 08:51:54

@doodlejump1980 - oof! They were big! I assume they were v healthy too? Tags amazing to have carried all that weight!
I tried a bump support belt, but sadly it didn't agree with me - i might be wearing it wrong but it basically made me feel faint as to get t right enough to actually support something it was cutting off my blood supply too much I think! What kind of support did you use?

boodles101 Fri 09-Aug-19 09:14:24

Hobbes I'm very uncomfortable, hardly sleeping and also have an energetic 2.5yo DS to keep entertained. I'm going to ask my consultant on weds if we can bring the csection forward a week to 37, or at least just a few days.
Wow doodlejump those are good weights, I'm having a boy and a girl, girl is just slightly less but not far behind. I can't even imagine how 2 babies plus placentas all fit in my belly!

doodlejump1980 Fri 09-Aug-19 10:06:58

@Hobbes39 my physio gave me them after I was referred for back pain. They were a godsend! Yup babies were healthy, no scbu, but one needed a sunbed/uv lamp for jaundice for 24hours as he came out a bit yellow. I had an emcs.

Hobbes39 Fri 09-Aug-19 12:12:15

@boodles101 - I'm counting down the days, so I imagine you are the same - it's a balance isn't it ? Wanting them to stay in long enough to be healthy like @doodlejump1980 's babies but feeling utterly drained and wanting them out!
That's brilliant that your babies didn't need any SCBU, must have been so lovely to be able to bring them home relatively quickly!
Boodles - I agree - I have no idea how 2 of everything is in there...! It's madness! I feel like I'm kidding myself, but I do genuinely feel like it will be easier once they are out as I won't feel so utterly weighed down!
I'm struggling to keep up with my DS (5 almost 6) having a 2.5yo must be so hard - do they go to nursery?
I cant wait for school to start again!!

boodles101 Fri 09-Aug-19 12:26:12

Hobbes definitely counting down the days, trying to remain positive and remind myself they grow stronger every day that they are inside, but man it's tough on our bodies! I feel like 37 weeks is a good compromise, 38 weeks just sounds like torture! My DS goes to nursery 2 days a week. This week was my first on mat leave so I literally did nothing while he was at nursery!

Hairwizard Sat 10-Aug-19 11:57:21

Mine were delivered at 34weeks, after going in for suspected early labour. That was a Saturday, i was with my consultant 2 days prior who estimated 5lb1 and 5lb8 on measuring them. Birthweights were 5lb8 and 4lb15. As they knew they would be delivered esrly i was given the steroid jabs, 12 hrs apart. They coukdnt wait 24hrs incase.
Good apgar scores at birth, 9s all the way. In scbu, they were on oxygen for just few hours and cpaps off the following day. Nothing else medically wrong with them so just the feeding tubes kept them in the unit. Once they were off tube feeds for 48hrs we got them home.

boodles101 Fri 16-Aug-19 12:35:38

How are you doing Hobbes39?
My elcs has been scheduled for Monday as twin 1s growth has slowed down. Steroids given and consultant was happy that everyone seems healthy and still great weights despite slowing, so he decided to not wait any longer.

Hobbes39 Fri 16-Aug-19 13:06:00

Hi @boodles101 - wow - that must feel partly a relief, but also anxious time too!
That's good the consultant is happy with their weights and development - you'll be 36w will you? That's pretty good going!
I was actually told that past 34w our hospital don't give the steroid injection as they don't think it's necessary, so hopefully your babies will be totally fine as you are over 35w.
I'm ok, feeling exhausted - slightly concerned that I weighed myself on the day of our last scan, and then weighed myself yesterday and I haven't gained a single pound - I just hope that the babies have and it's just that I am actually losing weight from elsewhere (my DH reckons my arms are thinner! I'm not sure how I feel about that as didn't think they were 'fat' in first place 😆). I think it's partly that I struggle to eat enough as there's no room for food in there! Next midwife appointment is next week, so will ask her about it then, next scan isn't until the 2nd tho..

boodles101 Fri 16-Aug-19 18:12:42

Yes it's definitely made it all seem alot more real now! I'll be 36+3 on Monday. My hospital said they would have given steroids even when it was scheduled at 38 weeks. Funny how things differ so much.
I also didn't gain anything between my last 2 consultant appts so I wouldn't worry too much, babies will be taking what they need.

Hobbes39 Fri 16-Aug-19 18:53:02

@boodles101 - that's reassuring that you didn't gain weight either - was worrying, so thanks for letting me know...
36+3 is a great stage to get to with twins, so I hope it all goes smoothly for you and your babies will be home with you soon - v exciting! Please do keep me posted, would love to hear how you get on! Will be thinking of you on Monday! Xx

Hobbes39 Mon 19-Aug-19 14:50:30

@boodles101 - am thinking of you today - I hope it's all gone well and that you have your babies safely in your arms xx

boodles101 Mon 19-Aug-19 19:36:35

Thanks Hobbes39 both babies here safely and no extra help needed. Girl born at 2.31pm 4lb8 and boy born at 2.33pm 5lb8.

Hobbes39 Mon 19-Aug-19 20:48:15

@boodles101 - that's wonderful news! No extra help? That's brilliant! Thanks so much for updating - I'm so chuffed for you I'm shedding a wee tear of happiness!! 😊
How are you?? Was it all straightforward?
Congratulations - hope you recover from the c-section quickly and can get home soon xx

boodles101 Mon 19-Aug-19 21:43:59

Thankyou, yes all straight forward! Was all done so quick. Both breastfed in the recovery room and again since so fingers crossed we can go home soon! Your turn soon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »