Talk

Advanced search

How was your twin labour if you've had previous fast births?

(8 Posts)
willisurvive3under2 Tue 11-Jun-19 23:41:31

First baby (singleton) took 4 hours from first twinge to birth. Twin induction took 12 hours from pessary. My body reacted to the hormones immediately and probably a bit too fast so they got it out and slowed things down a bit. Textbook twin birth with a 15 min gap, twin 2 was breech but no issues (she was transverse and it was decided to give it a try). I realise this might not be hugely helpful as inductions aren't very representative.

Spanneroo Wed 05-Jun-19 19:39:21

That's interesting rummage. Nice to hear of a more "normal" twin birth. I know it's all still early days for me, but it's really thrown me when I fully expected another straight forward pregnancy and speedy birth at home! Will have to see how the pregnancy progresses and take it as it comes. Very encouraging to hear I might not necessarily have to be strapped to the bed, though (sounds like my idea of hell!)

RummidgeGeneral Wed 05-Jun-19 19:35:06

My twin birth was really fast and similar to first Singleton birth, even though number two was breech. All done in 3 hours. It was surprisingly good. The twin monitor as a bit of a pain but my midwife was supportive of me standing up and moving about. Good luck with it all.

Spanneroo Wed 05-Jun-19 19:31:05

Ahh, that makes sense now that you say it. I was fortunate not to need pain relief with either of mine, but it seems my lovely relaxed home birth for baby number 3 is well and truly a pipe dream now! grin

mumwithovertime Wed 05-Jun-19 19:11:24

My twins are 18 now and shortly off to uni so it’s a while ago , I reckon with the others I coped pretty well with the pain and used a tens machine so even with my first I was 4 cm when I arrived at hospital and I put off getting the midwife here until the last minute !
When I was induced literally nothing had happened before the first pessary and if I remember I had 3 altogether , it was a slow start but then suddenly was very intense ! I did have an epidural but I’m sure it got turned off as I passed out , I know after delivery I was still able to walk to the toilet .

Spanneroo Wed 05-Jun-19 19:01:10

Wow - not surprised you were well done with your twins by 39 weeks!

I've had a previous home birth, too, as DD2 would likely have been born at the side of the road if not.

Interesting to hear your induction took 15 hours. I was worried that, should I be induced, it would be even speedier than my other labours due to the synthetic hormones, but perhaps not.

mumwithovertime Wed 05-Jun-19 18:47:34

Probably not much help but I had 3 singletons all delivered over a week after their due dates , first about 6 hour labour , second less than 1 hour ( once I turned up at the hospital ) and third was a home birth (by choice ) delivered within an hour of the midwife arriving at my house .
With my twins I ended up being induced as having reached 39 weeks plus 3 I was so uncomfortable that I opted for induction even though my consultant was happy for me to continue . From start of induction to delivery of twin 2 was about 15 hours ( with 15 mins between them ) twin 1 was ventouse and twin 2 turned so was breech but no issues and no tearing or stitches .

Spanneroo Tue 04-Jun-19 19:52:40

Recently found out I'm expecting DCDA twins. My previous two births were precipitate labours (2hrs 20 and 1hr 10 - first contraction to baby in arms). I can't seem to find any info online about twin labour experiences after quick singleton births, so I am hoping someone might be able to share their experiences, as I'm quite concerned about being able to get to the hospital in time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »