Talk

Advanced search

Just curious - naming order for identical twins?

(6 Posts)
Haffdonga Sat 01-Jun-19 23:39:26

So you know you're expecting boys and choose the names Alan and Barry but how do you decide which will be Alan and which will be Barry?
Do you wait to see them to decide who looks more Barry? but they look the same
Do you decide based on birth order? (Whoever comes out first will be Alan?)
Or weight? Barry is the big one?

And do you ever worry that you might actually mix them up, so Alan becomes Barry for evermore believing he was the first born and set to inherit the farm?

(Light-hearted obvs but genuinely interested).

MyDcAreMarvel Sat 01-Jun-19 23:40:33

I decided the first one out would be name A and the second one B.

BackforGood Sat 01-Jun-19 23:45:24

To even things out, I'd name the 2nd one (younger one) Alan, and the 1st /older one Barry, so one is the 'older sibling' (and comes first when sorted in age order) but the other gets mentioned first or comes first when things are sorted alphabetically.

Seems unfair for one twin to always be the 'first' twin.

PeachNut Sat 01-Jun-19 23:45:33

I have identical twins. When they were tiny I used to Sharpie pen their initial on the sole of their foot!

BigGlasses Thu 13-Jun-19 22:49:09

I also went with the ‘younger’ twin having the name nearer the start of the alphabet. Stops one always coming first in lists. But then again I also mix up which order they come in when I sign things. Eg birthday cards are sometimes from Alan, Jane, Lucy, Cara and Anna and sometimes Alan, Jane, Lucy, Anna and Cara. But maybe I overthink these thingsgrin

Rememberallball Sun 30-Jun-19 19:03:59

We’ve decided based on positioning and antenatal identification - so, in my case, twin 1 is low and maternal right and twin 2 is higher Andy maternal left. Also helps me that twin 1 is currently significantly larger than twin 2 so should be easier to identify when they do arrive. So T1 would be Alan and T2 would be Barry!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »