Talk

Advanced search

Advice on night feeds 6 month old twins

(4 Posts)
Jenniferb21 Thu 08-Nov-18 23:40:34

Hi everyone smile

Looking for some advice please

My identical twin girls are 6 months old and are still breastfeeding it can be up to 3 times each per night

They tend to sleep from 10pm until 6am with 3-4 5-0 minute feeds each but I’m exhausted. At one point they were only waking once between 10pm and 6am I think it’s more comfort feeding to get back to sleep as they’re teething.

My question is should I wake the other twin up and feed them too or do you think that is too disruptive to their sleeping patterns and might make it worse? I’m just thinking it may give me a longer stretch of sleep. In the daytime I tandem feed so they’ve very used to feeding at the same time. But on the other hand I don’t think they’re feeding from being hungry until it gets to 6am ish.

Thank you xxxx

Seasidetrains Fri 09-Nov-18 00:22:43

I woke mine up to feed at the same time as I found that gave me more of a chance of getting a couple of uninterrupted hours sleep. When I would feed just one alone the other would inevitably wake up 20 Mins later and I’d be up and down all night. It’s totally normal for bf babies to wake a lot but when there’s 2 it’s brutal. I found my DTs sleep improved no end once they were mobile, nightimes are so hard in the first year but it does get easier.

Supertiredmummy Sat 01-Dec-18 23:38:17

I would wake the other. Imagine putting one down for the other wanting comfort?! When would you sleep! X

villainousbroodmare Sun 16-Dec-18 00:55:31

I have 6mo twins who also wake 3 or maybe 4 times. I pull them into bed with me and feed lying down, then pop them back into their cots. This only works if they wake separately and feed separately so I do anything to avoid two babies simultaneously awake at night. I move to feed them at any murmur I hear.

With DS who is now 3, I got DH to night wean around 10mo by providing a soother and shushing. I think we offered water too. I don't know how we will do it this time, as these two have no interest in a soother despite trying many times to introduce one. But I am actually coping reasonably well, so don't feel like I need to change anything just now.

Best of luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »