Talk

Advanced search

Identical twins, would like to try for vaginal birth privately - any experience?

(4 Posts)
605transplant Mon 05-Feb-18 16:16:26

I would love to hear from any other London mums who have had vaginal births privately with identical twins. Apologies for the long post, but I am sharing my details below in case anyone else finds it useful...

I have recently found out I am expecting identical twins. My first singleton pregnancy was very straight forward. I had a fast and uncomplicated vaginal birth.

Having done extensive research myself on the recommendations for identical twin pregnancy, the current guidelines published by both the Royal College of Obstetricians (RCOG) in the UK and by the American College of Obstetricians (ACOG) in the US state that for uncomplicated identical (monochorionic diamoniotic) twin pregnancies, vaginal birth can be attempted as long as the first twin is head down. These recommendations are based on the most comprehensive study on twin births showing no difference in outcomes (for either mother or babies) between planned caesarean and planned vaginal birth for identical twins.

Despite the above, I was surprised to learn that at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, which is nearest to me, the private obstetricians there have concluded that all identical twins should be delivered via planned cesarean section at 36 weeks. I was told this by two different consultants who I met with. Apparently were I opt for NHS care at the same hospital, I would potentially have the chance of a vaginal birth if I really fought for it, but not on the private side.

Having decided I would like to opt for private care (primarily for continuity of care and also because of convenience given I work full time), I am now in search of a consultant who is experienced with twins and would support my choice to try for a vaginal birth, assuming the pregnancy is uncomplicated (fingers crossed). I am considering private at Queen Charlotte’s or the Lindo Wing at St Mary’s as those are the next two closest hospitals to me and I would hate to travel more than 20 minutes.

Of course I am fully aware that complications arise frequently in MCDA pregnancies and therefore I may eventually not have the option of a vaginal birth. I am keeping my mind open to a c-section, but I want to give myself the option of a vaginal birth should I be lucky to have no complications.

If anyone has had a similar experience, I would love to hear from you.

Worried67202 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:43:36

Sorry, got absolutely no experience of private care. I am pregnant with MCDA twins though and under Nhs care, i’ll be having scans and consultations with the same consultant every 2 weeks until delivery. Delivery type is completely my choice unless any complications dictate, I was told that I could definitely have either c-section or vaginal delivery depending on what I wanted. Maybe you’d have more luck going NHS but maybe with a private doula/midwife for support?

605transplant Thu 08-Feb-18 11:53:21

Hi Worried67202 - thank you so much for your message. I am considering going NHS now after being told by some consultants they simply wouldn’t take on MCDA twins privately. Do you mind sharing what hospital you have gone with? Or perhaps you are outside London?

moggle Sat 10-Feb-18 19:16:15

I know St Peters in Chertsey will allow MCDA mums the choice if no other complicating factors. Not sure if that is the right side of London for you so probably of no use! Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now