Talk

Advanced search

Twins nap routine

(5 Posts)
Bambi1980 Thu 14-Dec-17 07:32:30

Hi, I have 10 week old twin girls who do not like sleeping for longer than 10/20 mins during the day. We have no set routine of times etc. I just feed on demand and they seem to want feeding sometimes every 1-2 hours. They are bottle fed and have about 5oz but don’t always finish. We then have a pattern of catnapping all day. They will fall asleep either being rocked in a bouncer or pram or after being fed then will sleep for about 20 mins if that then wake up and the process repeats, it’s exhausting! At night we take them up with DS who is 3. They have a bath every other night and then from 7 onwards it’s bottle and try to settle to sleep together in the spare room. Usually this takes a few hours of waking, more feeding, back to sleep then waking etc. They fall asleep anytime between 9-11 then either wake once for feed or sleep until 6ish and the day starts again. We have them separated at night, I have one and my OH has one.
Has anyone any tips for getting them to sleep more in the day and for longer? I wondered if I should try taking them up to bed where they sleep at night for their daytime naps, but should I close the curtains to mimic nighttime. Would this confuse them? Any advice is welcomed. Thank you.

KatnissK Thu 14-Dec-17 07:39:51

Hi OP, I don't have twins but I do have a cat napper! He would also only sleep for about 20 mins throughout the day. He's now 6 months old and much better. I did start putting him down for his naps in the bedroom and it really has made a difference. He was definitely being disturbed when napping downstairs even when I tried to be quiet. He will now nap 1.5 hours in the morning and 1.5-2 hours in the early afternoon. He does usually cat nap after that - maybe 45 mins at about 4 and that sees him through until bed. I was worried about confusing him but I don't do his bedtime routine during the day and so far he seems fine. The only thing is he now only wants to nap at home so it can be restrictive when we go out but he is generally being fussy with everything at the moment so hopefully that will pass! Good luck and congratulations on your babies!

Waterdropsdown Thu 14-Dec-17 09:07:14

Have you tried them napping in the pram? Not necessarily going out but either pushing it round a room or rocking it back and forth?
I was super keen to get my twins in a routine and started about 12 weeks I think. For me it was the best thing I’ve done, but know a lot of people thought I was a weirdo for doing so!

Bambi1980 Thu 14-Dec-17 11:14:24

KatnissK - did you keep it dark when yours went upstairs? I don’t want to ruin their nighttime sleep

KatnissK Thu 14-Dec-17 11:46:00

I do draw the curtains yes but we don't have black out blinds so it is still lighter than night time. I have found that longer naps have meant better night time sleep too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now