Talk

Advanced search

Iron tablets

(7 Posts)
Lime19 Wed 29-Nov-17 22:41:02

I'm 20 weeks with di di twins. Always been a touch anemic and due to the high risks of twin pregnancy I'm on 2 x 200mg ferrous sulfate tabs a day.

Trouble is I didn't read the instructions properly and have been taking 1 per day. I feel awful on that dose alone! It's causing real tummy issues (blackish poop, trapped wind, general uncomfy feeling)

Do I have to stay on these all the way through? Am I stupid taking a half dose only? I can't bare thought of taking twice as much.

I'm not actually anemic this seems to just be preventative. Any tips to survive these awful tablets!

Thanks

Waterdropsdown Fri 01-Dec-17 14:26:07

They are awful!
Some people use the liquid version (available in places such as Holland and Barrett) as its easier on the body. No other suggestions for you.
I didn’t take the full recommended dose for similar reasons but just made sure to have full blood counts done at each doctors appointment to monitor levels. Was always fine (I was instructed to take 3! Tablet a day, think I took 1).

Taytotots Wed 06-Dec-17 02:43:42

Different iron tablets react differently. My gynaecologist recommended ferramax which is a bit easier on the stomach (not sure that one available in UK but there will be others). Also he recommended taking a laxative with them to prevent constipation (check with your gp/midwife obviously). There is also floradix liquid which might be a bit easier (though not so good if you are very anaemic).

Bambi1980 Thu 14-Dec-17 07:04:15

I was put on this dose too at 12 weeks as a preventative measure was ferrous fumerate. It made my stools black but didn’t seem to have any other side effects. Later in pregnancy a different midwife told me I didn’t need to be on that dose and so was slashed to one pill a day. I don’t think you need to worry unless your getting anaemic.

OrdinaryGirl Sun 31-Dec-17 07:59:58

Floradix is your friend! I took Floradix twice a day, every day, on top of the Garden of Life prenatal vitamins and had no problems with iron deficiency at all. (I did check it was ok to take both) Both are very gentle on the digestion.

My DCDA boys were robustly healthy, born by planned C section at 37+5 and were 6 lbs 3 and 7 lbs 12. I do put some of their hardiness down to staying on top of the iron thing. Twins absolutely hoover the iron out of you.
Here are links - obviously you can but Floradix at boots etc but I think amazon is cheapest.

All the best with your twins. 💐
Floradix Iron Vitamin Formula Liquid, 500 ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000Z971W6/ref=cmswwrcpp_apiKzjsAbEYQAQXCC
_
Garden of Life - Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal - 90 - VegCap_ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0032EZOAM/ref=cmm_swrr_cpapii_yIjsAb1M73JBN

outnumbered77 Sun 31-Dec-17 08:02:10

I'm not pregnant but am on ferrous gluconate as I can't stomach ferrous sulphate. Maybe ask the doctor if you can try an alternative? All the best.

Iwantawhippet Sun 31-Dec-17 08:06:40

Spatone is very gentle. I took two sachets a day when I was expecting twins. No digestion problems.

www.boots.com/spatone-natural-iron-supplement-28-one-a-day-sachets-560ml-10016042

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now