Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to expect when bringing triplets home (born at 31 weeks)

(19 Posts)
Bibi310 Tue 14-Nov-17 02:13:25

My triplets(2boys and a girl)were born at 31 weeks weighing 3.2lbs 2.6lbs and 2lbs.they are 11days old today.they lost abit of weight first n now are nearly same as their birth weight again.they were all off their oxygen n lines in few days and are doing very good.currently they are fed through a tube which goes from their nose to stomach.doctors say they will try to feed them through their mouth in a week time and once they start putting on weight and feeding properly they will be ready to go home this may take another 3 to 4weeks.i am already really scared to take them home away from hospital security i am staying in hospital with then in family room i know they have to come home eventually but they so small and i cant stop thinking how i am going to cope how i will know they ok what if they get infections and stuff what if anything wrong with them and i dont pick it this all making me so scared my friends twins were sent home and they got really ill had infection and had to go back in hospital i am sorry its very long but i would really appriciate if someone with a preemie could share their experience and give some advice
Thank u xx

UnbornMortificado Tue 14-Nov-17 02:21:31

No multiple experience but I brought DS home a few month ago. He was a 28 weeker and spent 80 days in hospital. He came home on oxygen but we've started weaning him this week.

The infection panic is normal, the fact it's flu season isn't helping. Neonatal staff know what they are doing I'm sure they will keep your babies in as long as is needed.

If you have FB there's a couple of prem support groups you might find helpful.

Congratulations flowers

Bibi310 Tue 14-Nov-17 02:56:14

Thank u i will look at fb.congratulations to u too hope your little one is doing good i cant stop worrying😢

UnbornMortificado Tue 14-Nov-17 09:25:59

The UK one is "Parents of Preemies support U.K" there is chance to be some members who have dealt with multiples.

For what it's worth it sounds like they are doing amazing for that gestation. I've took two prems home (separately) the first winter with DD (30 weeks) we did have a couple of chest problems but nothing serious and nothing requiring overnight stays. DS got discharged September and hasn't been ill once (touch wood)

We did and do have a lot of extra appointments and had to do things like physio with her at home. It might be worth looking into DLA sometimes all the extra monitoring/care needs does mean they are entitled to it.

You just cope, it's not easy with one and I can't imagine three but it's just one day at a time and one foot in front of the other.

dantdmistedious Tue 14-Nov-17 18:07:02

Dts were 31 weekend born at 3lb1 and 3lb3. One was on cpap for 48 hours the other was breathing on her own straight away.

We were in NICU a week and Scbu for a further 40 days.

The biggest problem we had was getting them big enough - they wanted them to be finishing their feeds and 4lb.

They were on nutriprem for extra calories but had to be supplemented with a tube for quite a while.

Taking them home was terrifying!

They are 6 now and you would never ever know.

Have you got a twin / multiple club near you? I’d really recommend getting in touch to meet any local triplet mums.

Congratulations!

dantdmistedious Tue 14-Nov-17 18:09:34

I’ve just remembered - I didn’t take them to anywhere busy for a long time. People will stick their heads in the pram and try and touch them. It was bad enough with twins and probably worse with triplets. When I did get brave enough I used to keep the rain covers on the buggy to keep the germs off.

Anyone who came into the house had to sanitise their hands before touching them and they weren’t allowed in if they had any signs of a cold. Mine suffered a lot with chest infections and croup for a good few years.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem1 Tue 14-Nov-17 18:17:45

We were allowed to take DTDs (4lbs 15 and 3lbs 7) home with feeding tubes - though they both ripped them out within days of arriving home! I remember it was hard and the lack of sleep, and being in awe of triplets and more parents ( not very helpful I know... blush )

UnbornMortificado Tue 14-Nov-17 18:43:46

Yes to the touching.

We have this my mam got me (off Amazon I think) people don't mean any deliberate harm they just don't think.

Bibi310 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:46:40

Unbornmortificado
good to hear ur little man is going strong❤i will definately look fr tht group and the sign idea is really good im going to have one aswelsmile
Thank u

Bibi310 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:53:56

Dantdmistedious
Thank u i knw time will fly i had a very hard pregnancy but already forgetting about it lol mine hvnt put any weight on yet but soon hopefully
I dnt knw about any local multiple clubs but will ask midwife/health visitor thy might knw☺

Bibi310 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:03:22

Degustibus****************
Aww i knw it must b very hard but luckily i hv sum help so i shud b fine😎i think lol only time will tell

Taytotots Fri 17-Nov-17 08:29:00

Congratulations on your triplets! I had preemie twins (34 weeks so not so tiny, in SCBU for 10 days). Our hospital did a handover period where they got you to stay in a room on the ward and look after them but with support if needed. I don't know if yours offers something like that? They were also happy for you to phone them directly if you had any health concerns when out of hospital. Good you have some help when you are home. That sign is a great idea too as people seem fascinated by multiples - the touching by random strangers was bad enough with twins and sure it would be worse with triplets. Good luck!

UnbornMortificado Fri 17-Nov-17 17:53:28

Hope they are all doing well.

I'm in awe of all the multiple mams, I feel like I need three pairs of hands with one. Seriously you all deserve an award or something.

Bibi310 Fri 17-Nov-17 18:33:37

Hi taytotos
Thank u hope ur twins r well n yes our hospital does the handover aswel b4 u take the babies home.the nicu doing a great job they wonderful i get all the help here 😊

Bibi310 Fri 17-Nov-17 18:35:44

Unbornmortificado
Yes thy doing great thank u.i think u just get used to everything lol i found everything so hard with my first son n now im ok i dnt get much sleep but still im nt tht bad

Taytotots Sun 19-Nov-17 08:18:53

Glad your NICU are great. My twins are big five year olds now (how did that happen so quickly!). Hardly been ill at all since they got out.

Alicekeach Sun 19-Nov-17 08:25:06

I had preemie twins. When we came home the hospital sent a NICU nurse to visit us every few days, which was very reassuring. She was far more use than our health visitor! It would be worth checking with your hospital what their post discharge arrangements are.

My twins have been poorly with infections and ended back in hospital a few times. It is common with preemies, sadly. All you can do is make everybody wash their hands, avoid crowded places in the early days and tell inquisitive strangers to keep their hands off your babies!

Bibi310 Sun 19-Nov-17 22:58:15

Taytotos
Wowww five years old well done you💪👌❤

Bibi310 Sun 19-Nov-17 23:02:24

Alicekeach
Hope twins doing good❤ Hw old r ur twins nw?thnk u i will definately check with hospital bout the nurse visiting home i think thts really good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now