Talk

Advanced search

Arabin pessary

(4 Posts)
thecookies Mon 14-Aug-17 19:09:10

Hi,
Looking for a bit of advice and to find out if anyone has been through something similar for first hand testimony...
We have been offered the opportunity to take part in a clinical trial to reduce premie births by inserting an arabin pessary to try and slow things down a little. Apparently they have really high success rates in single births, we've done a lot of research online and although there's no clear evidence that it works with twins, the Dutch did a study where one of the findings was that it worked for women with short cervixes and twins.
Before we get accepted on the trial they will have to measure cervix to make sure we hit criteria and even then we might wind up in the control group.
Has anyone been involved in the trial? It's been running since 2014 apparently. Or does anyone have any experience of this type of pessary they could share with us?

chocolateshortcake Sun 20-Aug-17 10:43:05

I have been asked to participate in this as well but I haven't given an answer yet - my scan is tomorrow so I need to decide! Not helpful sorry. Are you going ahead with it? I am quite interested to know what my body is going to do without any "help" but also don't want to say no to something that could prevent a premature delivery. Argh decisions!!

MamaDeeGee Fri 06-Oct-17 20:57:25

I participated in the Stoppit 2 programme but drew routine care when randomised so didnt end up with the pessary

thecookies Sun 08-Oct-17 19:16:15

Thanks for your replies. I ended up being an active participant in the trial, but it was just too uncomfortable and had it taken out a few days after.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: