Talk

Advanced search

Support for parents of older twins

(11 Posts)
Didiplanthis Mon 29-May-17 19:59:53

Does anyone know if there are any forums which have any boards for twins past infancy ? The TAMBA message board is incredibly quiet and no one really posts on it. This one seems mostly for expecting or baby twins. Mine are 5 and lovely but still challenge me daily and in ways only those who live with twins could really get !

bellabelly Mon 05-Jun-17 00:13:02

Good question! I don't have any answers (except that the multiples topic on here seems to cover a whole range of ages) but will watch this thread with interest. I have 2 sets of twins - aged 9 and 6 - and life feels very hard sometimes. I wish I was giving them all the individual attention they need. sad But, mostly, life is good...

RandomUsernameHere Thu 08-Jun-17 22:17:28

Do you have a local twins club? Our local one has quite an active Facebook group where people are often posting questions and answers and stuff for sale etc.

Lostinaseaofbubbles Thu 08-Jun-17 22:18:32

I'm on cambridge twins triplets and more, but they allow people from all over as it's one of the busier twin pages on FB

Lostinaseaofbubbles Thu 08-Jun-17 22:19:30

Bellabelly - wow! Two sets. I take my hat off to you.

RandomUsernameHere Thu 08-Jun-17 22:37:05

Ditto! Must be so lovely to have two sets but also incredibly hard work I can imagine.

Didiplanthis Fri 09-Jun-17 22:38:21

Thanks for replying. Our 'local' twins group is 25 miles away meets on my work days and doesn't really have an active on line presence. I kind of feel I'm making a bit of a hash of things at the moment as my boys have started school and the whole friendship thing is proving tricky at times especially play dates - lots of acting up and silliness to compete for 'friends' attention. I cant get another one in my car to even it out and I have a slightly older dd too. I'm not doing great with 1:1 time either as OH works v long hours and I have no family help at all. I'm sure it will work out but not quite sure how right now !

bellabelly Sat 10-Jun-17 00:34:10

Didiplanthis - If yours are only 5, it might be worth considering a multimac carseat? They convert your back seat into a 3 or 4 seater. Would solve the play date issue? They are expensive but we sold ours on recently (on ebay) for not very much less than we paid for it. You'd get a good 4 or 5 years out of it, if your dts aren't super big for their age!

When my boys were a bit younger, they always "competed" for the attention of whichever mutual friend we'd invited over. Now they are coming up to 10 years old, it happens much less.

Lost and Random - thanks! It certainly has its lovely moments too but on the very few occasions I have them separately (say, if one is off school) I do think how much more attention I'd be able to give them if they hadn't come as part of a pair! Mummy guilt - it's a terrible thing...

bellabelly Sat 10-Jun-17 00:35:42

Link to multimac here - am not on commission, honest!

HamNJam Sat 10-Jun-17 10:38:05

I discovered the Twinsclub.co.uk forums when I was first pregnant with my twins. It's been super helpful and good to keep up with how other parents of multiples cope.

They seem a friendly bunch with kids of a range of ages. You have to register in order to view and post though.

AlpacaLypse Sat 10-Jun-17 10:58:34

Mine are 18 now and in the throes of A levels!

I used to ask other children over in pairs or even bigger groups to reduce the feeling of being overwhelmed. It helped that there was another set of girls in their year, who were (and still are) on the same wavelength as my daughters.

Other parents were very understanding of transport problems.

If I had had any more than two children I would probably have splurged on a seven seater car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now