Talk

Advanced search

Premature birth twins ICU

(8 Posts)
user1492691073 Thu 20-Apr-17 13:49:34

Hi

I'm currently 27+4 weeks pregnant with DCDA twins . Twin B is is measuring small at -36% growth for her gestation due to issues with blood flow which was discovered at a Dopplers scan. They told us this morning they are looking at having to deliver in a matter of weeks but will be scanned twice a week to monitor . I just wanted to know if anyone had a similar situation? We are preparing for a lengthy ICU stay - is there any advice on how to prepare for this and what we should pack? Hoping to hang in there as long as we can. Thanks.

2014newme Thu 20-Apr-17 13:51:48

Hi I had twins in nicu.
They supplied all clothes and bedding and milk we just needed nappies.
It's hard when you get discharged and they are still I'm hospital but you can visit when you want.
Good 🍀 luck

user1492691073 Thu 20-Apr-17 13:54:29

Thank you smile no idea what to expect so that helps x

Iheartpedro Fri 21-Apr-17 20:22:47

Ask if you can visit the NICU unit prior to birth, shouldn't be a problem, I planned on doing this but my twins arrived suddenly six weeks early, all the best!

Ps we had to provide clothes and nappies but they do keep supplies.

user1492691073 Fri 21-Apr-17 22:16:04

Thank you - I will ask at my next appointment about arranging a visit. I have bought some prem clothes and nappies so will keep stocking up. Thanks for your help x

2014newme Fri 21-Apr-17 23:40:46

At our hospital you couldn't visit the nicu as due to infection control they minimise visitors but you could do an online virtual tour. However during labour I was transferred to a different hospital but ambulance for my c section as there were insufficient nicu beds at the hospital. So be aware you could end up somewhere else but be forceful if they suggest splitting the babies between different hospitals, they aren't supposed to do that. I was happy to be on hospital on the same city, my friend ended up hours away wad only place with two nicu beds.

2014newme Fri 21-Apr-17 23:42:11

Basically be flexible and open minded! Where you give birth may not necessarily same hospital as where you go when labour starts, nicu bed availability big factor!

user1492691073 Sat 29-Apr-17 22:15:16

Thanks for your advice smile I've made it to 29 weeks so hoping to keep going for another few Weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now