Talk

Advanced search

12 month old twins who won't be put down

(4 Posts)
Heloise1982 Sun 19-Feb-17 09:31:25

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to handle twins who are going through what I can only assume is some kind of separation anxiety?

They were fine until about a month ago, got an absolutely horrid tummy bug, and now they're like different babies (don't know if that's just a coincidence or if the two are connected.) If I put them down they cry like I'm sticking pins in them - full on howling, red in the face, snotty tears, head flinging, how dare you do this to me, heart is breaking type crying. One of them even starts crying if he so much clocks me moving towards the floor / jumperoo / playpen / anywhere I might conceivably put him down (tho weirdly they're ok in the high chair - presumably because they like eating - and cot at sleep times.)

The trouble is, it's not possible to hold both of them all the time, so there's always someone howling! Plus, I have a toddler to look after (and that's before I get onto the laundry, cooking etc - pretty much impossible when they're like this.)

So 1. Does anyone have any words of wisdom to how to get through the day with horribly clingy twins and a toddler? And 2. Could someone please reassure me that this is some kind of phase that will pass quickly!! Oh and 3. Is it possible it's some sort of after effect of the tummy bug, or I am right that it's some sort of developmental separation thing?

Losing my mind a bit over here...

Endlesslllove Sun 19-Feb-17 09:35:41

That sounds so tough! Do you have a baby carrier you could use (or borrow) to have one of them on your back for a bit?

RubySlippers77 Sun 19-Feb-17 23:47:35

Oh Heloise, you do have a tough time of it!!

I don't know how big your twins are but would a sling for one of them be an option? Still not ideal but would leave you with hands free for coping with everything else?

My guess is that it's an after effect of them being poorly as mine are both clingy after being ill, hopefully it will wear off soon, but in the meantime sending you flowers (oh and wine as you probably need it by now!!)

Are there any playgroups/ classes you could take them to for a distraction? Once they see new and exciting toys (for example) it might take their minds off wanting to cling on to Mummy all the time?

And my heart goes out to you for the rest of the never bloody ending household tasks that are piling up sad - is there any way you could have someone in to help you, paid or unpaid, just to get the bulk of the chores cleared for now?

klarka11 Mon 15-May-17 22:12:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now