Talk

Advanced search

Are Fraternal twins usually close as siblings?

(10 Posts)
user123691 Wed 15-Feb-17 12:35:53

I'm only child but have heard lots of stories about how people aren't close to or even hate their siblings. Including my mother ( one of eight).

I'm aware that identical twins have a very strong bond.

Just wondering if it's the same for fraternal twins or could they go either way?

neversleepagain Wed 15-Feb-17 21:48:14

I can only answer for my fraternal girls. They are 4.5 and very close. With twins, regardless of zygosity, it's spending each and every single part of your young life together that forms the bond, not necessarily your DNA. My girls have been together from conception and don't know life as a singleton. They are used to having the other beside them every single day. They hold hands going into pre school and I notice that of one if of feeling insecure she will automatically hold her sisters hand for reassurance. Watching their bond has been the best part of motherhood for me so far.

Kmxxx14 Wed 15-Feb-17 21:50:44

I know fraternal twins and unfortunately they aren't close. They're complete opposites so I think that's a factor.

Jasharps Wed 15-Feb-17 21:53:58

Mine are only 18 months old but my boy/girl twins are incredibly close. I have 2 older singletons and actually all 4 of mine are close.

Twins bond in a completely different way, they're connection is much deeper than other relationships

TheAntiBoop Wed 15-Feb-17 21:56:52

It depends - I know two sets who didn't get along very well and now as adults aren't very close

Other set have always been close

I know siblings who are as close as those twins as well as those who hate each others guts!! I guess it all comes down to personality!

LucyFuckingPevensie Wed 15-Feb-17 22:08:03

I know identical twins who hate each other, they are adults though.There are identical twins in my Dts. Year at school, they're the same as other siblings really. I don't think just because they're identical that they're going to be really close. I wonder how much of the inseparable bond that some twins are supposed to have is nurture rather than nature as some parents of twins can be a bit bonkers about the whole twin thing.
My 2 are fraternal, I suppose they're close in an old married couple sort of way. They know each other inside out and have that close, secure kind of relationship that you have in a family anyway, but they're not dependent on each other.

PinkCrystal Wed 15-Feb-17 22:08:50

Mine are 14 and very close. They def have that twin bond.

ScarlettFreestone Thu 16-Feb-17 06:40:18

My boy/girl twins are very close at 9yo. They appear to fight considerably less than other siblings we know.

They are very different in personality but really adore each other. They have great fun together.

They talk about everything together and look after each other.

Long may it continue.

emochild Thu 16-Feb-17 07:12:30

I'm a twin

Growing up I fought less with my twin brother than with my older sister but as adults I'm definitely closer to my sister

I probably only see my twin 2 or 3 times a year and don't talk to him much more frequently

There has never been a fall out, it's not that we don't get on -we are just very different people living very different lives

BigSandyBalls2015 Thu 16-Feb-17 07:18:26

My twin girls are nearly 16 and very close, despite being chalk and cheese. We extended our house to give them their own bedrooms but they're back sharing again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now