Talk

Advanced search

When does it start getting easier?

(24 Posts)
BillSykesDog Mon 06-Feb-17 13:30:14

My DTs are six months. They were almost exactly a month early so five corrected. They're on solids and putting weight on well. One is turning on to his tummy but can't crawl yet. Neither can sit up. They seem to have been teething about two months with no teeth through yet.

They're not able to entertain themselves yet, but are out of that newborn stage of sleeping a lot and not needing entertainment so I'm doing a lot of singing and toy waving and it all feels very intense 24 hours a day. I keep thinking I'm just about to get to the light at the end of the tunnel where we're out of the new baby stage and it starts getting easier but it's just not coming.

Please tell me that it does get easier and when it happened for you?

Artandco Mon 06-Feb-17 13:32:44

I would try and leave them to entertain themselves a bit now. You can't entertain them 24/7 forever. If they are content on the floor playing together. Do something for yourself 30mins and leave them to work stuff out alone or together.

DearMrDilkington Mon 06-Feb-17 13:34:45

You need a bubble machine! Babies love bubbles, they'll lay on the carpet staring at the bubbles for ages.grin

Babies become fun around the crawling and walking stage, then the mum every 2 seconds begins which will slowly drive you insane...

mouldycheesefan Mon 06-Feb-17 13:35:23

I had a trainee nursery nurse from local college two days a week from when mine were 5 months it made a big difference and was no cost to me. Call,up your local college that does childcare and ask for the placement officer. I also had a teenager that came three days a week after school for two hours to help, she didn't charge much and it was worth it.
Get some help!

My DTs have just this week turned 7 months and I am in the exact same situation. They are only sitting up independently for a few seconds without toppling over, and they both roll over but then end up getting annoyed as they are unable to roll back the other way.
I find getting out and about where possible helps, but I am hoping also that things will get easier when they can sit up and entertain themselves for longer periods of time. smile

BillSykesDog Mon 06-Feb-17 13:58:57

Thanks so much! Got a home start volunteer coming tomorrow and have a college very local so will try them.

Need, you don't know how reassuring it is just to hear someone else feels the same. Thank you.

ScarlettFreestone Mon 06-Feb-17 14:02:13

I found that it got a little bit easier every six months. So 1yo was easier than 6 months and 18 months was easier than 1 yo.

We only really started to feel "normal" again when they turned 2yo.

OTOH they didn't sleep well. Other friends who twins slept through felt better much sooner.

I will say that by the time they are about 3yo we found it mostly great fun and easier than all my friends who had a 3 yo and a 1 yo.

Mine are 9yo now and lovely.

TwinsPlusAnotherTwo Tue 07-Feb-17 06:16:36

I found 6 months was a bit better (more sleep for me!) but about 10 months was when their routine made it easier to go to baby groups, and that made for easier entertainment. Also had a volunteer once a week at that point for a few months. Hang in there!

Monkeymarbles Tue 07-Feb-17 06:25:06

Oh the bit before they could sit... brutal. I honestly remember how hard it was, they needed constant entertaining and would just scream unless someone was with them. With mine once they could sit they instantly became much happier (until learning to crawl!).
Bubble machine sounds good. Or I propped mine up on my old maternity cushion and gave them toys. Long walks in the pram. Be kind to yourself. It's really really hard.
Mine are nearly 2 now. In general it's so much easier.

Middleoftheroad Tue 07-Feb-17 06:35:42

It does get easier. Hang on in there. I went back to work 2/3 days pwk when mine were 9 months and I think this helped us and gave me a 'break'. Is that an option OP? if not make sure you get a break to help.

Mine are 10 now and great friends.

RubySlippers77 Tue 07-Feb-17 08:56:46

Are you in any sort of routine yet OP? Regular naps together morning and afternoon? Mine are 16mo and will only nap if I take them out in the pram or car, but that's doable - I find the day so much easier if I get even 2 20 minute breaks from them.

Completely agree that sleeping through would help, mine still don't, health visitor thinks it's because they're big for their age….. they still want milk in the night regardless of how much they eat in the day. On the rare occasion one sleeps through, the other doesn't :-( I'd also say that having a supportive partner helps a great deal; mine hasn't been particularly (but getting better, to be fair) and I found that really hard when the other NCT mums were saying how great their partners were with their (single) babies - looking after babies through the night so the mums could sleep, doing evening feeds, taking babies for walks to give mums a break, etc. My OH has done none of these!

I found the stage you're at very difficult too, they want attention all the time but you can't distract them for long with toys! Are there any children's centres near you? Mine were really helpful, they often have extra staff at groups who will take a baby off your hands, which was great in the pre-sitting/ crawling days.

It sounds awful to wish this time away, but mine are still so labour-intensive that it feels like 90% hard work to 10% fun (and not even that sometimes!!) - I'm glad to hear things get better though!

yoyobananas3 Tue 07-Feb-17 12:05:53

Hang on in there it definitely gets easier, we'll different as opposed to easier. Mine are 19 months old now and we'll able to self entertain and amuse each other for a considerable amount of time. The first year or so I found hideous to be honest. X

neversleepagain Tue 07-Feb-17 17:44:42

From about 12 months there is a big difference. However, it doesn't get easier, the hard parts just change. For me, feeding two newborn every 3 hours was the worst but it hasn't been easy since then, just different. I personally found 2.8-4 years really hard work, two 3 years olds just isnt fun. Mine are 4.5 now and it is much easier now that they can provide some of their own self care like feeding themselves with out messing everywhere and toilet independently but omg they fight and bicker constantly.

fabulous01 Tue 07-Feb-17 17:53:22

Mine are 22 months. It has been a daze but so much fun.
I recommend lots of groups and get a routine. Houseork doesn't matter as much and it does get easier in some ways.
But enjoy it as much as you can. I don't have family nearby so no help hence I found getting out and to groups a godsend. My local children's centres excellent.
Enjoy though. They will grow and each stage has its challenges but it has flown

staghunter Tue 07-Feb-17 18:00:25

To be honest it is really really really hard (but in changing ways) until 3 when it does get slightly easier.

heateallthebuns Tue 07-Feb-17 18:05:56

It gets a little easier all the time. I had Ds no 3 when dt were 22 months. Got an au pair then!!! Got much easier and by the time he was one I felt ready to either go back to work or have no au pair. From when they can walk two can be easier than one as they play together and occupy each other.

RubySlippers77 Tue 07-Feb-17 21:07:27

Mine are bickerers too, I think because they have such different personalities... it would really help them (and me!) to have a day or so at nursery every week but we can't justify the cost as I'm not working. Might be an option for you OP though? I have a few friends that do this to enjoy some child-free time.

Forget what I said about OH getting better though, he's just sulked off to the pub!! DTS2 is going through a real clingy phase and only wants his mummy. Luckily DTS1 isn't as bad but OH can't cope on his own confused

DorothyHarris Mon 27-Feb-17 18:00:27

Mine are 11m so not too far ahead of you but they feel so much easier. I bought a foldable play pen and filled it with balls and let them play on their together it saved my sanity!

DorothyHarris Mon 27-Feb-17 18:00:37

Mine are 11m so not too far ahead of you but they feel so much easier. I bought a foldable play pen and filled it with balls and let them play on their together it saved my sanity!

DorothyHarris Mon 27-Feb-17 18:01:06

*in there together

MummySara Tue 07-Mar-17 04:13:43

What pushchaor did you lsdies have that you thought was amazing?

neversleepagain Tue 07-Mar-17 07:44:06

Out and About Nipper

MummySara Tue 07-Mar-17 11:07:27

I read a few other threads and the consensus was out and about nipper, Mountain Duet, and the Jogger citi........I am sold on the 11kg weight!
Thank god for Mumsnet and the advice given on here.

klarka11 Mon 15-May-17 22:16:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now