Talk

Advanced search

Different birthdays... WWYD

(14 Posts)
YouAndMePlus3 Tue 10-Jan-17 14:05:49

As the title says...my soon to be 2 year old twins have different birthdays. Last year we celebrated on their respective and correct birthdays but Day 2 felt very 'deja vu' So what would you do? Continue celebrating separately to preserve their individuality or celebrate both on the same day forevermore?
Interested to know :-)

MollyHuaCha Tue 10-Jan-17 14:07:41

Unusual! I'd poss celebrate their birthdays together, alternating the day each year? I also read about twins born in different years, one in 2016 and one in 2017.

strawberrypenguin Tue 10-Jan-17 14:08:54

I have no twin experience but I think I'd do separate days until they can choose. It's what I'd do for other siblings if they had birthdays close together. Besides which day do you choose twin 1's or twin 2's?

YouAndMePlus3 Tue 10-Jan-17 14:20:00

I am not sure what to choose.. IF we were to celebrate on one day I would have thought we would choose twin two who was born minutes in to the new day rather than the twin that was born The day before... because then they are both legally that age by the second day (if that makes sense?!)

But... we're cheating twin one out of their actual birthday and if/when they knew this they might be cross/annoyed. In the beginning it was a great talking point and a novelty but I'm wondering if it would have been easier to wait and held off the pushing until they both fell in the same day .. ha! X

TheTantrumCometh Tue 10-Jan-17 14:24:53

I would keep it separate until they are old enough to express an opinion on it. Maybe plan a couple of things to do that are different and do one on each day. Like soft play and the parks etc

caperboo Tue 10-Jan-17 14:31:04

I would keep it as two separate days as children you can just try to make it's slightly different , plan to different types of celebration , but def as they get older they will decided for them self , it surely would be nicer though to have separate birthdays if at all possible

Tangoandcreditcards Tue 10-Jan-17 14:37:46

Growing up I knew twins who had different birthdays.

They used to have a joint party (at least in primary school when I knew them) but they'd open their presents individually on the morning of their own birthday.

ReallyNotMyProblem Tue 10-Jan-17 14:43:07

I'd keep it separate. Although I have siblings (non-twins) who have the same birthday and they love sharing

BrieAndChilli Tue 10-Jan-17 14:49:10

I would just make it a 2 day celebration
I.e. If it falls fri/sat have the party in the sat, if it falls sun/mon have the party on the Sunday etc
Then on the other day have a family meal or day out or special breakfast etc
Each twin could open thier presents and choose the food for the day on thier actual birthday and when they get old and want separate parties can then each have thier own party.

Or you could celebrate from noon on the first day until noon on the second?!?

PleaseNotTrump Tue 10-Jan-17 15:05:17

It'll be easier once they are older and different personalities, with different presents etc. I'd definitely celebrate each separately and differently.

YouAndMePlus3 Tue 10-Jan-17 20:02:20

Thank you all, I think perhaps we will keep the basics separate but combine the two days as someone above had mentioned x

IslaLettuce Tue 10-Jan-17 20:06:34

What struck me reading this thread was that the one twin will always have to wait a day to open presents and celebrate birthday. That makes me think it should be joint. Maybe have a 2 day celebration with 1st day cake and party and second day present and activity? So they get to experience it at the same time.

CheerfulMuddler Thu 16-Mar-17 11:15:51

Yeah ... Imagine how frustrating to be the twin whose sibling gets a new bike on Saturday and you have to wait until Sunday to open yours? Every single year? And there are going to be plenty of years when you want to get them similar presents - and even if you don't family will - so not only will Twin Two have to wait, they'll get the ripping-the-paper-off surprise spoilt too.
When they're old enough to choose that's one thing, but for two year olds, I think I'd do what someone suggested upthread - presents and a family celebration on day one, and a party on day two. Or whatever.

OhisHOME Thu 06-Apr-17 01:32:42

What about party one day special day out the other & seperate presents. Until twin 2 they decides they want to wait that extra day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now