Talk

Advanced search

Vanishing Twin Syndrome?

(4 Posts)
jbee664 Mon 21-Nov-16 10:19:03

Morning,
I had a scan at 7 and a half weeks (for reassurance following 2 previous miscarriages) At the scan, they could see 2 sacs - but one baby was measuring a lot smaller and had a weaker heartbeat, I think it was a week smaller in size) They said this baby may just pass away and be absorbed (I've since read this is called vanishing twin syndrome) and I would carry on with a singleton pregnancy. I was just happy and grateful to have one healthy pregnancy but I am now curious as to whether this could be a twin pregnancy....I guess I won't find out for 3 weeks when I have my scan but just wondered if this happened to anybody else and what was the outcome?

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
OldBootNewBoots Mon 21-Nov-16 10:42:48

hi, I had a twin that stopped growing about 9 weeks. I had a scan at 6 weeks due to spotting (fertility treatment - Clomid) and there were 2 with heartbeats, not different sizes but I got more spotting about week 9, and I insisted on a scan by week 9 and a 1/2 then they could see one of them had recently demised. I was very upset and kept hoping they'd made a mistake for a several weeks after that, it was surprisingly hard. The good news is my lovely DD1 is 6 years old now. I did have a PPH and a placenta that didn't come out cleanly, I have no idea if that was related to the twin or not, we thought it might have been.

OldBootNewBoots Mon 21-Nov-16 10:44:08

i was told vanishing twin syndrome is surprisingly common and most people never find out they had a twin as they don't get scanned typically til week 12

jbee664 Mon 21-Nov-16 13:03:07

Thanks for your response - I did think that - how we wouldn't probably have even known if we hadn't had the early scan. I just need to be patient and see what the next scan shows.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in