Talk

Advanced search

ID twins with learning disabilities, one much affected than the other - no idea why!

(5 Posts)
Bewilderedandbewitched Wed 13-Jul-16 19:10:05

Warning it's long!

My 6 year old ID twins have moderate to severe learning disabilities but L is streets ahead of G in terms of cognitive abilities, learning and communication.

We've spoken to our geneticist who says that ID twins can have significantly different abilities but that there must be a medical/environmental reason, unfortunately we have no idea what that reason is!

They were both v poorly when little, G more than L and we understand why that's affected her emotional development but don't understand why G's cognition is so hugely different (unless she suffered some brain damage when she had a respiratory arrest when tiny which is a horrendous thought)

I'd love to know if anyone else has ID twins with significant differences in ability. We want to do everything we can to help G achieve her full potential and stop her getting so frustrated. I also want to know how much of a pushy, pain in the arse mum I should be when asking for further assessments (we've already asked for a lot!) wink

Thanks for reading, sorry it's long! Xxx

monkeywithacowface Wed 13-Jul-16 19:14:49

Hi there I don't have twins but have a child with a learning disability and a close friend with ID twin girls that both have learning disabilities at different ends of the spectrum (one attends mainstream the other a SN school).

My advice would be to be a pushy as you can, you are your children's only advocate. Never feel guilty about being a pain in the arse.

Also you may find the SN children's section on here helpful there a some very knowledgable posters on those boards.

Bewilderedandbewitched Wed 13-Jul-16 19:33:52

That's really interesting Monkey, thank you! It's difficult to find ID twins who both have a LD so information like that is really interesting. Is your friend on here or FB? Do you think she'd be up for a messenger chat? Really no worries at all if not and thanks again xxx

monkeywithacowface Wed 13-Jul-16 21:44:28

I don't think she is sadly but TAMBA have a closed FB group for parent of multiples with disabilities and a special needs board. You have to email them to access the FB group. Details here:

www.tamba.org.uk/Support/Special-Needs

Bewilderedandbewitched Wed 13-Jul-16 22:53:15

That's brilliant, thanks xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now