Talk

Advanced search

Will l ever feel half normal again!

(12 Posts)
Caper86 Thu 09-Jun-16 16:41:51

Reassurance/rant needed.

I'm very close to my induction date for my twins...and I can't wait! Yes I am very excited to meet them, however I am also very excited to get my body back.

It's been a tough pregnancy - HG, exhaustion, long commute to work, hips/back/legs giving up on me. Can any experienced twin mums tell me that you feel loads better once your babies are born? I can't even stand up anymore - the muscles in my feet are actually strained! I'm getting fed up of people saying to me 'just wait until they've arrived, then you'll know the meaning of tired.' (This is usually from singleton mums/friends with no children) just can't imagine it being any worse than it is now!

Any reassuring words for a first time twin mum with an aching, tired body?!

snorepatrol Thu 09-Jun-16 16:48:26

I didn't have twins so might not be much help but I had horrendous HG (I got entered into a research trial it was so bad I'd gone into renal failure)

Then I had the worst Pelvic girdle pain ever, I had to go on crutches and at the end of my pregnancy could only sleep sat up and only for an hour maximum. I had to crawl upstairs my hips hurt so much. I never left the house as it hurt too much to walk.

I felt so exhausted and ill, my dd for 10lbs 15oz and I had too much amniotic fluid too (forgot the official name) which I think was a major cause of the pelvic pain and with you having twins I'd imagine they've got a decent amount of weight on your pelvis too.

But ...

Quite literally the minute dd was born I felt amazing my pelvic pain went straight away is needed crutches an hour before she was born and was walking perfectly fine an hour after. My sickness went and while I was obviously tired I bottle fed and quite happily handed her over to dh for the first night and got an epic nights sleep.
I'm sure you will feel a million times better when you have your twins. Congratulations

idontlikealdi Thu 09-Jun-16 22:04:13

My hips and pelvis completely gave up on me. Literally as soon as they were delivered the pain had gone (might have been something to do with the truckload of painkillers...). I was in the shower 10 hours after EMCS standing and walking fine, I couldn't even hobble before.

Likewise the heartburn and acid - just gone.

It felt so good to feel normal again!

neversleepagain Fri 10-Jun-16 12:14:34

I remember the night they were born and feeling as light as a feather! Even after a c section the pain was much much better. I found the last month of pregnancy more painful than the c section recovery. I promise it does get better.

My babies and two placentas had a combined weigh of 17lbs, that was without the double fluid and blood a twin pregnancy has. My consultant said that a multiple pregnancy does has the same effect on the body as running a marathon does.

My pelvis was wrecked and it took 18 months for me to feel totally back to normal and for my pelvis to stop clicking when I walked!

yoyobananas3 Fri 10-Jun-16 13:11:26

The pregnancy is definitely worse than when they arrive, you will feel so much better after they are born. Although mine only had a combined weight of 10lb, I felt like I was going to explode. Best of luck. X

Caper86 Fri 10-Jun-16 13:55:42

Thanks all - very good to hear. At the moment they weigh approx 6lbs each, combined with 2 placentas, sacs and everything else that comes with it! The girls from my NCT class talk about going shopping or to pregnancy yoga - I can't even make it to the kitchen without feeling my legs are going to collapse underneath me! I swear I'm going to be doing star jumps round the post-natal ward!! grin

AnnaMarlowe Fri 10-Jun-16 14:00:04

You will feel better after the babies have been born but you will also (initially) feel like a truck has run over you.

Also brace yourself for how odd your body will look for the first few weeks after birth. I was shocked at how shocked I was (IYSWIM!) I didn't expect to feel that way.

It all sorts itself out in the end though and it's lovely being able to see your feet again!

Good Luck.

Andbabymakesthree Fri 10-Jun-16 14:09:46

You'll probably be high on adrenaline after birth too. Dont over do it!!!!

Eat well. Rest. Accept offers of help. Ask if it's not forthcoming.

When planned induction ?

Iwantagoonthetrampoline Sat 11-Jun-16 07:52:47

I was induced at 38 weeks - 11lbs of baby in total plus 2 plancentas and I'm quite small, so I think I got off lightly as no pelvic problems just sciatica the last 2-3 weeks meant could hardly stand for that bit. Really feel for those who have pelvic pain for longer periods. I know someone whose been signed off work at under 20 weeks because so bad already. Remember well the lack of sleep too. Needing to turn over in bed but feeling I needed a crane or something to help shift, then just getting vaguely comfortable and needing another bloody wee! Weirdly my sciatica disappeared the day before my induction, which was then relatively quick and I didn't even need the hornone drip, so I'm pretty sure things were getting moving anyway. Pre birth pain/uncomfortableness was replaced with different post birth pain but at least it was easier to move around and the babies distract you from it, so remember to look after yourself and take it easy. Your body has been through so much. Take all the help you can get and just concentrate on your own recovery as much as possible and establishing breastfeeding (if that's what you're going for). Let OH and others do everything else. I don't think I even changed a nappy for the first 2 weeks!

DorothyHarris Sat 11-Jun-16 09:45:50

Hi my two were 6lb 8 and 7lb 9 and I had a section. I felt a huge relief straight away (obviously in some pain from the section) now I'm 12 weeks post section and feel brilliant! I'm so relieved to never have to be pregnant again and the exhaustion after was nothing like being pregnant with twins. Single mums think they know what it's like, they have no clue! I cried everyday for the last week as I was so exhausted and fed up. My singleton pregnancy was nothing like my twin one.
The thing is soon it'll be a distant memory!!

SnowInLove Tue 14-Jun-16 21:22:45

You will feel amazing after they're born! For me, newborn twins were so much easier than the last few weeks of a twin pregnancy.

TheEagle Wed 15-Jun-16 19:33:48

I had a horrible twin pregnancy from about 20 weeks - loads of voniting, couldn't eat, horrendous heartburn and caring for my 14 month old was also crippling me.

The moment my 2 were born (combined weight of 11lbs 11oz) I felt SO MUCH better. I had an emergency section in the end but my recovery was absolutely grand.

Best of luck grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now