Talk

Advanced search

Stop assuming we don't want another baby after twins!!!

(10 Posts)
Laurajay84 Wed 01-Jun-16 22:22:37

A comment my MIL made today has upset me - and to be honest, it's not just her, my mum makes the same comments all the time too.

We have 3 year old identical twin boys. Today I was talking about sorting out our toy baskets as there is still a lot of baby toys lurking in there. My MIL said 'don't throw them out as your sister will be wanting them soon'. angry Aaarrghh.....why won't WE want them?? Why does it seem like everyone thinks that because we have had twins that our family is finished? We do want another baby soon but I just feel really awkward because it feels like the way everyone is talking, they assume that we don't need any more children. sad I almost feel like we have to explain ourselves for daring to want a third child hmm

VictoriaRoses Wed 01-Jun-16 22:39:54

I have b/g twins and we get that a lotconfuseddidn't realise people would say that if you have two the same?

neversleepagain Wed 01-Jun-16 22:46:54

I get the opposite, I often get asked when we're having number three!

Never!

Tftpoo Mon 06-Jun-16 14:22:46

I have twins and a newborn. There's just over 2 years between them and I've had a few people ask if the baby was planned. Yes she was, very much so (in fact the gap would have been smaller if I hadn't have had a MC)! Some people find it hard to understand why we'd want more after twins. People do say some daft things - having twins seems to attract unthinking comments.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 29-Jun-16 17:31:13

4 year age gap between twins and Number 3. Reactions ranged from not speaking to me for a few weeks (my mum) to "why?" to "you must be mad?". She genuinely completed our family as she tore through it like a whirlwind!

parallax80 Wed 27-Jul-16 21:16:24

I have an older one and b/g twins. I almost want a 4th just to stop people saying "well, that's you done then". but not sure my sanity wld survive if it turned out to be 4 and 5

AutumnRose1988 Mon 09-Jan-17 07:50:15

Random stranger: "Wow. Twins. I bet you're glad you've got it all done in one go."

next aisle of supermarket

Random stranger: "Wow. Twins. I bet you're glad you've got it all done in one go."

Times this by 20!

A visit to the supermarket is like trying to walk round with a celeb! For god sake I can barely get out of the house please let me enjoy my 45mins of shopping in peace because every minute I spend with a passer by is time lost before I have to feed again..oh and another thing...random stranger please do not stroke my baby's face or hold their hands!

ImYourMama Mon 09-Jan-17 07:53:39

I don't have twins but I cannot believe the amount of input random strangers expect to have on your family!

DD1 is 3 months old and several people have cooed over her and said 'oh wouldn't you love a little brother or sister' - uhm I nearly died having her so why don't you piss off and worry about your own life?!

nuttyknitter Mon 09-Jan-17 08:02:27

When I told people that I was pregnant again when my DT were four years old the standard reaction was 'Are you pleased?' which I always took to mean 'Was this a terrible mistake?'!

BobbieDog Mon 09-Jan-17 08:08:22

People do this when you have children one of each sex.

I'm pregnant with dc2 which is a boy and the sonographer told us we didn't need to come again now we have one of each

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now