Talk

Advanced search

D' ya ever wonder if we'll get through in one piece?

(280 Posts)
Minisoksmakehardwork Mon 30-May-16 09:45:12

Morning girls. I've found us a new home <rolls out shagpile, pushes fully laden trolley into corner. Brews tea and puts coffee in cafetière. Wafts smells of freshly baked cakes out of the door and arranges flowers in vases. Hangs pictures on the wall. Taps foot impatiently waiting for comfy sofas to arrive>

So as we were so nearly finished the thread I did my best to fill it up to completion. I hope you don't mind. I'm hoping you all find your way here too from then links I have sent.

This morning is dull and breezy in minisoks area. We're supposed to be meeting friends (though with no fixed arrangements) and dh is currently snoring his head off in bed. I might be slightly annoyed as my lie in yesterday got cut short with James waking me up to get his kindle and then my parents texting me to come over. I can't really grumble about that as they were bringing Emily her birthday presents but still. I think he's now had enough so I'm not discouraging the noise and thumping up and down stairs. 8 years old! So I now have an 8 year old, a 6 year old and the twins are 4! I can't believe how much they are all changing and growing. Jen does gymnastics, Joshy does toddler football. James is on an under 6's team (I've no idea how that works either) and has been invested in beavers. Emily is loving brownies and hockey, although hockey has finished until September . We're just trying to get some practise in for her so she doesn't completely forget what she's learnt.

Oh, and not forgetting Merlin the magnificent. He's a gorgeous puss, even if the children do love him to torturous degrees - poor kitten hides when he's had enough 'love'.

Enough of me, how the devil are you all?

triplets Wed 24-Aug-16 22:12:47

Hi girls..........this heat is killing me with the theatre socks still on for another week! Went out for the first time today just to the doctors to get half the metal clips out, rest tomorrow...........ouch!! Feeling stronger every day, up and down mentally, panic sets in in the small hours. Had a lovely surprise at 2.15am today, phone rang and it was my soldier boy in Canada, he is on a 31 day exercise and only gets his phone back when it maintenance days. He was so worried about me bless him. Hoping to get more sleep tonight but its baking in here! Kale Nits xx

shabbs Thu 25-Aug-16 20:03:53

Ouch to the doctors trip but brilliant that your lad contacted you - hope you are soon fighting fit my dear friend xx

triplets Thu 25-Aug-16 22:35:53

Back to docs and had the rest of the stales out, not too painful. Bit worried about one area that hasn't quite knitted together so she put steri strips on and a big dressing and now have to go back again next Tues! May have tried to do too much today, only stuff like peeling spuds sitting down but feel worn out! Hate being like this!! x

shabbs Sun 28-Aug-16 19:01:20

Hope you are improving each day Trips - know what you mean about being ill and having to try and take things easy - drives me mad!! <<whispers quietly>> there is only here that I can say how I feel lol.....this is our third year without going to Greece and there is no chance we will be able to go again for the foreseeable future. Had a video call on facebook from Ged - he used to be the resident entertainments bloke at our hotel in Faliraki. A crackpot Scouser who Tom loved from the first time he ever met him - when Tom was just 4. I know this will sound daft but after he finished the call I sat here sulking and crying like a baby <<hits her own face hard>> daft isint it? Ah well - think we need another virtual holiday Trips. xx

Minisoksmakehardwork Sun 04-Sep-16 18:12:54

How's it going Trips? Hope recovery is still going in the right direction.

Shabs, I hope you get back to Greece soon. I have a love for Cornwall and miss the place terribly. Not quite the same but close enough to empathise. We won't get there this year. No time!

I can't believe it's only 2 more sleeps until the twins start school! More and more I'm thinking of what I'm going to be able to achieve once they are there full time. I'll be childminding from October, for a local mum I know. Her daughters are lovely and the youngest seems to like me apparently.

Minisoksmakehardwork Tue 06-Sep-16 10:14:02

What's that I hear? The sound of a kettle quietly boiling, tea bag in mug. The sky box tuned to a radio station of my choosing. The gentle snore of a sleeping husband. Silence!!

Jennifer and Joshua have started school. Of course I will be picking them up at lunch time. But for the first time in weeks I can go to the loo without a constant stream of visitors or having to shriek at them 'just because I'm out of the room'. Bliss.

shabbs Tue 06-Sep-16 11:31:56

I feel like I have gone deaf!! Only had Lew for four weeks over the summer - they had two lovely weeks holiday - one in Angelsey and one in Newquay. Its sooooo quiet here - no 'Annnnnnnnndma can we, can I, Im hungry etc etc. He is a wonderful lad, and I love him with all my heart - BUT I am enjoying today.

Minisoksmakehardwork Sun 18-Sep-16 21:43:28

Ha ha ha.

Guess what??? The twins started school <sobs>. Tomorrow they will be full time 8:55-3:05. I've joined the pta!

Can't believe yours are off to uni and such now trips. It seems so far away right now.

shabbs Mon 19-Sep-16 22:09:53

One of my friends just posted this on Facebook....it says it all....

Nobody saw you,
nobody at all

at 3am when
they woke again.

Nobody saw you
picking up the peas,
wiping up the beans,
emptying the laundry basket,
taking out the bins

again
and again.

Nobody saw the crust of toast
that fell out of your bra when you got undressed at night,
such a glamorous life

being mum

wiping noses
washing faces
trying to stay calm.

(for fuckssake)

Nobody saw you
when you were so bored of playing princess ninja pirate turtles
but you said, ‘ok,
just five more minutes,
just one more time,
just one more go,
just one more round’

and then said it again ten minutes later.

Nobody saw you
holding the toddler who wouldn’t be put down
but also wouldn’t go in the buggy
but also wanted to walk but only in the opposite direction
and ‘oh look!
a stick/discarded lolly/dog poo/pebble/cigarette butt/the sky!’

Nobody saw you holding the sick bucket in the night
or on the way back from school
nobody saw you holding a jacket,
a rucksack, a book bag, a sunhat,
a scooter, the baby, a half-eaten apple
and an art project made out of three cereal boxes taped together
and covered in glitter glue,

holding soft little hands at bed time,
holding angry little bodies still kicking and shouting,

holding it together,
holding on,

holding a hungry little head
to a boob as hard as concrete
in those early days
of chaos.

Nobody saw you winding the bobbin up
and winding it back again
and pointing to the ceiling
and pointing to the floor
and pointing to the window
and pointing to the door.

Nobody saw you when it was raining again
and the kids were sick
and you didn’t leave the house for three days.

Nobody saw that.

Nobody saw how many times you watched ‘The Gruffalo,’
on the third day,
how many times you read about what happened to igglepiggle’s blanket
or the one about the inappropriate pets
sent by the zoo.

Nobody saw you in the car
when you dropped the baby off for the first time
when you promised yourself you wouldn’t
but you cried all the way home
all the same.

Nobody saw when you were empty
but you gave something
but you made something
but you thought of a game
but you said sorry to a little face
for being cross, for snapping again.

I haven’t seen you for a while
we haven’t chatted for too long
but I when I see those lovely pictures of your kids
you post sometimes

I feel like I am seeing you,

the mum behind the kids
behind the babies
and the bumps
and the toddlers smiling into the camera

I see the wipes and the nappies and the games and the songs
I see the snot and the poo and the tantrums and the kisses
I see you putting little arms
into little cardigans
and brushing tiny teeth.

(whilst being kicked in the face)

Nobody sees all of the things that you do
all of the ways that you manage
and with questions like,
‘So when are you going back to work?’
You can end up feeling like one of the hardest jobs
you have or will ever have done
is simply reduced to dossing around at home.

Nobody sees you sometimes
but you are building something
that will never be torn down
a love that cannot be removed

and sometimes it is boring
and sometimes it is the worst
and sometimes you have never been happier

Nobody saw how much you gave
every day
every night
every 5am
every 5pm
every moment.

Have I ever told you
that I think
you are such a wonderful Mum?

Let’s get pissed together soon ok?

Minisoksmakehardwork Mon 19-Sep-16 23:51:55

Oh that just sums it all up shabs.

Minisoksmakehardwork Tue 20-Sep-16 21:49:37

WHERE IS EVERYONE??? <peers through a fog of dust and glinting empties>

triplets Thu 22-Sep-16 00:39:24

<< oils trolley, wipes dust off with sleeve, piles high with homemade quiche, cold chicken and left over potato salad, two cans of John Smiths and half a bottle of flat Lucozade>>

Good morning girls, apologies for being awol...........most of you know whats going on with me I think. Oh summary for those that don't. Had full hysterectomy 5 weeks ago, still recovering, still sore and swollen and tired and fed up of having to rest! Histology results were in 2 weeks ago, ovarian cancer stage 1c2. Had dreadful first appointment with the oncologist last Mon, I was sick with nerves. Now waiting to hear when chemo starts, 6 cycles 3 weeks apart of carboplatin. Will finish around Jan...............cant believe I am typing this. Its been caught early so I am very lucky, the chemo is precautionary though I will have an 18-20% chance of a recurrence. Such a blood awful summer. Down to three of us now, Rebecca has gone off to her new life at uni with her boyfriend, had on 5 min call in almost a week, then she didn't ask how I was sad Soldier boy flies back to Germany from Canada on Sat, hoping to be home end of Oct for a week, haven't seen him since July. Dh been so good to me, kept me sane and really looked after me. Have now got to go for an ultrasound as 3 pea size lumps have appeared on my abdomen, doc says cannot be anything nasty but its worried me..............stress!
Better get some sleep haven't slept well for weeks, any chance of breakfast in bed................not fussy but kippers would be nice! Trips xx

shabbs Thu 22-Sep-16 08:02:35

<<heaves at the thought of Kippers>>

Oh my gawd Trips - sounds like a very 'interesting' time. I have no words....no words that would help - except get better soon, I think about you every day and wonder how stuff is going. Glad that DH has been looking after you.

<<puts a plate of kippers out <<tries not to be sick>> and a pint of Ouzo>>

Wellllllll you are allowed a pint of Ouzo - that way you will be so pi&&ed you wont care.

xxx

triplets Thu 22-Sep-16 08:23:10

<<wipes oily butter off of chin, never knew Lancashire kippers tasted so good, feel set up for the day now>>

shabbs Fri 23-Sep-16 10:47:39

Happy 38th wedding anniversary Trips & Mr Trips xxxx

triplets Fri 23-Sep-16 22:32:31

Thank you Mrs H! Was having a nice quiet day enjoying the sunshine when at 3pm was suddenly struck with a case of the trots followed by feeling sick.......out of the blue. Felt better by 7pm so had fish n chips and a glass or two of fizz............now regretting it sad x

triplets Fri 23-Sep-16 22:33:35

Twas the kippers wot did it!!!!

Minisoksmakehardwork Sat 24-Sep-16 15:59:06

Kippers envy!

I've just insulted my neighbour. I told the second woman I'd spoken to her daughter. Woman goes "my partner". Whoopsie blush

bubby64 Fri 30-Sep-16 21:56:48

Hello All, after several years, I've come back to mumsnet and the D'ya ever thread, hi girlies🙋🙋

bubby64 Fri 30-Sep-16 22:15:18

Trips, my love, glad everything has gone well so far. I hope that you manage the chemo well too. Been a bit of a bumper summer for me, back started to give me bother in June, started to get better with physio and med, then suddenly got very bad and I ended up in agony in hospital in August, had an MRI and they found that a little tumour was back and had squashed the disc onto my sciatic and femoral nerve. The did keyhole surgery and then a nerve block and this relived the pain, but has left me with little feeling in my left leg. However, my work has been brilliant. They have transferred me into the office and I am now the assistant nurse manager. No more regular travelling, although I am still doing some trips away. I love my job!

shabbs Sat 01-Oct-16 00:56:44

BUBBY........hiya love xxx

triplets Sun 02-Oct-16 00:19:35

<<scrubs trolley..oils wheels.......lays out vol-au-vents, gala pie and some John Smiths.........ties on bunting and blows balloons>>
Welcome home Bubbs cake wine!! xx

Minisoksmakehardwork Sun 02-Oct-16 21:31:37

Hi Bubbs.<waves frantically>.

triplets Wed 12-Oct-16 07:22:05

So where is everybody? Well had my first chemo yesterday and it was far from the unpleasant experience I though it was going to be! Was in and out of the bright cheerful unit in 90 mins. Had a comfy reclining chair, hot wraps around my arm, fluffy pillows, free lunch and just the kindest nurses both male and female. Hardly had time to read my book! Next one is 1st Nov. So far feeling ok, no doubt wont as time progresses, got lots of meds to take at home to help. So hoping you will be supplying me with lots of cake and choccy nuts..........don't worry to fill the trolley! xx

shabbs Wed 12-Oct-16 14:15:09

Im here Trips <<waves like a loon>>

Glad it wasn't as bad as you thought. Was thinking about you and hoping everything was going ok. <<searches for cake and chocolate nuts>> xxxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »