Talk

Advanced search

Toys for 8 wo twins

(15 Posts)
RubySlippers77 Thu 03-Dec-15 13:13:02

My boys are now 8 weeks old and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for toys I could use to entertain them with? I do a lot of the childcare on my own, hence one or the other is often in a bouncy chair whilst the other is being fed or changed. That was fine when they were very little but now they're getting more alert it would be nice for them to have something to play with/ look at whilst in their chair!

I was thinking something like a mobile, but can't find any stand alone ones, only ones you attach to a cot. Or maybe something else that moved/ lit up which they could watch - the toys over their bouncy chairs aren't very exciting :-(

Any recommendations gratefully received, the boys are starting to look a bit bored! I have lots of toys that I can use when I play with them (although feel free to suggest those too!), but there must be something they could use when in their chairs on their own for a bit?!

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 03-Dec-15 13:16:34

We had a large rubber ring thing with stuff that dangled down.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 03-Dec-15 13:18:08

Its a playnest and gym on google

Akire Thu 03-Dec-15 13:19:09

Baby gyms or play mats. Have frame that baby sits under and watches/wiggles arm to touch. Not very exciting but that's about as good as it gets at 8 weeks!

mouldycheesefan Thu 03-Dec-15 13:21:37

Yes play may baby gym could try a wrist rattle John Lewis have nice selection of toys for little ones have to admit mine didn't do toys at that age they were barely awake!

namechangedtoday15 Thu 03-Dec-15 13:27:27

You can get little machines that project lights onto the wall, or things that play music. TBH, I didn't do very much for the other when I was changing one other than to sing badly and rock the bouncy chair with my foot. Telling stories, making funny noises. Stuff you're probably doing all the time. Agree that play mats / baby gyms are good - we used to have a mat where if they rolled over on a particular part of it (appreciate this is some way off) a light would light up and another part made a noise.

Congrats by the way. Its a difficult time smile

RubySlippers77 Fri 04-Dec-15 09:24:02

Thanks everyone smile

We did a lot of playing on a mat yesterday as the boys happened to be awake at the same time (they still sleep a lot). Perhaps too much playing as they both awoke twice in the night absolutely starving! They are tired out this morning...

Currently deciding whether to pay for a baby signing class next year. It's £70 per child per term and I'm not sure I can justify the cost, but they did enjoy the free taster class we went to. At the moment we're trying lots of things!

namechangedtoday15 Fri 04-Dec-15 10:15:27

That's quite steep for 2 but we did it too and mine loved it. I don't think we started until they were 6-7 months though. Is there a baby massage class locally or a twins/multiples group (my saviour!)? I looked for classes that were in a hall / building where there was a cafe attached then most of the mums used to go for a coffee after the class! Saved my sanity in the early days having other new mums to chat to!! Good luck x

FreeButtonBee Fri 04-Dec-15 10:17:59

Tt jellycat crinkly books are brill. You can lie them on their chests and they can have a furtle. We got great use out of ours. They also had a good chew on the tails poking out thensides

RubySlippers77 Sun 06-Dec-15 11:58:24

Thanks all. I guess I just feel really guilty as the baby I'm not feeding/ changing looks very bored in their chair!

I think that's why I find the classes useful too - bit of social structure and I feel like I'm doing something with the kids. Unfortunately our nearest twins club is about 30 mins drive away and the times aren't great, but hopefully we'll get to go soon.

Off shopping soon to avoid a grumpy OH. Maybe I'll find some decent toys then...

Nicknamegrief Sun 06-Dec-15 12:01:03

Some baby signing groups charge per family- TinyTalk used to work this way. I'd recommend them.

Artandco Sun 06-Dec-15 12:04:50

Get some mirrors and add low down on a wall. That way they can lay on blanket and see themselves in the reflection.

Get some fairy lights and string up somewhere nearby.

Get some various materials to touch. Silk/ wool/ cotton/ velvet.
www.myriadonline.co.uk/pure-silk-play-cloths-play-silks.php, this place have some nice cloths, they can be drapped semi over a play gym or similar and lay under. They are good as they can use them as they grow up for den building/ dressing up etc

PreAdvent13610 Sun 06-Dec-15 12:07:09

I used a sock dryer, attached to the ceiling. Used to peg all their favourite toys on there. They could look at it, try and swat it or be given a toy to chew. Meant I could rotate toys and wash as needed.
Newborn DT was a budget time of life.

RubySlippers77 Sun 13-Dec-15 16:53:41

Thank you so much for all the suggestions grin

I'm bidding on a jumperoo on eBay, think it's a bit much for them yet but I can store it for a few months!

Cornwall73 Sun 13-Dec-15 20:45:26

I second everything the others have said. My two loved crinkly books.
However, the cheapest and best toys 'I made' were filling up a couple of containers such as a small water bottle and a small container of Christmas chocolates with rice and another with dried beans. They loved rolling them, rattling them, waving them about, trying to grab them on the floor. I ended up taking them in the buggy all the time and whipping them out if tempers were fraying. We still have them and they still play with them at 2.5yrs. Our children centre made some but with glitter and sparkly paper as well as rice and my two always gravitate towards that corner when we visit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now