Talk

Advanced search

pregnant:insanely tired

(12 Posts)
redsquareyellowsquare Sun 09-Aug-15 12:45:58

I'm 25 weeks with mcda twins and i'm so tired i am grinding to a complete stop. I can't rest anywhere near as much as I need to due to a toddler, but even considering this I can't believe that this is normal. We spend A LOT of time reading books and doing jigsaws and I am getting friends and family to help as much as possible.

I can walk less than quarter of a mile, and this is a really big effort, ideally I stay in the house. I can hardly keep my eyes open in the afternoon and taking a shower wipes me out for hours.

I did tell the midwife and she said to rest more (which I can't). My iron was low, but not anaemic, and I have been taking iron for months.

Is this normal? Is this just what twin pregnancies are like (I would be depressed but accepting!), or is there something wrong with me that I need to chase up with the midwife/doctor.

Thanks.

FreeButtonBee Sun 09-Aug-15 12:51:25

That sounds really tough. My twin pregnancy was hard (VERY hard) but I wasn't as tired as that. Having a toddler and being pg with multiples must be truly awful so sympathy.

At 24 weeks, I was starting g to slow down but could still go for a long-ish slow walk for a mile or so, managing to go out for dinner til 11pm but lots of rest/naps at the weekend. I worked til 32 wks (desk job but commute in London tube).

So if say you sound more tired than my 'normal' but it's hard to say if it's extreme as it is so tough for some that it might not be extraordinary. Take all the help you can. I dodged showers/got takeaway/went to bed at 8.30 etc to get me through. And take heart that although newborn twins is fucking hard, it's amazing toget your body back even in part. The lightness is wonderful!

RockerMummy184 Sun 09-Aug-15 15:04:43

I'm in exactly the same boat. 29 weeks at the moment and sick of the only advice being "slow down" as I also have a toddler and full time job and physically can't "slow down" any more!!!
I have no advice to give, but just wanted you to know that you're not alone.
I asked for my iron to be checked at my last appointment (last Wednesday) and was told on Friday that I'm not anemic, which is fair enough, but I thought my iron levels could still be low and asked for this to be checked, which my gp point blank refused!
I'm currently laid in bed while DH and DS are out at the beach because I walked for about 15 mins earlier and now I'm exhausted. I feel so terrible because weekends are the only time I get to spend all day with them both and I just feel like I'm letting them down massively.
I'm finding it difficult to breathe, I keep going dizzy, my head is pounding all the time, and my motivation levels are at an all time low.
flowers and cake for you.

quesadillas Sun 09-Aug-15 21:13:16

Same here. I'm 32 weeks and have a toddler, and I'm just trying to take one day at a time. I keep telling myself that I don't have to get through this day again, once it's done, it's done.

Honestly, if the doctor said that now was a perfectly safe time to deliver them, I'd go for it. But I know they need a few more weeks cooking first!

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Mon 10-Aug-15 10:00:58

Yep, seems like there's a few of us in the same boat. 27 weeks here and have a job and a nearly 3 year old toddler. Exhausted.
I do think it's probably normal. We're growing two whole humans. Do you have any other childcare options? I'm trying to put dd in nursery every so often for a day when I'm off work so I can just low down.
God it's physically very very tough though.

RockerMummy184 Mon 10-Aug-15 13:39:23

I've got a Dr's appointment at 3pm, I'm going to bite the bullet and ask to be signed off work. I feel like I'm taking the easy way out and that I'm failing myself but I can't cope like this any more!

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Mon 10-Aug-15 13:45:48

How much longer are you supposed to be working? I think if you're signed off after 29 weeks, you're employer can consider it the start of your maternity leave. I only mention it because if you have accrued holiday left to take, you'll lose it so it's worth taking it now and then starting your maternity leave once you've finished using up your holiday.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Mon 10-Aug-15 13:48:40

Just googled and I'm totally wrong- it's if you're signed off sick within the last 4 weeks before your due date. Sorry- ignore me!

redsquareyellowsquare Mon 10-Aug-15 15:48:51

rocker I just read your thread and actually I think it is you that needs all the flowers and cake. I really do feel for you. I have never felt this bad in my life, but my dh is doing a great job of looking after me, and I can only imagine how bad it must be for you without support.

Workwise I am a teacher, so on holiday at the moment. I was planning to go back in September and work though until week 32. Week 32 feels ambitious, but I find work so much easier than toddler, I will be going back still. I totally understand why you wouldn't want to rocker, and actually if you are normally in work I suppose you will still have the childcare so will get a proper break at home. (mine is all friends and family anyway).

I saw the doctor this morning and he said apparently it is 'normal' so I guess we all put our heads down, try not to cry too much sad and hope for the best! Good luck everyone.

Twicethehugs Wed 12-Aug-15 13:11:50

I was knackered a lot of my pregnancy and didn't have a toddler. I was anaemic too, worth keeping an eye on. I still kept active with swimming and walking but had to rest a lot and felt like an old woman at times!

Linguaphile Sat 15-Aug-15 00:32:19

I'm thr reverse--33 weeks pregnant and have twins turning two in a few weeks--and I can't imagine doing the twin pregnancy gig whilst running after toddlers. I am completely exhausted... more by them than the pregnancy, though, so I fel for you having to be so heavily pregnant with a toddler!

Do keep an eye on the iron. I was struggling to stay awake in the afternoons because I've been so tired, and it turned out my iron was really low. About two days after starting the pills I started to have loads more energy!

Linguaphile Sat 15-Aug-15 00:33:02

Eep, sorry, spell check apparently not working here...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now